English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 13 January 2007, 17:23   #1
Solid Snake
Wonderful World Of Amiga

Elite 8-bit memories

Let me take you back to 1984. The home computer scene was beginning to take off and the BBC Micro was THE computer to die for. Along came ELITE from Acornsoft. It was unlike any game you had played at the time and became an instant classic with gamers everywhere. I remember playing for hours on end hoping to hit that elusive "ELITE" status with my next kill.
Occasionally your next hyperspace jump would take you to 'witch space' where you would encounter the deadly Thargoids. Trading in Alien items and firearms, dodging the Police and making a tidy profit between friendly systems was all in a good day's work for Commander Jameson in his trusty Cobra MkIII.

The Beeb's 6502 was amazing at moving vectors around the screen on a monochrome screen. O.K, to be fair the display panel had some colour. When the game was converted to the next big platform, the C64, it lost all it's magic. The C64 version was sluggish, despite cosmetic improvements and docking music. The C64 had a dedicated graphics chip, the VIC-II, which was superb at hzt/vert scrolling, but poor at vector graphics. This is exemplified by a number of vector games that followed Elite, with the exception of Paul Woakes amazing MERCENARY. WOW. This guy understood vectors on the C64 and I would have hired him to write Elite for the C64.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elite.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	12962  
Old 13 January 2007, 17:56   #2
X-ray
Angry Kid Fan

Elite rules. It gives me the fondest memories of any home computer game. Others that did the same (choosing only one per platform, or we get too many):

Demon Attack (Atari 2600)
Knightlore (Speccy) (a friend's machine)
Master of Magic (C64)
Wings (Amiga)
Command & Conquer (PC) (a friend's machine)
Extermination (Playstation)
Goldeneye (Nintendo) (a friend's machine)
Baldur's Gate (PS2)

If I count emulated games then I add Warcraft II played on Amiga under Shapeshifter.

These are all games that I will never forget.
Old 13 January 2007, 18:12   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I had this game on the C64.....

in '86 ( i was 12 in them days ).... i had more postits stuck here and there than they have at a factory that makes them,.... and sneaking to play the game when parents where in bed... scribbling down prices and even price forecasts....

while the numpties at school were learning basic cash crop enconmics... I was fully trading in galatic economics, playing polotical societies agasint eachother in dubious trades... and making a good living in my cobra mk3....

guys..... elite wasnt a game.... it was a way of life....
Old 13 January 2007, 22:29   #4
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
. O.K, to be fair the display panel had some colour. When the game was converted to the next big platform, the C64, it lost all it's magic. .

Rubbish! :-)

The first version of Elite I saw was the BBC one, and it was great. I used to play it at work in the lunch hour, whenever I could. I soon bought a C64 and when Elite finally came out, it knocked me out. True, the BBC version was smoother, and loaded in about 100th of the time, but despite the slightly flickery graphics, Elite on the C64 was very cool indeed. Obviously it had the extra missions, music and Tribbles as a bonus, but just the combat and the exploration and trading stood it in great stead. I think they also changed the point system for the better, and stopped the player from being able to sit outside a station and killing Viper after Viper. Yes, the best computer game ever - but no, the C64 version was brilliant.

My disapointment was reserved for the Amiga version which simply added filled vectors - and the Wolf Mk III. :-(
Old 13 January 2007, 23:31   #5
shillard

Elite on the C-64 kicks arse.

I bought it the week it was released in Australia, after wetting my 11yo pants after reading the review in "Personal Computer Games".

Who cares if it took 15 minutes to load from tape?

Who cares if it slowed right down when you were taking on a Thargon mothership and its fighter compliment?

It still rocks. I was playing FRONTIER last night on the A4000 - now the Imperial Courier, THAT is a ship....
Old 14 January 2007, 02:34   #6
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Relive those Elite memories:

Oolite - great version, very expanadable.
Old 14 January 2007, 02:39   #7
girv
Mostly Harmless

I played it for ages on the Amstrad CPC! I think that was a pretty good version as the CPC had a fast processor and a decent resolution for an 8-bitter. The game ran well even with a few enemies on the go and it had the secret missions and everything. Never found that Space Dredger though
Old 14 January 2007, 18:34   #8
Photon

Bought it for C-64, but never got that plastic code lupe to work. Turns out it only works for some people. Sold it with my C-64 and bought an Amiga. The Amiga version did it for me, I definitely would have been disappointed with line vectors and almost unplayable action.

