English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 February 2024, 14:56   #1
amigakit.com

A600GS Updates

Save your position in games and resume them instantly by simply selecting the saved game icon and clicking Start. Don't worry: the amount of saved games is not limited. This useful feature has been added to the A600GS this week. Check out: https://wiki.amiga.org/a600gs

Old 10 February 2024, 15:04   #2
lesta_smsc

No way to connect to CRT for playing games at their native resolution?
Old 10 February 2024, 15:28   #3
Bren McGuire

it's just another cheap ARM board emulator like amiga 500 mini what do you expect?
all the "development" is in the interface and the case

oh just looked at the wiki and scratch that no development on the case either

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
No way to connect to CRT for playing games at their native resolution?
Old 10 February 2024, 15:29   #4
lesta_smsc

Expect something that looks like an Amiga but allows you to experience it in its true visual form.
Old 10 February 2024, 15:49   #5
Bren McGuire

mate you're in for a world of disappointment this barely looks like a hobby project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Expect something that looks like an Amiga but allows you to experience it in its true visual form.
Old 13 February 2024, 12:01   #6
Deaths_Head

Full usable Amiga like machine with access to the os with serious apps, at a reasonable price can only be a good thing. Its also going to have a store for games & apps, which could be good for the indie game creators to get their work noticed if this thing takes off.

The prices of Amiga's are ridiculous these days, especially the 'NG' machines. This is perfect for somebody that wants to dabble with apps as well as playing games.

Yes It would have been nice if it was in an A3000 or CDTV style black case, but I would rather have the software & capabilities this is offering than that.
Old 13 February 2024, 12:12   #7
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths_Head View Post
Its also going to have a store for games & apps, which could be good for the indie game creators to get their work noticed if this thing takes off.
Sure, because Amiga users are famous for paying for software.

As said by others, that's just another cheap emulation box in a fancy case. There are enough of those already. But I guess we are still not wasting the resources of this planet fast enough so we can make such unnecessary e-waste.
Old 13 February 2024, 12:35   #8
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths_Head
Full usable Amiga like machine with access to the os with serious apps, at a reasonable price can only be a good thing. Its also going to have a store for games & apps, which could be good for the indie game creators to get their work noticed if this thing takes off.
How so? If you can post on this forum, you already have a computer powerful enough to run a fully usable emulator with access to the OS with serious apps at a price that no box can beat. It won't help software authors either since money spent on this emulator box is money not spent on software. And we certainly don't need more stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
As said by others, that's just another cheap emulation box in a fancy case.
Fancy case? It looks like some cheap case you buy from the electronics shop to house your home-made Elektor kit in. I have seen PSUs in fancier cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler
There are enough of those already. But I guess we are still not wasting the resources of this planet fast enough so we can make such unnecessary e-waste.
Very much agreed, but Amigakit knows that the people who already own ten Amigas can't resist buying a new emulator box so they won't have to deal with the fact that they don't use a single one of their Amigas on a regular basis.

It's basically free money for them.

But seriously: You need this as much as my cat needs a retirement fund.
Old 13 February 2024, 14:51   #9
Deaths_Head

Obviously it's not to the taste of everybody on this site & SHOCK, HORROR not everybody thinks the same way, or has an Amiga or wants to fuk about setting up emulators, hunting for roms or pirating software.

The500mini seems to have carved it own niche & the fact that people are hacking the thing to run the os would seem to suggest people want a box with the os & software available as well as the games.

For people who no longer own an Amiga & want to get back into it, straight out of the box, with a slightly more modern OS & perhaps dip into workbench & have a play with some apps, without the headache of finding an overpriced Amiga, then having to upgrade it & find software, it seems like a pretty good platform.
Old 13 February 2024, 16:34   #10
utri007
mä vaan

I don't understand why there's a negative attitude towards this project. Of course, having options is a good thing. Strange and childish tantrum? This leads to the operating system side, which is an interesting feature.
Old 13 February 2024, 16:52   #11
Deaths_Head

@utri007 I don't understand either.

The operating side interests me the most, because it seems to be related to the work they've been doing on AmigaOS4. so it could be a nice way to try out that work without breaking the bank & buying an extortionately priced AmigaOne machine.

Hopefully this is the first step to leaving the overpriced & under powered power pc platform for future development of the platform. That's if the people involved could bury the hatchet & just get on.
Old 13 February 2024, 16:58   #12
Amiga Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
I don't understand why there's a negative attitude towards this project. Of course, having options is a good thing. Strange and childish tantrum? This leads to the operating system side, which is an interesting feature.
The internet rotted everyones brains to think that being negative makes you the coolest kid in 8th grade
Old 13 February 2024, 17:01   #13
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Sure, because Amiga users are famous for paying for software.

