English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 August 2019, 17:00   #81
roondar

X-Out had inertia!? I'm going to have to play a bit more of it and pay extra attention, I never even noticed it

I actually never player Blood Money, I took one look at a rolling demo I saw and immediately didn't like it. I hate shoot em ups with limited range weaponry.
Old 20 August 2019, 17:18   #82
Marle
Pixel Vixen

PC Engine.

Next Question?

Seriously speaking though, PC Engine/TG16 followed by Mega Drive and then SNES for me.

PC Engine has amazing shooters like Blazing Lazers, Gate of Thunder/Lords of Thunder, Air Zonk, Seirei Senshi Spriggan superb ports of R-Type, Salamander, Parodius, and even those which are middle tier are still great like Star Parodier and Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire....

Mega Drive has many classics, like Thunder Force II and III (IV is OK, but has an amazing soundtrack), Gynoug and many others.

SNES has Pop 'n Twinbee which I really really love.

I am well aware the PS2 has some amazing shooters e.g. Gradius V, but I only own a couple including Twinkle Star Sprites 'La Petite Princesse', and a few for PSX like the Parodius and Pop n Twinbee ports, and Raiden Project which also rocks.

The Amiga shooters I like are Apidya, Hybris and Battle Squadron. I also have some time for Banshee. I never really got on with games like SWIV and Agony, and I find Project X to be the most average shmup in shmupland.
Old 20 August 2019, 17:25   #83
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Mega Drive followed by PC Engine and SNES for that generation. (even PC Engine is 8bit)

Sega Saturn for its generation, followed by PS.

Never got into later games, even I played some, but never to extent I did first few generations...
Old 20 August 2019, 18:12   #84
Amigajay

Something i found out quite recently putting together romsets is that the PS1 actually has more SEU games than the Saturn (54-46) with more exclusives (20-17) with lots more available in the west compared to very few on the Saturn, after reading all these years that the Saturn seemed to have tons more that was a bit of an eye-opener.

I guess 2D games got more exposure on the Saturn esp in Japan than 2D games on the PS1 due to the negativity in the press of its 3D powers at the time.
Old 20 August 2019, 18:37   #85
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Something i found out quite recently putting together romsets is that the PS1 actually has more SEU games than the Saturn (54-46) with more exclusives (20-17) with lots more available in the west compared to very few on the Saturn, after reading all these years that the Saturn seemed to have tons more that was a bit of an eye-opener.

I guess 2D games got more exposure on the Saturn esp in Japan than 2D games on the PS1 due to the negativity in the press of its 3D powers at the time.
It's probably because the Saturn has more high quality games, while PS1 has stuff like X2, Philosoma, Shooter: Space Shot, that piss-poor port of Soukyugrentai and Stahlfeder .

Thought the Saturn has Terra Cresta 3D and Steam Hearts.... while the PS1 has Zanac Neo, Gradius Gaiden, Einhander....

Erm...

I don't know.
Old 20 August 2019, 18:46   #86
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
It's probably because the Saturn has more high quality games, while PS1 has stuff like X2, Philosoma, Shooter: Space Shot, that piss-poor port of Soukyugrentai and Stahlfeder .

Thought the Saturn has Terra Cresta 3D and Steam Hearts.... while the PS1 has Zanac Neo, Gradius Gaiden, Einhander....

Erm...

I don't know.
Whilst there are some stinkers on PS1, 30 of those 56 are multi-format games (24 same as on Saturn) so its not like its missing some great titles, i just think the Saturn has been hyped as a 2D powerhouse (rightfully so) and most 2D PS1 games get forgotten about.

Some are well worth checking out too, some of the pixelart is stunning on the obscure Japanese stuff!
Old 21 August 2019, 03:50   #87
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
I could name a few, all worse than Project-X. Darius+ and Sirius 7 instantly comes to mind.

There other 2 horizontal shooters on Amiga that are VERY good and are nearly completely unknown:

Ziriax, which I found out by trying out random WHDLoad games and I was completely blown away by it, and wondered how the heck I had never heard about it.

Powder, which I only heard first here on this forum and it's also a great game.
yikes \o/ Thanks from me and the rest of Five Stars Team!

Am still looking for people to help me with the source code so to do some spin-off using the same engine, have the source codes
Old 21 August 2019, 03:53   #88
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

By the way, if you really want to experience inertia in a shooter, refer to Aero Blasters on the PC Engine/Megadrive (Air Buster in the arcades), where the stratosphere section introduce you to the concept of "zero gravity flight" removing attritus...
...this means you move and ship does NOT stop once you release the stick

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by saimon69; 21 August 2019 at 05:07.
Old 21 August 2019, 04:15   #89
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
By the way, if you really want to experience inertia in a shooter, refer to Aero Blasters on the PC Engine/Megadrive (Air Buster in the arcades), where the stratosphere section introduce you to the concept of "zero gravity flight" removing attritus...
That was a gimmick specific for one level.

