English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 26 December 2006, 19:28   #41
Bloodwych

Hi Anubis; thanks for a little feedback.

Only two spreadsheet programs I'm aware of are FinalCalc and Turbocalc, but it's better if the user installs them because:

a) They have to decide if an FPU is present in order to select an optimum version during install.

b) Very few people would need a spreadsheet in the base pack.

I like to keep the base software pack to the bare essentials that everyone would like installed as a starting point. Then you're free to add to it as you want (as marco has).

I am however going to add the open source browser AWeb. The the current HTML viewer has problems with modern pages (like the WHDload docs). This means as a side effect the P96 versions will gain web-browsing capability through the bsdsocket library in WinUAE. I'll probably add a TCP/IP stack as an optional install package too for those who want to have networking available on their real Amigas.

Those download links for the P96 and UAE versions are meant to be a bit harder to reach due to their size. Plus, they're not really part of the ClassicWB project - I made them because others kept downloading the packs and tried to install P96 straight away! I have to admit, with AIAB, AmiSYS and Amikit I never thought people would want a P96 ClassicWB.

I may make them a more integral part of the main page though after what you've said; depends on how much free time I get this week.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 26 December 2006 at 19:34.
Old 26 December 2006, 20:06   #42
Marcuz

i'm going to ask you later for a way for a complete and painless way to move/copy all the personalization stuff from one to the next release. but while i'm waiting, i just have an idea: why not to make all the program whdload based? provided that someone write the installs? so they could be moved infinitely
Old 26 December 2006, 20:39   #43
Bloodwych

To be quite honest marco there wasn't a really painless way to update major changes as mentioned before to peter; not with my limited free time and average install script writing ability anyway.

To tell you the truth it should no longer pose a problem to anyone very soon. I've considered this for a long time and decided the next release is going to be the final version in terms of major changes.

The only future updates will be those programs still actively developed for Workbench 3.0/1 which are WHDload and SFS. These are easy to install incrementally, so will come in the form of an update pack which can be applied easily (I'll add an update option to the tools menu).

Why? Well, most new software is designed for OS3.5+ so there is nothing major to update or change. The FBlit/Ftext and pure workbench boot were really the last major things I had in mind for the ClassicWB which has been updated for over 5 years!

I don't think there will ever be a new non-beta Scalos release as development, testing and interest is very low (and seems targeted at OS 3.5+ now). I've now put in place everything I possibly want, with the exception of OS3.5/PNG icon support which is really slow and pointless on most classic machines anyway - newicons are fine for that.

So fear no longer - the next packs will be the final versions that require a major re-install.
Old 26 December 2006, 21:00   #44
Marcuz

that's fair my friend, after all ClassicWB is already state of the art, if you ask me
Old 26 December 2006, 22:40   #45
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
I've now put in place everything I possibly want, with the exception of OS3.5/PNG icon support which is really slow and pointless on most classic machines anyway - newicons are fine for that....
Did you try out IconBeFast and PowerIcons already to speedup GlowIcons?
Old 27 December 2006, 12:40   #46
Bloodwych

Hi Peter - both those programs require OS3.5+

The beta Scalos does have support for PNG, so I'll look at what I can do.
Old 27 December 2006, 23:05   #47
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Hi Peter - both those programs require OS3.5+

The beta Scalos does have support for PNG, so I'll look at what I can do.
Yes, of course, IconBeFast v2 needs the icon.library v44+ of OS 3.5+ and
Scalos won't make use of the icon.library anyway, because it has its own
icon datatype system. But, you can still try out IconBeFast v1.16, which
is a patch for the graphics.library OptainBestPenA() function and which is
used even under Scalos for some color mappings. I don't want to promise
now that you will gain much speed with IconBeFast v1.16, because I've
never tested such a configuration with OS 3.1 and Scalos, but IconBeFast
at least shouldn't cause any conflicts in combination with Scalos as I hope.
Old 31 December 2006, 23:45   #48
retrogamer
Zone Friend

Is it posibole to add the newest update of Dir Opus to the new version of Classic WB?

http://aminet.net/package/biz/dopus/DirectoryOpus418
Old 01 January 2007, 03:20   #49
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrogamer
Is it posibole to add the newest update of Dir Opus to the new version of Classic WB?

http://aminet.net/package/biz/dopus/DirectoryOpus418
If I remember correctly that one require FPU to run.
Old 02 January 2007, 20:38   #50
Bloodwych

Anubis is partly right - that version of dopus is PPC only and for OS4.

There was a 4.17b (beta) version of dopus, but I'd rather stay with the stable 4.16 release. Shame really as 4.17 had some nice new features, but development stopped back in 2004.
Old 04 January 2007, 13:12   #51
Peter
Still an Amiga user

RE: The announcement of the latest and last version of Classic Workbench...

