English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 September 2011, 00:07   #21
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
His perspective and experience makes those replies interesting to me...(crazy, huh?) and I find many perspectives interesting..

And some impressive..

desiv
Yeah, it's a shame there are no real INNOVATORS out there anymore. I know Dave would probably be reluctant to admite that he was right up there at the cutting edge for a while, but he was.

Back in the Amiga days he realised that every problem is a work-around. And work Around it he did - or had to - in order to get it to work.

Today it's just Mac or Pc - vanilla or chocolate - that's it - no Strawberry. In the past, people filled that gap - machines filled the gap - so where is it all now??

That's what I wanted to ask him him really; where is it all going.

Answers on a postcard.
Old 08 September 2011, 03:58   #22
NovaCoder

Windows/OSX/Ubuntu and of course OS4/MorphOS are all dead in the water because the age of the OS itself (as we know it) is coming to an end.

Fast forward 5 years and we'll all be using a browser based 'computer' with all of our personal data stored online.
Old 08 September 2011, 16:48   #23
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Windows/OSX/Ubuntu and of course OS4/MorphOS are all dead in the water because the age of the OS itself (as we know it) is coming to an end.

Fast forward 5 years and we'll all be using a browser based 'computer' with all of our personal data stored online.
Yep, I can foresee future 'OS's' coming on a chip if Personal Computers are still going in some form or other in the future. Like you say, online storage will be the way forward, cloud computing seems to be taking a hold now although it's still a server on a blimmin network with a fancy name
Old 08 September 2011, 19:03   #24
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
cloud computing will only arrive when my upload speed matches my download speed, then it may be some time later if I adopt
Old 08 September 2011, 21:49   #25
prowler
Global Moderator

Hey, how did I miss this?

Many thanks, lifeschool, for conducting the interview with Dave Haynie and taking time to type in, format and post the transcript here for all us at EAB to read and discuss.
Old 11 September 2011, 14:28   #26
chocolate_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post

Just to save any further confusion over this, in the UK at least, the 15 minute limit is still in place. I tried to upload a file just yesterday which was 15.48:00 and it got rejected. The vid was 800mb in size. I cut it down to 14.59:12 and it went through fine.
I can confirm this is not the case, I'm also in the UK and have several 30 min videos on my account.
Old 16 September 2011, 19:36   #27
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolate_boy View Post
I can confirm this is not the case, I'm also in the UK and have several 30 min videos on my account.
This is kinda sucky considering I'm a freelance cameraman and video editor. I have access to five youtube channels; some commercial and some private; and they all say 'Congratulations, you can now upload videos longer than 15mins', but non of them let me do this. My accounts are all set to 'Director'.

Anyway, thanks Prowler very much - I won't bump this thread up much longer - so it will likely get lost in the heap soon. Shame that, as this topic may still be relavent in years to come.

As for Cloud computing; that was a buzz-word last year so I was keen to ask Dave what he thought about it. As you read, he says it might be slow to catch on, and depends on many factors. I think not least because half of the world is still using slow (sub 2mbps) connections, and the other half don't want to put their stuff online cus most of it is torrents, mp3s and warez. Or maybe thats just me - but imagine trying to edit video online - what a nightmare!