English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 03 May 2017, 12:53   #81
roomeo

Sorry for my ignorance, but does zdoom rtg require fpu? Runs fine on my 060, but on my vampire it gives me an 8000 000B error which tells me an fpu is missing. However, the requirements don't mention fpu specifically.

Cheers
Old 04 May 2017, 03:08   #82
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomeo View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but does zdoom rtg require fpu? Runs fine on my 060, but on my vampire it gives me an 8000 000B error which tells me an fpu is missing. However, the requirements don't mention fpu specifically.

Cheers
Yep AGA is compiled for 060 and the RTG version is compiled for an 040....both of these CPU cards usually come with an FPU so there was no point stating that and FPU was required in the readme.

Old 17 March 2019, 17:57   #83
hexaae
Bug hunter

Tried HEXEN.WAD but quits with error:

W_GetNumForName: STTNUM0 not found!

Looking on the Net it seems ZDOOM 1.22 didn't support Hexen yet
Plans for a recent Amiga port to support also the other games?
Old 17 March 2019, 22:40   #84
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
Tried HEXEN.WAD but quits with error:

W_GetNumForName: STTNUM0 not found!

Looking on the Net it seems ZDOOM 1.22 didn't support Hexen yet
Plans for a recent Amiga port to support also the other games?
Hi,

I might update my old ZDOOM port one day but I don't think the Amiga is powerful enough to support the newer 2.x versions I'm afraid.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 18 March 2019 at 06:02.
Old 06 August 2020, 04:36   #85
NovaCoder

I just uploaded improved AGA/RTG versions of ZDOOM to Aminet with a few little bug fixes and enhancements.

ZDOOM_AGA

ZDOOM_RTG

The sound is much better now that I've applied a few things I learnt when porting Wolfenstein 3D over to the Amiga.

I also complied a special 030 build (without FPU) so that I can play it along with AmiWolf_AGA and AmiSpear_AGA on my new FPGA Amiga [ Show youtube player ]

Power users (FPGA/UAE) will probably be better trying ODAMEX_RTG because it supports compressed music playback.

AGA 060 user also have the option of trying my port of BOOM

So plenty of ways exist to play DOOM on 68k

Last edited by NovaCoder; 06 August 2020 at 07:36.
Old 08 August 2020, 00:18   #86
Reido

Great stuff! Your ports are top notch and it's great to be putting my 1260 to the test!
Old 17 August 2020, 17:05   #87
Reido

Couldn't get this to run on my Apollo 1260. 64mb@80mhz. Downloaded a few times and extracted both on PC and amiga. It attempts to load and that's it, no crash or anything. WAD in place. Previous version working fine though!

Got me thinking about your Doom ports cos I'm gonna start playing through a new (for me) WAD. Boom or ZDoom would be ahead because I can get the music playing during the game. All run very smoothly and play great, but what's the main differences performance wise between the 3? Thanks!
Old 18 August 2020, 10:55   #88
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reido View Post
Couldn't get this to run on my Apollo 1260. 64mb@80mhz. Downloaded a few times and extracted both on PC and amiga. It attempts to load and that's it, no crash or anything. WAD in place. Previous version working fine though!

Got me thinking about your Doom ports cos I'm gonna start playing through a new (for me) WAD. Boom or ZDoom would be ahead because I can get the music playing during the game. All run very smoothly and play great, but what's the main differences performance wise between the 3? Thanks!
That's very strange, did it create an 'ERROR.TXT' file when it crashed out?

Just try ZDOOM without any custom WAD files and see if it runs okay for you, I've noticed that ZDOOM sometimes dies while loading a custom WAD it doesn't support.

If you are just after a basic 060 AGA DOOM port then try BOOM first, ZDOOM is (probably) going to be slower than BOOM but it does have some nice upgrades over BOOM like particle effects.

You could also give ODAMEX AGA a go but it will be a bit slower than BOOM/ZDOOM.