And I fucking hate that level.
Old 21 August 2019, 08:50   #90
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

PC Engine was really an awesome console.
Too bad it never got really traction here in germany..
Old 21 August 2019, 15:50   #91
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

The dreamcast had some fab SEUs too
Old 21 August 2019, 16:34   #92
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coagulus View Post
The dreamcast had some fab SEUs too
That'd be my vote with the limited experience I had. Whenever there is an office gaming party I'm always hopeful that a colleague brings his Dreamcast especially to play the (two player) shoot em ups.

But from what I've seen the PC Engine probably kicks the Dreamcast's butt when it comes to quantity of games.
Old 21 August 2019, 16:45   #93
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's classic shmups vs Bullet Hell. I mostly prefer the classic shmups. Though Ikaruga, Sturmwind and Border Down are pretty good.
Old 21 August 2019, 18:40   #94
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
It's classic shmups vs Bullet Hell. I mostly prefer the classic shmups. Though Ikaruga, Sturmwind and Border Down are pretty good.
Zero Gunner 2 is enjoyable. But you're right. For bullet hell I'd go Dreamcast and for classic I'd go PC Engine. With quite a few exceptions like Battle Squadron, SWIV, Axelay, Sagaia, R-Type, Warhawk, Lightforce and many more...
Old 27 September 2019, 00:25   #95
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I'll keep it short :
  • So far, my favorite PC Engine Shmup is Soldier Blade (I can lamulate on the big screen through the PS2 project PS2PCE), didn't try all of them yet
  • The Japanese version of Project-X2 aka X2 ~ No Relief aka X2 fixes some of the issues with the other PSX releases of that game, especially the enemy ships armor being too tough
  • @d4rk3lf Do not waste too much time on Apidya (or Agony for the matter), 32X exclusive Kolibri is the real deal in that particular segment
  • Most impressive Amiga shmup IMHO is T-zer0 (I am not saying "best" or "most challenging"), such an astonishing work of art
As for the question raised by the OP, I too would say Saturn.
Old 27 September 2019, 00:51   #96
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

You can't really compare Apidya and Kolibri. Apidya is a Gradius clone, while Kolibri is...well something similar to Ecco the Dolphin. But clearly no traditional shmup. Gorgeous graphics, but pretty boring imo.
Old 27 September 2019, 04:07   #97
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

PCE and for
Axelay i don't consider it as the best konami shoot, the best so far for me is :
gradius 5 ps2 and the best of all (for me).
If i give this one 4.8/5 there is plenty at 4.5/5 and more.
And no i don't consider axelay to have 4.5/5, 4/5 perhaps.
In a shoot them up the technicall aspect is not so much important for me,to push me, so far i need some adrenalyne to finish the game.
gradius is a good exemple, gradius 1 is hard but not too hard.
This is the balance between too hard and enough hard to push you to the limit.
Old 27 September 2019, 17:14   #98
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Kolibri it's not very good IMO. I always heard good things about it and when I finally managed to play it on a friend's 32X I was like "Heh?".

Also it was made by the guys who butchered Castlevania on our Amiga, so fuck them.

Gradius V wasn't developed by Konami. It was designed by Treasure, with G-Rev doing most (if not all) background graphics. Konami was obviously the publisher. Unlike most shmups of its era and previous Treasure shooters, I like the fact Gradius V doesn't have any complex scoring system that goes beyond "Kill most enemies"... and the level design and boss design is just out of this world, that game is freaking awesome.

But IMO it has the same problem of Radiant Silvergun. Sometimes sections of it are a chore to play it and its TOO FUCKING LONG. But I still think it's the best Treasure Shoot'em up by far (And I am acting like Silpheed: Lost Planet never happened) and it's surely on my top 10 shmups of all time, it's really an amazingly good game.

But I still think Gradius Gaiden is a better game that aged better. IMO Gradius Gaiden is the best Gradius game, the best Konami shoot'em up, but it's not the best PS1 shooter.

That goes for Zanac Neo, which I believe no one mentioned on this thread.

If you haven't played Zanac Neo, go do it now... It's my favourite shmup of all time, it's amazingly fun to play, it has a killer soundtrack, it has some real cool boss design, it has that hectic fun gameplay so characteristic from Compile, it has a shitload of different weapons for you to toy with, an interesting score system you can completely ignore if you want it, a fair amount of secrets to figure out....

It was really the perfect swan song for Compile. I was really sad when they went bust (I remember the day and where I was when I read those news), but I was glad they went with an amazingly good (best ever?) shoot'em up that was really strong to their roots, instead of another Puyo Puyo* game or some random average action RPG.

(* just to be clear, I *love* Puyo Puyo )
Old 27 September 2019, 19:50   #99
jarre

I think PC Engine / TG 16, was his time far ahead, great graphics and gameplay. Exellent games, and great sfx/music....too bad this console wasn't that populair in Europa and USA, it has for sure all the potencial.....
Old 28 September 2019, 17:47   #100
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Gradius Gaiden is the best Konami shoot'em up
Would you agree then that Darius II is the best Taito one (fortunately, it can be played on any softmodded PAL PS2) ?
Quote:
That goes for Zanac Neo, which I believe no one mentioned on this thread.
Same goes for Terra Diver aka SoukyuGurentai I believe, easily among the best shoot'em ups which were ported to the Playstation and / or the Saturn.