English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 July 2019, 00:12   #1
tygre
Returning fan!

Help Recover Device when "No Device in CF0:"

Hi all!

I have a puzzling problem that may be hardware-related: two days ago, I had to reboot my Web-serving Amiga . After rebooting, the bootable partition, CF0:, was said to have "No Device in CF0:" and nothing would, of course, happen.

I popped my CF card into my PC with WinUAE and used DiskSalv4. DiskSalv4 could "only" recover 2 directories, called "ROOT" and "ROOT nnn" with nnn some (random?) number.

What's happening? Is my CF0: partition totally lost? Is it a hardware (CF card) problem? I confess that I don't recall if it was FFS or PFS... I believe FFS (hence DiskSalv) but...

(1) Is there a way to know if the partition was FFS or PFS?
(2) Once sure that it is one or the other, what should I do to recover my data?

@TUMO Sorry if you alread send me advice by e-mail, I cannot read my e-mails right now...

Thanks in advance!
Old 11 July 2019, 09:15   #2
thomas

First rule to follow is: do not write to the CF card before everything you need is saved. Any try to repair something might make things worse. I hope you ran DiskSalv in Salvage mode.

As you are already using WinUAE you should use the "Create hard disk image file" option in the "add harddrive" window. Once you have an image of the card, make a copy of it and only act on the first image. This way you cannot damage the CF card any more and you have a backup in case a repair try fails.

"No disk in drive" might indicate that the partition was FFS and the first sector of it has been overwritten so that the first four bytes became 0xffffffff. That alone would make hope because FFS begins writing data to the middle of the partition, so overwriting the beginning is not too serious.

The fact that DiskSalv did not find anything however kills much of that hope again.

How big is the card and how is the partition layout? When you say the bootable partition has the problem, are there other partitions which still work?

To answer these questions and more you might want to run this program and attach the report here: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.../hddreport.lha

Once you have an image of the card you could use a hex editor to examine it. Check where this 0xffffffff overwriting begins and how far it reaches.
Old 11 July 2019, 21:52   #3
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Thomas and thank you so much for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
First rule to follow is: do not write to the CF card before everything you need is saved. Any try to repair something might make things worse. I hope you ran DiskSalv in Salvage mode.

As you are already using WinUAE you should use the "Create hard disk image file" option in the "add harddrive" window. Once you have an image of the card, make a copy of it and only act on the first image. This way you cannot damage the CF card any more and you have a backup in case a repair try fails.
Done!

Quote:
"No disk in drive" might indicate that the partition was FFS and the first sector of it has been overwritten so that the first four bytes became 0xffffffff. That alone would make hope because FFS begins writing data to the middle of the partition, so overwriting the beginning is not too serious.

The fact that DiskSalv did not find anything however kills much of that hope again.

How big is the card and how is the partition layout? When you say the bootable partition has the problem, are there other partitions which still work?

To answer these questions and more you might want to run this program and attach the report here: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.../hddreport.lha

Once you have an image of the card you could use a hex editor to examine it. Check where this 0xffffffff overwriting begins and how far it reaches.
Here is the HDDReport. It seems that the first partition (the broken one), CF0:, is a PFS?

Should I try to tools provided with PFS?

Best!
Attached Files
File Type: txt hddreport.txt (25.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 11 July 2019, 22:28   #4
tygre
Returning fan!

PS. PFSDoctor says that "Rootblock not found" and I should press OK to build a new one... but this would destroy the partition if it is not a PFS partition... I think that I can go ahead, do you agree?
Old 11 July 2019, 23:14   #5
thomas

Yes, the partition has a PFS DosType, so the PFS tools are the right ones to use.

As I said you should create an image file of the CF card and use this for your experiments. Then you don't need to fear that anything gets destroyed, you can just continue with another copy of the image file.

I am a bit concerned about the words "Chingu BROKEN" in the SCSI identity string. Do you recongnise this as the name of your card reader or something? If not, I could imagine that the card realises its near death and changed its ID to "broken". In any case you should consider moving to a new CF card.
Old 12 July 2019, 00:13   #6
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi again!

Quote:
Yes, the partition has a PFS DosType, so the PFS tools are the right ones to use.

As I said you should create an image file of the CF card and use this for your experiments. Then you don't need to fear that anything gets destroyed, you can just continue with another copy of the image file.
I just tried PFSDoctor but it complains that "Anode index invalid" in a requester, then another requester with "Disk update failed". After than, it stops checking/repairing. In the output window, it says:

ERROR: Anodeindex block not found
No replacement block found
FIXED: new indexblock created
ABORTED

Quote:
I am a bit concerned about the words "Chingu BROKEN" in the SCSI identity string. Do you recongnise this as the name of your card reader or something? If not, I could imagine that the card realises its near death and changed its ID to "broken". In any case you should consider moving to a new CF card.
Oh, that's the name that I gave to it

What do you think that I should try now?

Best!
Old 12 July 2019, 00:17   #7
tygre
Returning fan!

PS. The full log from PFSDoctor
Attached Files
File Type: txt pfsdoctor.txt (532 Bytes, 10 views)
Old 12 July 2019, 09:03   #8
thomas

You could try pfssalv, but I am not sure if it's any better than pfsdoctor.
http://aminet.net/package/disk/salv/pfssalv2

If you could make a HDF of the partition (the original, not the one you changed with pfsdoctor) and make it available to me, I could try to examine it and see how much damage there is.
Old 13 July 2019, 04:31   #9
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi Thomas!

Thanks for your advice as always!

I tried PFSSalv but it recognizes 0 files and 0 directories... I can send you my hard-file (it's 4GB), could you PM me your preferred method?

At the same time, don't worry to much about it, I can surely reinstall everything and I must have a backup somewhere

Cheers!
Old 13 July 2019, 09:01   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
Hi Thomas!
I can send you my hard-file (it's 4GB), could you PM me your preferred method?
Hello tygre I would like to try also me to recover your data, if you can send me also the link of your hard-file
Old 17 July 2019, 00:27   #11
tygre
Returning fan!

Hi AmigaSystem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Hello tygre I would like to try also me to recover your data, if you can send me also the link of your hard-file
Thanks a lot! How can I transfer you my image? It is currently 1.9Gb compressed...

Cheers!