Main difference with ODAMEX is that it now supports compressed music playback which is cool to have but obviously very demanding on a real Amiga, it also uses the SDL Mixer for SFX which is also a bit slow on real hardware. I think ODAMEX has the best mod support though....

Last edited by NovaCoder; 19 August 2020 at 03:30.
Old 19 August 2020, 11:59   #89
Reido

Same result which is strange...There's no real indication that it has attempted to load, small bit of fast mem used then back to full. No error message or anything. Tried regular WADs, all work with previous version of ZDOOM. No biggie, probably something I'm doing wrong!

I played through a level on all ports, struggled to see any performance issues, all very smooth and very fast! ZDOOM was gonna be my choice to start out on new WADs, but i'd love to get music working on Odamex. If it ain't too much hassle, could you explain how I would go about getting compressed audio working? Sounds like I'd have to source the music from somewhere? Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry. just checket the error.txt

"could not malloc 67108864 bytes" if that's any use...
Old 20 August 2020, 01:33   #90
NovaCoder

Quote:
Same result which is strange...There's no real indication that it has attempted to load, small bit of fast mem used then back to full. No error message or anything. Tried regular WADs, all work with previous version of ZDOOM. No biggie, probably something I'm doing wrong!

EDIT: Sorry. just checket the error.txt

"could not malloc 67108864 bytes" if that's any use...
That's interesting, does ODAMEX work okay for you?

That's an old problem with how it allocates heap memory at startup, try updating the tooltypes for ZDOOM and set 'heapsize' to 16.

If ODAMEX works okay for you without having to set the 'heapsize' then I'll just update ZDOOM with the same memory allocation logic that ODAMEX uses.

Quote:
I played through a level on all ports, struggled to see any performance issues, all very smooth and very fast! ZDOOM was gonna be my choice to start out on new WADs, but i'd love to get music working on Odamex. If it ain't too much hassle, could you explain how I would go about getting compressed audio working? Sounds like I'd have to source the music from somewhere? Thanks!
Glad they are all working well for you on real classic hardware

To get the compressed music working with ODAMEX you first need to download the Roland MIDI output data compressed as OGG files from here:

http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#doom

http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#doom2

And put the files in the music folder in ODAMEX. Then start up ODAMEX and go into the sound options and select the 'SDL Mixer' as your music back-end.

Make sure you are running AHI 4.18 for ODAMEX ( [ Show youtube player ]

My old ports run fastest in 320x200 using the tooltype display modes set to 'NTSC' BTW

I've attached a new version of ZDOOM that uses ODAMEX's memory allocation routines.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 16 September 2020 at 14:23.
Old 20 August 2020, 13:14   #91
Reido

Legend, thanks so much! I'll have a test now and report back.
Old 20 August 2020, 23:13   #92
Reido

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Yep, ODAMEX always worked fine!
Old 21 August 2020, 23:05   #93
Reido

Quote:

That's an old problem with how it allocates heap memory at startup, try updating the tooltypes for ZDOOM and set 'heapsize' to 16.

If ODAMEX works okay for you without having to set the 'heapsize' then I'll just update ZDOOM with the same memory allocation logic that ODAMEX uses.

Glad they are all working well for you on real classic hardware

To get the compressed music working with ODAMEX you first need to download the Roland MIDI output data compressed as OGG files from here:

http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#doom

http://sc55.duke4.net/games.php#doom2

And put the files in the music folder in ODAMEX. Then start up ODAMEX and go into the sound options and select the 'SDL Mixer' as your music back-end.

Make sure you are running AHI 4.18 for ODAMEX ( [ Show youtube player ]

My old ports run fastest in 320x200 using the tooltype display modes set to 'NTSC' BTW

I've attached a new version of ZDOOM that uses ODAMEX's memory allocation routines.
So..... I tried the new version, it does make an attemt to load, as in the screen goes black like in previous versions, but then I get a software failure screen! Must be just me having this problem! Thanks anyway, I'm happy to play the previous version, really is top quality!

