Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Yo peeps, I posted a Video of my Indi AGA MkII in action

[ Show youtube player ]

come on steve whos the uncharted fan
Old 04 June 2012, 02:46   #1323
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_becas View Post
I completely agree with you, there's no need for hostility.

Gibs
If you try to push from a PC GPU like Indi pushes with the amiga, in many cases, you'll see the same results depending on the quality of the PC components, so we can't expect that the amiga hardware behaves like we want it to behave, sometimes it's just not possible.
I've tested it on two NTSC equal boards with completely diferent results and yesterday i tested it with a 1D4 PAL Board and the results were like yours so i'm just happy to have one board working well.
Later i'll try to test it with the 2B rev. from my brother.
This kind of thing is only going to happen more and more as our hardware gets older and less consistent. Although I love bolting new hardware to my old MB, there will come a time when it will be more productive for Jens to just bring out a drop-in FPGA based MB replacement with all of the enhancements build it.......
Old 04 June 2012, 05:21   #1324
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
@Fitzsteve: very impressive. Terribly responsive too... How many colours and what driver are you using (monitor). Thanks.
Old 04 June 2012, 08:12   #1325
Granada

It's always impressive to see how much faster the 060 is when you're used to using an 030. *must get a B1260* *must get a B1260* *must ... resist ..."

Old 04 June 2012, 09:35   #1326
magnetic
Banned

Ok got my a1200 online and downloaded the SuperPlus and HighGfx drivers. Couldnt find the Xtreme for some reason the links were dead?

Anyway, SuperPlus laced is awesome on my 22" del lcd via DVI almost perfect on screen. Ran in 256 colors for a little while seemed cool, then dropped down to 64 and did some things for over an hour with no artifacts or glitches...

I have to say I never though I'd see AGA chipset in a widescreen mode like this. amazing.

I launched Imagefx 4 and opened it on the super plus screen. I loaded the sample iff from high gfx but when i try to select the new screenmodes in Image fx Render prefs it wont open the screen If i launch the sample image from WB the monitor goes out of range..

edit: btw I'm wondering if there is a Splash screen for the MK2 when i boot my machine the monitor is out of sync (its an NTSC machine) and it goes straight to SuperPluslaced workbench now. Even If select PAl from the early boot (which the monitor displays) I dont see any splash when loading to a PAL screen either.

I'm dying for NTSC support because all my games and programs are ntsc mostly.

Last edited by magnetic; 04 June 2012 at 10:05. Reason: figuring out embedding images
Old 04 June 2012, 10:42   #1327
Riempie
Amiga freak

Well, I got my A1200 stable by placing a cooler (ordered from Amigakit) on top of the Indy. But, it's only stable when the lid of the A1200 is off. With the lid on I still get gfx glitches and crashes.

So, somehow the heat can not get out enough with the lid on....

I haven't placed the metal shield inside yet, wich I will try (as the manual advises to do so), but I wonder if this is related to my heating problems.

Maybe adding the resistor on the Indy could solve my problems, but as I don't have any soldering skills or any knowledge about this I'll try to work something out (placing an extra cooler or something). If any of this doesn't help then I have to use my A1200 always with the lid off, which isn't a big problem because then I can always see the beauty in my A1200

I have motherboard rev 2D (which already had the timing fixes) and an ACA 56mhz turbocard. I'm pretty sure it's just a coincidence that this is happening with my setup as other combinations of hardware and revisions will give other (better) results...

I welcome any suggestions though on how to get the heat out of my A1200 (except from soldering)....

Last edited by Riempie; 04 June 2012 at 10:59.
Old 04 June 2012, 10:49   #1328
magnetic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riempie View Post
]

I haven't placed the metal shield inside yet, wich I will try (as the manual advises to do so), but I wonder if this is related to my heating problems.

I welcome any suggestions though if anybody has tips on how to get the heat out of my A1200 (except from soldering)....
I have the RF shield back in, modified as per the instructions that came with the MK2. I also have it grounded out to the rf shield.

I ran it the other night late for like 3 hrs straight, and yes it does make the a1200 hot, but it was working for me. I was mostly testing demos, so working the chipset pretty hard I would think!

Last edited by magnetic; 04 June 2012 at 10:53. Reason: added pic
Old 04 June 2012, 11:06   #1329
gibs
Banned

Something is not clear for me.

For the accelerator ACA630, the RF Shield was said as useless.
For the FlickerFixer Indi AGA MKII it is.

For the ACA630, putting a fan on top of the heatsink was loosing the warranty.
For the Indi AGA MKII it seems not.
Old 04 June 2012, 11:20   #1330
paulo_becas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs View Post
Something is not clear for me.

For the accelerator ACA630, the RF Shield was said as useless.
For the FlickerFixer Indi AGA MKII it is.
It's useless on both, on the indi manual it says that you should have the ground wire plugged to the shield because it has to say, but it's not necessary, i don't have it and it works great.

Quote:
For the ACA630, putting a fan on top of the heatsink was loosing the warranty.
For the Indi AGA MKII it seems not.
I don't think it looses the warranty in any of the cases, that's just stupid.
How is it possible to loose warranty if the fan or the heatsink is used to prevent any problem and to extend the life of the components?
Old 04 June 2012, 14:05   #1331
gibs
Banned

In the documentation it's written : "We recommend to put the upper RF shield back on." ... "Operating the computer without the upper RF shield is
possible, but might result in EM noise and probably even in random computer crashes."

