English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 October 2016, 15:46   #1
Lemaru

Apollo A630 accelerator

Hi All,

So I have had an Apollo A630 / 33mhz card sitting at home since I brought it new form the World of Amiga show 98. However have never been able to use it on either of my A600 machines. I assume this to be incompatibility with the motherboard revisions I have (both are 1.5).

Issues are that the machine freezes and locks up randomly, this could be a few seconds after boot, or several minutes. I don't believe I have ever got more than 10-15mins out of it before a lock up.

I have tried the usual of adding heat sinks, bigger PSU, and there is a capacitor already present where advised to add one on the extreme A600 web page. I have also removed the crystal and added headers so that this can be changed so that it can be underclocked, but still with no success.

So following this I have now given up ever trying to get it working, and done have access to any other motherboard revision than 1.5's to test this on.

So my question is does anyone else have any ideas other than the basics of making sure its seated properly, adding heatsinks, changing/removing ram, etc etc.

Also does anyone know the value of one of these? As I have no idea, and would ideally like to sell it to put towards a Vampire 2 as soon as I get to the front of the queue.

Much appreciated.
Old 05 October 2016, 03:07   #2
paul1981

To fetch good money it needs to be known to be working. Is there any A600 owning friends you have who could test it on their machines? Perhaps an Amiga meeting/club if there's one in your area.
Old 05 October 2016, 07:37   #3
Sandro
Banned

if the accel works but is not stable, surely is the crystal, try desoldering it and replace for one similar value
Old 05 October 2016, 09:39   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@lemaru

Welcome to EAB =)

Firstly lets reduce the variables.
  1. Ensuring a good clean contact from the CPU and Socket is made, use alcohol wipes and a tooth brush if need.
  2. Remove the FPU and test
  3. Replace the memory SIMM for 60ns (or 50ns) FPM SIMM - I find these work best in Apollo accelerators.
  4. Replace the Crystal Oscillator.

Remember that the components are VERY old and are not designed for a 20 year life span, this includes the sockets so take extra care when removing the FPU.

If you are still having troubles from that point, then I would humbly suggest replacing the CPU
Old 05 October 2016, 15:02   #5
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
To fetch good money it needs to be known to be working. Is there any A600 owning friends you have who could test it on their machines? Perhaps an Amiga meeting/club if there's one in your area.
Unfortunately the only mate I know who still has an A600 is the same revision and its seen better days. There is the south west amiga group started to meet in Swindon, so will have to try and make it to one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
if the accel works but is not stable, surely is the crystal, try desoldering it and replace for one similar value
Already mentioned that the crystal has been socketed so it can be replaced. Have tried like for like and also a slower one and still no joy. Same issue occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Firstly lets reduce the variables.
  1. Ensuring a good clean contact from the CPU and Socket is made, use alcohol wipes and a tooth brush if need.
  2. Remove the FPU and test
  3. Replace the memory SIMM for 60ns (or 50ns) FPM SIMM - I find these work best in Apollo accelerators.
  4. Replace the Crystal Oscillator.

Remember that the components are VERY old and are not designed for a 20 year life span, this includes the sockets so take extra care when removing the FPU.

If you are still having troubles from that point, then I would humbly suggest replacing the CPU
1. Tried this one and cleaned up both the CPU and socket. CPU has been checked for bad joints too when I last tried to get it going again by the R&D techy guys where I used to work.
2. Been tried too. Removed it and same thing, can last a few seconds or 10mins or so, then freezes until the three finger death grip it performed.
3. Same issue even with no memory at all in the slot. Also tried many SIMMS (I got ALOT of them from a friend who used to work at a memory place years back).
4. Crystal already socketed, and tried a like for like crystal and also a 28mhz one and still no joy. Same issue with both.

I guess the age thing is now a factor, but as I had this from brand new back in 98 it had the same issues back then too. I have pretty much tried all I can think of, and everything suggested by other Apollo card users (Christian over at amiga600.de was one who made some suggestions). Appears theres been some who have this working on Rev 1.5 boards and others that haven't, and that it is quite fussy with 1.3 boards.

Guessing its either the board has always been faulty or its just incompatible with my rev 1.5

Thinking it may be worth sticking it on eBay as untested, possibly faulty and put whatever it goes for towards the Furia I have just ordered.

(Expensive hobby pulling out the old machines is becoming)
Old 05 October 2016, 22:07   #6
stachu100

The issue I've had with one Apollo 630 was bad CPU socket:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1101219...N--5ouXztnYuwE
Once replaced (and trimmed properly) no issues.
Old 05 October 2016, 23:15   #7
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stachu100 View Post
The issue I've had with one Apollo 630 was bad CPU socket:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1101219...N--5ouXztnYuwE
Once replaced (and trimmed properly) no issues.
What issues were you seeing before you replaced it?
Old 06 October 2016, 09:45   #8
stachu100

Card was very unstable.