As for ODAMEX, I can't select any other music backend in the options, it seems to be set to 'no music' and can't be changed. I'm using the only version on Aminet, the one from 2015....
Old 22 August 2020, 01:11   #94
NovaCoder

Oh yes sorry, I forgot that only the RTG version of ODAMEX supports compressed music playback.

With ZDOOM you did try setting the heapsize tooltype to 16 didn't you? How much memory do you have BTW?
Old 23 August 2020, 00:25   #95
Reido

Yep heapsize is at 16, I've 64mb on the 1260@80mhz. Previous zdoom version works without issues...
Old 04 September 2020, 16:30   #96
alenppc

I've been asked to try to run ZDOOM on the upcoming TF1260 to see how it runs.

But before I delve into this, I need to write the following premise. Because of the lack of full 060 CPUs, many TF1260s will have to ship with LC060. This is not nearly as bad as people fear because I was able to run virtually everything on it (except Quake) and in fact I am in the process of setting up a demo CF card with correct versions of files that run on LC060. Plus this will allow the cards to be literally the cheapest 060 accelerator for the Amiga.

The main thing is the need to use 030 versions of everything, since it seems that every Amiga compiler assumes that the FPU will be present when compiling 060 code, so all 060 specific executables crash, but luckily the 020/030 versions run just fine. For example, NovaCoders ScummVM 030 runs great, and seemingly at full speed for many games on the LC060.

Another advantage of the TF1260 is that I can change the CPU speed on the fly via a shell command, so I can easily clock these LC060s at 75 or 80 Mhz (I am not even using any cooling) which is enough to overcome the lack of 060 optimizations in the code.

Now, onto ZDOOM. I am currently unable to run it at all on both the real hardware and WinUAE. As soon as I start ZDOOM.030, the machine locks up. This seems to be an issue with incorrect WAD files. I am using wads from my DoomAttack and it seems ZDOOM doesn't like it.

I checked the readme which points to a website that allows you to patch existing wads but it doesn't look like mine are compatible. Does anyone know where I can download known good working files? I don't care if they are the demo version.

Also do I need anything else besides the doomsound.library and MIDI_Instruments?

Thanks
Old 05 September 2020, 03:12   #97
NovaCoder

Hi this is very interesting, Reido reported issues with the latest version of ZDOOM locking up on a real (full fat) 060.

Send me a PM with your email address and we'll try and figure it out. Maybe it is down to the WAD version?

I can run ZDOOM 060 and 030 on winuae and even run the 030 version on my new MiSTer, very strange.

Yes you just need the doomsound.library in LIBS and MIDI_Instruments in the game directory. It's been so long now that I can't remember if you really need the MIDI_Instruments file but assume you do.

BTW ZDOOM 030 runs surprisingly well on my MiSTer (I'll do a video soon) and is not much slower than running AmiWolf 030, I think on a real Blizzard 030 @ 50Mhz ZDOOM would be very playable!

Last edited by NovaCoder; 05 September 2020 at 03:55.
Old 05 September 2020, 03:29   #98
HardStep

Was able to run on Winuae with 030+fpu. Without fpu enabled I get #8000 000B as well.
Old 05 September 2020, 03:42   #99
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardStep View Post
Was able to run on Winuae with 030+fpu. Without fpu enabled I get #8000 000B as well.

060 or 030 version?

The 030 version definitely runs without an FPU because I can run it on my MiSTer

Last edited by NovaCoder; 05 September 2020 at 03:54.
Old 05 September 2020, 04:40   #100
HardStep

Quote:
060 or 030 version?

The 030 version definitely runs without an FPU because I can run it on my MiSTer
Strange, as I tried the 030 version.

Last edited by HardStep; 05 September 2020 at 05:01.