As said by others, that's just another cheap emulation box in a fancy case. There are enough of those already. But I guess we are still not wasting the resources of this planet fast enough so we can make such unnecessary e-waste.
i nope'd out when i saw them state that "updates" would require a registered account, and yeah its just another emu'box in a fancy case, far cheaper just getting a Pi400 or something similar and using FS-UAE on it.
Old 13 February 2024, 17:04   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
I don't understand why there's a negative attitude towards this project.
It seems to me like people are demanding something of better quality and how is that a bad thing? And the main thing here is that ok, amigas are hard to come by or expensive, but absolutely NO ONE is stopping anyone from emulating one using WinUAE or a Raspberry Pi.

So what's the point for more of these existing when we can already do it all with what we have?
Also seems like a few people in this thread have no actual idea what this is, what's this talk about "leaving the PowerPC platform behind"? This is not an Amiga computer, this is an emulation box and it offers nothing a PowerPC Amiga, again, like it or not, offers.

It's crazy how coddled people here need to be that they don't allow anyone to dissent or discuss matters in an objective way.
Old 13 February 2024, 18:02   #15
Bren McGuire

and i think amiga people rot your brain into thinking anyone that doesn't automatically rave and laud about anything that says "amiga" on it must be some kind of heretic and should be torched at a public space sorry mate but some of us still have fully functioning grey matter and are able to recognize a dud when we see one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga Lifestyle View Post
The internet rotted everyones brains to think that being negative makes you the coolest kid in 8th grade
Old 13 February 2024, 18:16   #16
Deaths_Head

@Amiga1992

Yes & the fact that anybody can get a pi or use Winuae is great & nobody wants that to go away, but not everybody wants to do that, some people just want a working out of the box system.

Nobody is stopping any conversation. we're discussing it here. You stated yourself we don't even know what this box is yet, so why dismiss it so soon.

Correct, this is not an Amiga computer, but it is Amiga software compatible even if it is through emulation. running a new os underneath.

As for leaving PowerPC platform behind? well, Amigaos4 runs on that platform, which is prohibitively priced. From what I've gathered this is running V54? which has key parts from Amigaos4.

Its just speculation but if this A600gs is successful it could potentially spur on future versions of Amigaos onto arm based systems, it would be interesting to see what that could be.
Old 13 February 2024, 18:22   #17
Bren McGuire

where in the hell have you "gathered" this from?? because it is not said nor inferred in any way by the official information which by the way is available as linked on the first post so we exactly know what this "device" is:

https://wiki.amiga.org/index.php?title=A600GS

this machine does not run amigaos v4!! get your facts straight click on a link and read up there is no operating system development going on here "Amibench" is nothing but a fancied up old classic Workbench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaths_Head View Post
From what I've gathered this is running V54? which has key parts from Amigaos4.
Old 13 February 2024, 18:58   #18
Deaths_Head

@Bren McGuire

Hahaha calm down "bren" perhaps you should cut down on the coffee..

In the interview on retro hour they mentioned it uses some propriety system & I'm sure I read somewhere that it incorporates parts of the enhancer packs Eon used to update AmigaOS4 when development stalled because of all the legal bullshit.

https://wiki.amiga.org/index.php/AmiBench

Last edited by Deaths_Head; 13 February 2024 at 19:11.
Old 13 February 2024, 21:09   #19
Amiga Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
and i think amiga people rot your brain into thinking anyone that doesn't automatically rave and laud about anything that says "amiga" on it must be some kind of heretic and should be torched at a public space sorry mate but some of us still have fully functioning grey matter and are able to recognize a dud when we see one
When I grow up I hope I will be as cool as you.
Old 13 February 2024, 21:21   #20
amigakit.com

@Deaths_Head

Thats correct, the A600GS computer system is supplied with AmiBench pre-installed and ready to go.

AmiBench incorportates many components we developed over the last several years for A-EON's Enhancer Software for OS4. The code base is the same and has been cross ported over for running on the A600GS.

We wanted the best Classic experience for A600GS users with AmiBench being the central place to run the new OctaMED, PPaint, use DOpus or install their own games collection. All running in 32-bit 1080p. The A600GS is an internet ready device so further updates to AmiBench will be available as free downloads using Updater tool (also ported over from the Enhancer Software).