English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 October 2010, 20:15   #1
hceline

Network/A2065 problems, WinUAE 2.3.0

I have been doing some testing with the newest version the last days, trying to get debian-31r8-m68k installed. I succeeded in the end but I ran into some issues;

1. I can not get a2065 emulation to work, not with MiamiDX and not in Debian. With MiamiDX I've tried the included a2065.device and both driver/net/Ethernet.lha and /driver/net/a2065v216a.lha from aminet without success.

2. While having MMU emulation enabled the emulated system crashes randomly if I turn off bsdsocket.library emulation have not had time to test if this happens with MMU emulation turned off.

3. at first boot from hd before the base-config was run the debian system booted almost without errors, there was only the could not access hardware clock and DriveReady SeekComplete o.l. errors but after the base-config was complete it fails consequently at several steps during startup: see dmesg.out.txt

attached is also one of the uae.config files used when having these problems

Attached Files
File Type: uae testingdebian.uae (19.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: txt dmesg.out.txt (8.7 KB, 119 views)
Old 04 October 2010, 20:30   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Disable all virtual devices: RTG, uaescsi, uaeserial, bsdsocket, uaenet etc.. All extra harddrives (except Linux hdf and possible boot drive)

What do you mean by A2065 not working? How? Do you have separate physical NIC? Networking can get weird if both Windows and WinUAE use same physical NIC.
Old 04 October 2010, 21:19   #3
hceline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Disable all virtual devices: RTG, uaescsi, uaeserial, bsdsocket, uaenet etc.. All extra harddrives (except Linux hdf and possible boot drive)
Thank you that fixed issue 2 and 3
Quote:
What do you mean by A2065 not working? How? Do you have separate physical NIC? Networking can get weird if both Windows and WinUAE use same physical NIC.
I mean exactly that; not working.. I got a broadcom wireless card the windows uses, and a realtek gigabit card that I've disabled all windows protocols on. The setup is tested with Netwib, Netwox, Netwag (http://www.laurentconstantin.com/en/netw/) where I was able to create arbitrary mac/ip address pairs on the realtek interface that answered on arp & icmp requests. I also tested dhcp lease requests out form the realtek interface with arbitrary mac-addresses, witch worked. But when I chose the realtek card for a2065 in UAE i get nada. No dhcp address, and no-route-to-host on static ip setup.

Last edited by hceline; 04 October 2010 at 21:22. Reason: Spelling
Old 05 October 2010, 17:09   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Try this test version's logging mode: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=706030&postcount=12
Old 05 October 2010, 20:29   #5
hceline

Attached is the log after booting and trying to put miami online first with dhcp and next with static ip; then trying to ping the gateway a few times wich ends with
ping: wrote x.x.x.x 64 chars, ret=-1
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (17.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 05 October 2010, 20:56   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Redownload winuae.zip and try again, multicast detection checked wrong MAC bit and detected your physical MAC as a multicast address.. (hopefully this is the only problem)
Old 05 October 2010, 22:21   #7
hceline

Attached log from test with latest exe; behaves as the last from a user perspective.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (16.1 KB, 122 views)
Old 05 October 2010, 22:44   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Hmm.. Redownload yet again (and make sure winuae.exe date has changed), this time all received packets are logged, including broadcast packets. Logging is now also automatically enabled, do not use -a2065log parameter (because it will now disable full logging..)

Something is eating all received packets if log is still the same..
Old 06 October 2010, 13:47   #9
hceline

log from last test
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (18.3 KB, 107 views)
Old 06 October 2010, 14:10   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Nothing is coming back at all.. (or transmitted data gets dropped later)

Only received data is previously transmitted packet (this is normal, normally it gets dropped without logging)

Problem is either firewall/antivirus software, winpcap or network driver incompatibility.