I just wanted to say a big thanks to Bloodwych for all the hard work that he has put into this project - I have only been using Classic Workbench for a short time but I think it is excellent and it has really got me back into the Amiga scene - I'm really enjoying using the A1200 again even though it cant be compared with modern machines...

Thanks again, Peter
Old 04 January 2007, 13:19   #52
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Well said,

Bloodwych has done a fantastic job with these packs, and I really wouldn't be using my Amiga half as much without ClassicWB.

You've done an awesome job and I'd have been more than happy with the current pack I've got installed on my A1200. To know we have your continued support (and minor updates) is superb

KUDOS to ya sir.
Old 04 January 2007, 17:38   #53
Marcuz

new versions are PREFECT! i've tryed both the UAE big package and the normal FULL version.
only thing i did not personally liked is the way the PC directories are shared in the new big pack (too complex for the purpose) , so simply i've modifyed. but all is stable, updated and good. thumbs up!
Old 04 January 2007, 22:03   #54
Bloodwych

Hey thanks guys!

It’s been a pleasure. I get much more out of EAB than I put in due to you lot contributing so many great things into the community. Just glad to be part of it.

The good news is that now I’m not working on the ClassicWB anymore, I can use more of my Amiga spare time to help others or contribute to other projects.

I’ve re-uploaded the main packs today BUT only because I forgot to defrag the images. Calling something final always puts the mockers on perfection, but hey, all I lost was some upload time. No content has changed at all so version numbers have not been altered, but I thought I’d let you know in case you want to re-download the optimised packs for your collections.

Marco, glad the final packs are fine for you (so far). Have you started adding your “stuff” yet?

The UAE version has the shared PC directory for games/demos etc for two reasons:
  • It doesn’t run out of space, so you can install as much as you want and easily manipulate/archive the collection in Windows.
  • If a game doesn’t work in one Workbench/config, you just boot up another and try it in that without having to have the games/demos installed in several different places.

Everyone has different tastes though. I like using shared PC directories as I often dump WHDload games in Windows (I know KG, bad habit), but others like yourself may prefer a different approach which is fine. That UAE pack is just an example of what is possible in WinUAE for beginners (and a bit of a showcase for all the ClassicWB’s), but not a final solution for everyone.
Old 04 January 2007, 23:05   #55
Marcuz

Bloodwych, i know what you mean about the mounted directories, i just think that the way they are used in the big UAE pack is too complicated respect the way i have always used: 1 main HDF, 1 HD-dir for games, 1 for storage. me too i have a bunch of setups, one for ClassicWB Full (the main one) 1 for the p96 version, 3 Workbenches (1.3, 3.1, 3.9) and AmigaSys: they all share the same two additional directories: HD-Games and Storage.
so if i need to test some game on a different setup, or to move files, dependencies etc, here i go.
however, i've finished of adding the usual programs and done some work on the preferencies. this last update is, as i said, great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	015.png
Views:	834
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	12907   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	12909  
Old 04 January 2007, 23:32   #56
Bloodwych

Cool, like I said everyone has their own tastes. I always access everything from the popup menu and don't really need the separate HD-dir's. That reminds me - remember to update your popup menu drawers (if you haven't already) in the s\user-startup so they point to the correct place for your files.

Anyway marco, who's the girl in the second screencap? I want to see her not all the program drawers! Although it could be your wife in which case I'll shut my mouth now! LOL!
Old 05 January 2007, 00:18   #57
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Certainly looks a bit more interesting than the "Marble Dark" backdrop I have...
Old 06 January 2007, 14:07   #58
cybernoid
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi from Portugal.
I bought recently a 4000 040 16mg fast 6gb (my christmas auto-present)
I had lots of troubles with os3.9, 1st because i still want to use my
old commodore 1084s and 2nd because of the chip ram was a bit low...
So i try ClassicWB Full
And It's GREAT!!! IT'S FAST, NICE LOOKING, NO MEMORY EATER (I can play
Replic demo with no problems)...
MANY MANY TKS.
Just one thing: If you gonna do some changes, please do them with the update thing you have on expansion, or something like that.
I'm installing some software and my mods, etc so it will be a mess to have to format this wonderfull thing.
This workbench deserves to be keep developed... at any cost

I think this is the real final workbench. I will buy an ethernet card to have aweb working.

Sincerelly Tks.

(Registered WHDLoad User)
Old 06 January 2007, 15:03   #59
Bloodwych

Hi Cybernoid, thanks for the story - glad the workbench works well for you.

Yes, all future updates will be through small zip packs that can be placed in the Expansion->Update drawer so you won't have to do a fresh install again.
Old 04 March 2007, 14:13   #60
Tyball

I just installed ClassicWB ADvanced on my Amiga 500 and it rocks! Maybe a bit slow on the 030-40 compared to WB3.1, but I guess a little tweaking may speed it up bit. I currently have 1MB chip-memory, but as I'm slowly maxing out my configuration, I'm planning on getting a mini-megachip at one time.

Anyway, just wanted to say: Thanks for all the hard work!