English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 March 2011, 01:11   #21
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
Nice..

What is this coded in?
His other games are written in Blitz Basic so I would imagine this is too?
Old 08 March 2011, 05:01   #22
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCruicky View Post
ADDED NTSC support for Mr.A500’s big screen NTSC TV. Status: FINISHED. Just need to put option in menu to choose it.
Hey thanks! Wow, that was fast. I thought it would take a lot of work to resize/reposition the screens.

Quote:
When the game is finished I’ll put the download link on this charity page that I have set-up at http://www.justgiving.com/AlienFishFinger. It’s for Cancer Research. Tell me if you feel that is a good idea.
About this cancer research donation: I filled out everything to donate, but then I stopped to consider. Where does this money go? Are all these donations going towards non-profit cancer treatments or are they going to finance drugs that will be patented and sold for profit? If for profit (most likely, since there's no non-profit pharmaceutical company I know of) then why do the pharmaceutical companies need private donations to fund their research when they make billions of dollars in profit every year?

I'm all for curing cancer, but I think there's something strange in donating to help one of the most profitable businesses in existence make even more profits.
Old 08 March 2011, 08:57   #23
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Thats true, I would rather send my money directly to David, to motivate him for AFF2
Old 08 March 2011, 09:06   #24
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Let's not discuss the charity organisation David has chosen here. If you don't want to support it, I think that's fine with David.
Old 08 March 2011, 09:56   #25
seuden
uber cool demi god

It's David's charity of choice, if it's a worthwhile course or not is surely his decision. If you liked his game and was gonna give him the money he would probably donate the money himself, it just makes the process a little quicker this way.

Btw, I think it's a very worthwhile course. Google it.

Awesome updates David, very well crafted, thanks.
Old 08 March 2011, 12:20   #26
BippyM
Global Moderator

Cancer Research is the largest Cancer Research Charity in the UK. They are looking into research for the cures for Cancer and not actually financing the pharmaceutical companies. The money goes directly to them afaik.

Research itself costs a considerable amount of money and if one day yourself or your family are struck down with this terrible illness I am sure you'd thank these people if they manage to find a cure!

Let's keep this on-topic and surely if it is worth paying for this game then does it matter where the money goes as long as it isn't for criminal intent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
Hey thanks! Wow, that was fast. I thought it would take a lot of work to resize/reposition the screens.

About this cancer research donation: I filled out everything to donate, but then I stopped to consider. Where does this money go? Are all these donations going towards non-profit cancer treatments or are they going to finance drugs that will be patented and sold for profit? If for profit (most likely, since there's no non-profit pharmaceutical company I know of) then why do the pharmaceutical companies need private donations to fund their research when they make billions of dollars in profit every year?

I'm all for curing cancer, but I think there's something strange in donating to help one of the most profitable businesses in existence make even more profits.
Old 08 March 2011, 13:12   #27
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Why it is now possible to start from level 4?
Old 08 March 2011, 13:55   #28
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Hey DJC!!

This looks fantastic. A real achievement.

I don't remember this the first time around, but I'll definitely contribute and download it.

Keep up the good work.
L
Old 08 March 2011, 14:04   #29
r0ber7
it's all in your head

Haha, never thought I'd see a post by the guy who made that game. I used to play it, especially liked the physics and the resulting bouncing body parts. :P Well done.
Old 08 March 2011, 17:07   #30
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Let's not discuss the charity organisation David has chosen here. If you don't want to support it, I think that's fine with David.
Quote:
Let's keep this on-topic and surely if it is worth paying for this game then does it matter where the money goes as long as it isn't for criminal intent!
It's strange that two moderators would jump on me for keeping on topic when David himself said:

Quote:
It’s for Cancer Research. Tell me if you feel that is a good idea.
I was telling him if I felt it was a good idea. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said anything.

Quote:
Cancer Research is the largest Cancer Research Charity in the UK. They are looking into research for the cures for Cancer and not actually financing the pharmaceutical companies. The money goes directly to them afaik.
On the Cancer Reasearch UK "Our story" page, they proudly state their achievements:

Our vital work is behind many important drugs, such as:
  • tamoxifen and herceptin – which have saved the lives of thousands of women with breast cancer
  • temozolomide – used worldwide to treat people with the most common type of brain tumour
  • carboplatin – one of the most successful cancer drugs ever developed.
A quick look at the Wikipedia entry for tamoxifen shows:

Global sales of tamoxifen in 2001 were $1,024 million.[57] Since the expiration of the patent in 2002, it is now widely available as a generic drug around the world. Barr Labs Inc had challenged the patent (which in 1992 was ruled unenforcable) but later came to an agreement with Zeneca to licence the patent and sell tamoxifen at close to Zeneca's price.[58] As of 2004, tamoxifen was the world's largest selling hormonal drug for the treatment of breast cancer.