I guess you can use wireshark or similar on other PC to see if packets really gets transmitted.
Old 06 October 2010, 20:11   #11
hceline

update, no other pc available at the moment but managed to get wireshark under xp in virtualbox to monitor the rest trough a usb-ethernet adapter. Whireshark files from test attached.

c8:0a:a9:81:ff:2f is winuae
00:80:c8:37:98:60 is the virtualbox
00:0b:6b:79:6d:15 is the router/dhcp server
00:0a:a9:81:ff:2f is me testing dhcp-request on the realtek with netwag just to prove that winpcap works

windows firewall is off and i deselected firewall when installing panda antivirus.
Attached Files
File Type: txt wireshark.txt (15.3 KB, 121 views)
File Type: txt wireshark.cap.txt (7.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 06 October 2010, 20:25   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

ARP replies have winuae mac as a destination which means transmitted packets do work, but for some reason reply packets disappear before winuae sees them. (They should be visible in winuae's log)

Do you see packet receive counters increasing in Windows network device status screen when winuae is for example pinging your router?

Tryr also deselecting all checkboxes in physical network device's properties screen (Client for MS networks, IPV4 etc...). My WinUAE-only NIC has all options deselected. Not sure if it helps anything..
Old 06 October 2010, 23:08   #13
hceline

Quote:
Do you see packet receive counters increasing in Windows network device status screen when winuae is for example pinging your router?
No. he counters do not move as long as all windows-protocols are disabled on the card.

Quote:
Tryr also deselecting all checkboxes in physical network device's properties screen (Client for MS networks, IPV4 etc...). My WinUAE-only NIC has all options deselected. Not sure if it helps anything..
done from the start, all protocols/clients ol disabled on the card.

As I could not get a packet count from windows I tried turning on sniffing in netwag.. and guess what, suddenly during the testing I got replies on ping .. I was running the usual test; first dhcp which failed.. then I tried putting the a2065 online with static address to ping the gateway,, and I suddenly get replies... the only thing I've changed since previous tests is that netwag held the network card open in sniffing mode using winpcap while testing
winuae log and netwag capture of the session attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt netwagsniff.txt (38.7 KB, 117 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (49.4 KB, 396 views)
Old 06 October 2010, 23:16   #14
hceline

update,, when I try to use dhcp again on the same session as last post it does still not work... the last parts of log and capture showing it attached

update 2.. if starting ping from emulator while netwag runs sniffing I get replies... if I let the ping continue and quit the sniffing task,, the ping does not get any more replies from the moment netwag/netwox stops sniffing
Attached Files
File Type: txt netwagsniff-anduaelog.txt (39.4 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by hceline; 06 October 2010 at 23:20. Reason: another update
Old 07 October 2010, 09:13   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Perhaps winpcap needs to be in promiscuous mode (listen to all packets, not just broadcast and packets that have your MAC) on your system to work properly.

Quite odd because it didn't receive anything at all previously, not even broadcast packets..

I'll upload new test version later today.
Old 07 October 2010, 19:12   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip updated

use -a2065_promiscuous command line parameter to enable always-on promiscuous mode.
Old 09 October 2010, 16:40   #17
hceline

With the latest version I still do not get the answers form the dhcp-server, but I am able to ping it when putting the a265 online with static ip, log and whireshark files attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (17.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: txt wirashark2.txt (9.9 KB, 134 views)
File Type: txt wireshark2.cap.txt (3.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 09 October 2010, 17:31   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Thanks, wireshark log shows DHCP server getting and sending valid DHCP offer.

But all broadcast packets are missing in the winuaelog.txt. Something is swallowing them before winuae/winpcap sees them..

Hmm.. I am running out of options. Redownload winuae.zip again, it might suddenly start working. If not, run it with -a2065log2 parameter ('2' is not a typo) and attach both winuaelog.txt and wireshark log during DHCP attempt.
Old 09 October 2010, 19:15   #19
hceline

It works!!!!
Thank you
Old 09 October 2010, 20:03   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Great.

Some DHCP servers seem to send DHCP Offer using unicast, some are using broadcast. Problem was that some broadcast messages were incorrectly filtered.