Spent loads of hours on it and tried different things after I became Elite, tried starting as an outlaw and see how many cops I could kill, etc. I also loaded the save game where I had it all and plenty of cash and traveled as far away from Diso as I could. But eventually you ran into a 'nasty area' of the map - when most of the systems around you are anarchic, so anywhere you go you get attacked...
Old 14 January 2007, 18:55   #9
Adropac2
Zone Friend

C64 Elite was exceptional and remains so even now.I didn't go so much on the Amiga version to be honest but this and all versions of Elite were ported well enough.Nes Elite had a good interface that worked well for it and the Archimedes boasted maybe even the best version yet.As much as i do like Frontier and all that it managed to get right , it was a little bit fussy.Having a quick save as well only served in pulling players out of the experience which is a shame.
Old 14 January 2007, 19:57   #10
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillard
now the Imperial Courier, THAT is a ship....
Hell yea!

Old 14 January 2007, 21:51   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

one of the best exploits of frontier is the combat eagle and mining machines trick...

1. get some monet and by a lion trader..

2. buy 10 (maximum) mining machines..

3. buy escape pod

4. save game.

5. take off and then hit the escape pod...

as part of the escape pod deal you get a combat eagle, if you look in your inventory, you still have 10 mining machines sell them back and you get a combat eagle that has 300+ tonnage units

I had mine fitted with a class 3 military drive (and a class 14 civy hd), loads of shield gens, and hull repairers... about 10 cabins...

my combat eagle could fly through any type of enemy and wont get damaged...

needless to say because of the TRUE maths used to calculate distence via mass... 9 times out of ten i could arrive at my destination before i left my last one LMAO.... ahh.... fun times...
Old 15 January 2007, 10:40   #12
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I never had Elite or Frontier memories until I discovered emulation. This game is almost totally unknown in the US.
Old 15 January 2007, 11:16   #13
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
1. get some monet and by a lion trader..
Elite : The Fine-Art Space Trading Game(TM)
Old 15 January 2007, 13:05   #14
MOS-6581
Retrocomp photographer

Send a message via Yahoo to MOS-6581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
The Beeb's 6502 was amazing at moving vectors around the screen on a monochrome screen. O.K, to be fair the display panel had some colour. When the game was converted to the next big platform, the C64, it lost all it's magic. The C64 version was sluggish, despite cosmetic improvements and docking music. The C64 had a dedicated graphics chip, the VIC-II, which was superb at hzt/vert scrolling, but poor at vector graphics.
Just to clarify, it isn't the fault of the VIC-II. The simple explanation is the C64's CPU was 1MHz (0.98 to be exact...) vs. 2MHz on the Beeb.
Old 24 January 2007, 12:52   #15
Stewie42

Oh yes, good old Elite, probably the main reason I didn't have my first girlfriend until I was 16, and even then she was a huge fan of the game as well.

Also, I remember Frontier being released like it t'were yesterday.

It was announced on that thing on ITV with Andy Crane that it would be released the following day after over a year of waiting and empty promises from Mr. Braben.

Oh the memories of waking early the next morning to have my Mum drive me down to the only decent game shop in Crewe to pick up the only copy the shop had.

Imagine my utter horror when a week later, it got a virus and I had to go a whole day without playing it, ah well.

Old 24 January 2007, 13:04   #16
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

I'm surprised noone has mentioned the Acorn Archimedes version of Elite. It's incredible and my favourite version. I did spend a long time on the Speccy version initially but the Archie version blew me away! Runs very nice under emulation too!

[edit] whoops, didn't notice the title "8-bit memories" - anyhow, the spectrum version I enjoyed!
Old 24 January 2007, 13:09   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I'm not sure which I find more amazing, the fact that Elite had so many galaxies and planets (was going to have more!) or the fact that you found a girl who likes Elite.

Either way, both are pretty incredible
Old 24 January 2007, 14:24   #18
Stewie42

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
I'm not sure which I find more amazing, the fact that Elite had so many galaxies and planets (was going to have more!) or the fact that you found a girl who likes Elite.

Either way, both are pretty incredible
You're not kidding.

She was also the first person I knew who had a A1200, but you're right, an Elite playing girl was, and is, quite rare.

Old 24 January 2007, 18:50   #19
Angus
Amiga Games Database

On the subject of Elite Frontier, do any of you remember Alive Mediasoft? They used to print a mgazine (well, a pamphlett really, and the issue I saw advertised included a CD with amongst other things a hacked verison of Frontier with extra missions, and I think a mission editor. Now, surprise, surprise, the issue concerned was never delivered, but I wondered if this Frontier patch actually existed, and if any of you had come across it?
Old 24 January 2007, 20:02   #20
OSH

Elite? It's no game, it's a way of life
Yeah, I've played (and I play ) ELITE on my C-64. It was/is/will be a GREAT game. It was first, and IMHO one of the best games ever! I had a status "Deadly" but now I try to reach ELITE