For Warranty:
http://eabmobile.abime.net/showthrea...rranty&page=39
Old 04 June 2012, 14:52   #1332
paulo_becas

Quote:
In the documentation it's written : "We recommend to put the upper RF shield back on." ... "Operating the computer without the upper RF shield is
possible, but might result in EM noise and probably even in random computer crashes."
Like i said it says that because it has to, Jens already answered this one it's because the UE law or something but it runs just fine withou it.

Quote:
Probably they say that because if you're not carefull choosing your fan it can fry your amiga, you should choose the 5v ones never a 12v fan, trust me on this i already fried a board with this, luckly i manage to repair it.
Old 04 June 2012, 15:09   #1333
Riempie
Amiga freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_becas View Post
Probably they say that because if you're not carefull choosing your fan it can fry your amiga, you should choose the 5v ones never a 12v fan, trust me on this i already fried a board with this, luckly i manage to repair it.
Are you sure about using 5v fans? Because Amigakit advised me to use the one on their website which seems to be 12v:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=666

My board hasn't fried (yet)...
Old 04 June 2012, 16:04   #1334
Mr B

Modifying your hardware always renders warranty worthless. For simple reasons. If you did something to the hardware, it's no longer possible to say that the fault is a birth defect, or if you introduced it. After you did anything, your relying on goodwill gestures from the manufacturer rather then warranty.
Hence, adding a fan that blows over the Indivision by means of sticking it to the RF shielding is OK, where as bolting it on a ACA630 cooler, is a different thing entirely. Jens also explains exactly how the cooler is supposed to work, and at what temperatures it's expected to keep the hardware, explaining that there is no need, what so ever, for a fan on the ACA630.

Heck, in exact opposite to what is stated in that thread, many GFX brands for the PC market will void your warranty if you as much as take the shroud of a factory cooling unit, and clean it, to then reassemble it again. Allowing you to replace your cooling with a better one, or just taking it of to replace the heat transfer paste, is a complete no go for 95% of all brands, with the exception of the enthusiast lineups, where they charge you enough to afford user introduced faults as a part of warranty claims.

Not sure what your gripes about warranty is, really.
B!
Old 04 June 2012, 16:19   #1335
paulo_becas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riempie View Post
Are you sure about using 5v fans? Because Amigakit advised me to use the one on their website which seems to be 12v:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=666

My board hasn't fried (yet)...

You're right, my mistake, i fried my board when i use two fans one was 5v and the other 12v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Modifying your hardware always renders warranty worthless. For simple reasons. If you did something to the hardware, it's no longer possible to say that the fault is a birth defect, or if you introduced it. After you did anything, your relying on goodwill gestures from the manufacturer rather then warranty.
Hence, adding a fan that blows over the Indivision by means of sticking it to the RF shielding is OK, where as bolting it on a ACA630 cooler, is a different thing entirely. Jens also explains exactly how the cooler is supposed to work, and at what temperatures it's expected to keep the hardware, explaining that there is no need, what so ever, for a fan on the ACA630.

Heck, in exact opposite to what is stated in that thread, many GFX brands for the PC market will void your warranty if you as much as take the shroud of a factory cooling unit, and clean it, to then reassemble it again. Allowing you to replace your cooling with a better one, or just taking it of to replace the heat transfer paste, is a complete no go for 95% of all brands, with the exception of the enthusiast lineups, where they charge you enough to afford user introduced faults as a part of warranty claims.

Not sure what your gripes about warranty is, really.
B!
I don't see how it's possible to damage a component only by puting a fan on top of it.

I agree when you say that if you take the heatsink of a graphic board just to clean it, you loose the warranty but that's because the heatsink or the fan or whatever is a part of the component you bought.
Old 04 June 2012, 16:56   #1336
diablothe2nd

Remember also, that it's not the voltage but the current that is the problem.

too much current (amps) through the tiny traces leading to the floppy power port will burn them out. fans draw a fair amount of current, especially on spin up. Amikit probably recommended a particular fan because it's a low current model.
Old 04 June 2012, 17:40   #1337
paulo_becas

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
Remember also, that it's not the voltage but the current that is the problem.

too much current (amps) through the tiny traces leading to the floppy power port will burn them out. fans draw a fair amount of current, especially on spin up. Amikit probably recommended a particular fan because it's a low current model.
Old 04 June 2012, 17:48   #1338
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by seb132 View Post
@Fitzsteve: very impressive. Terribly responsive too... How many colours and what driver are you using (monitor). Thanks.
Thanks

I'm using 64 Colours and SuperPlus 800x600 driver

I'm going to make some tests with 1280x720 (HighGFX 720HD driver) with 64/128 and 256 Colours and might make another Video as I just bought a new Camera that takes 1080i Video's
Old 04 June 2012, 17:50   #1339
diablothe2nd

i just this second tried superplus and still get "out of range"
Old 04 June 2012, 22:24   #1340
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
I made a new Video using the HD720 driver, this time in 16 colours

[ Show youtube player ]

I noticed some glitches towards the end so will try some cooling

Steve.