This is just one drug - over a billion dollars in sales in one year. Now, where do the profits from the sales of these drugs go? Do they all go back to all the Cancer Research charities? If so, they wouldn't really need private donations now would they?

I'm only replying to your comment, not going on a tirade. I'll not talk about it anymore. I respect David's good thoughts of giving for charity.

Now, let's get back to talking about Alien Fish Fingers.
Old 08 March 2011, 17:24   #31
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
It's strange that two moderators would jump on me for keeping on topic when David himself said:
Because your post was reported. Right, not going to delete your post, but any further post on that matter will be deleted and any opinions about it should be shared via PM with David. Thanks.
Old 08 March 2011, 21:05   #32
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Thanks for your comments, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
COOOL!

Please, could you revisit the thunder sound in that level where the UFO appears and where are the adverts for Wired Chaos and Hydro Zone? Back in 90s I replaced that sound with more suitable one in my version, I think the original one is not good enough for this awesome game.
It's shame you lost it, I would not had minded hearing it. I still have the same one at the mo. Problem with these sound FX they use so much chip mem, so need to keep them short. I've heard some good ones on the free sound FX web-pages, but they are all huge.

Quote:
Why it is now possible to start from level 4?
The start of Level 4 is the half way point of the game. If you want to take the fancy to play from a different point of the game you can now. Back in the day I had feed back of people wanting this feature, so they don't have to start again if they get the Game Over message. Well 16 years on, here it is .

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
How much would be involved to make a Dos version? So I can play it on my iPhone via DOSPad.
About £250,000 payable to me please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
His other games are written in Blitz Basic so I would imagine this is too?
Correct

Quote:
You welcome. Config menu done too.

I had other charity's in mind, but then I realized they would only benefit people living in my country, Britain, and thought non British people would be put off donating. The main reason I picked Cancer Research was it would benefit everyone world wide, as this is a world wide forum. Plus, I've had a family member die of the big C word too.
That was my reasons.

Cruicky

Last edited by DJCruicky; 09 March 2011 at 03:13.
Old 08 March 2011, 21:11   #33
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I hope if I can start from level 4 now, I also start with a basic weapon, the same like at the beginning of the game. This could be a new challenge.
Old 08 March 2011, 23:47   #34
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
About £250,00 payable to me please
Money in the post. ;-)
Old 09 March 2011, 03:10   #35
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Quote:
I hope if I can start from level 4 now, I also start with a basic weapon, the same like at the beginning of the game. This could be a new challenge.
no, but I have got an Easy, Medium and Hard setting in the game. Hard will challenge you no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
Money in the post. ;-)
Cheers

DJC
Old 09 March 2011, 17:37   #36
the wolf
Just Leeching

One of the best shareware game ever played on Amiga, if not the best (IMHO).
And great idea to donate something for a noble cause, I think it's a very good idea.
I'm not a UK citizen, but I donated, too. Best wishes for everything, can't wait to see your enhanced version of Alien Fish Finger, it's been a long time I didn't play with it!
Old 10 March 2011, 23:15   #37
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Just completed teh game again, 121600 points. David, tell us how many dead bodies is the game able to save? If I would play AFF 100 times and die, it is possible to find 100 Fish's corpses then?

BTW I think the game would like to have some nice intro
Old 12 March 2011, 02:06   #38
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wolf View Post
One of the best shareware game ever played on Amiga, if not the best (IMHO).
And great idea to donate something for a noble cause, I think it's a very good idea.
I'm not a UK citizen, but I donated, too. Best wishes for everything, can't wait to see your enhanced version of Alien Fish Finger, it's been a long time I didn't play with it!
Thanks for the Donation and nice comment.

Quote:
Just completed teh game again, 121600 points. David, tell us how many dead bodies is the game able to save? If I would play AFF 100 times and die, it is possible to find 100 Fish's corpses then?
200 in the new version, just 20 in the old. The oldest body gets deleted if you ever do get to this number.
DJ
Old 12 March 2011, 21:38   #39
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I found 8 weapons, while I got 7 (not enough enemy guns for 8th one). I have a suggestion: would it be possible to invent some score dependency on the weapon type? I think if I use weaker weapon to kill the enemy, I get more points?
Old 13 March 2011, 17:13   #40
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Haven't played this yet, but still gave a donation. Anyone who is still supporting the humble Amiga and doing their bit for charity is worth donating to in my opinion.