English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 December 2006, 23:18   #1
hitm4n

Deluxe Pocmon

Anyone who fondly remembers Deluxe Pacman from the Amiga will know how addictive that little beast was. Coming in the all time top 100 Amiga games in Amiga Power amongst all those commercial games was no mean feat. There were only 2 shareware games in that list and Edgar M Vigdal wrote both of em !!

Warblade has been out a while, Edgars remake of Deluxe Galaga, and now i am proud to announce that...

Deluxe Pocmon is released (http://www.warblade.as/pocmon)

I co-developed this new version with Edgar and would love for any of you guys to try out the demo and maybe offer some feedback. Like it enough and maybe shell out the huge fee of $15 (about £8) and buy it...

Thanks for listening. Have fun.
Hitm4n (aka Simon Quincey)

Last edited by hitm4n; 17 December 2006 at 23:55.
Old 17 December 2006, 23:35   #2
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitm4n
Anyone who fondly remembers Deluxe Pacman from the Amiga will know how addictive that little beast was. Coming in the all time top 100 Amiga games in Amiga Power amongst all those commercial games was no mean feat. There were only 2 shareware games in that list and Edgar M Vigdal wrote both of em !!

Warblade has been out a while, Edgars remake of Deluxe Galaga, and now i am proud to announce that...

Deluxe Pocmon is released (http://www.warblade.as/pocmon)

I co-developed this new version with Edgar and would love for any of you guys to try out the demo and maybe offer some feedback. Like it enough and maybe shell out the huge fee of $15 (about £8) and buy it...

Thanks for listening. Have fun.
Hitm4n (aka Simon Quincey)
Blast from the past. Always loved playing Deluxe Pacman... The graphics/music were just something else

Downloading now

P.S. I presume the Amiga version will be next year sometime? (wishes)
Old 17 December 2006, 23:49   #3
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
Just tried it and I think it's a very nice game, but you still can't configure the screen mode (or I haven't found it). Doesn't look very nice on my LCD in 800x600
Old 17 December 2006, 23:56   #4
hitm4n

try the Zoom mode in options.
Old 17 December 2006, 23:57   #5
hitm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s
P.S. I presume the Amiga version will be next year sometime? (wishes)
I have already compiled a package with the Amiga version in it for use in WinUAE. It wil be available soon to registered players
Old 18 December 2006, 00:09   #6
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitm4n
I have already compiled a package with the Amiga version in it for use in WinUAE. It wil be available soon to registered players
Seriously? awesome.. can't wait now

By the way I love the PC version, gorgeous visually and the sounds/music suit it perfectly Playability wise it's fantastic as well.. I shall deffo be ordering
Old 18 December 2006, 00:41   #7
hitm4n

Excellent. The vocals are all me and the music was carefully chosen from over 120 royalty free cd's. Yes i had to listen thru them all and it took me over 6 hours straight !! Damn there was some dross on those discs...

The full version does include 2 more tracks for the ingame music and more bonuses and of course 100 levels. More bonus rounds too and registering gets you lifetime updates and any extras we provide (voice packs, the pacman amiga zip etc).

There is actually a new version coming tonight to address a mistake we made (opengl is the default screenmode and thats very very slow for many people) so now DirectX is the default mode. Plus some other tweaks...

Glad you like it.
Old 20 December 2006, 14:58   #8
rgen

Send a message via ICQ to rgen
@hitman
Great game, I think I will register after the holidays.

2 bugs I discovered (1.01 beta):
  • when a game in darkness mode is aborted, the next game starts in darkness mode
  • the UserMusic directory is filled with the files from the data directory

Also the hard mode is a little bit slow compared to Deluxe Pacman's Expert mode
and would it be possible to use some system wait function instead of always using 100% cpu time?
Old 20 December 2006, 17:01   #9
hitm4n

Something doesn't sound right with your install as my versions of DP have nice clean usermusic folders, however i will check them both (full and demo).
About the CPU, if you click outside of the game window or alt tab from the game it should use 0% cpu. When inside the game i agree it does use 95-99% (at least for me) and this is something to look at.

Hope you continue to enjoy it and make that purchase If we can figure out these things then expect a new version shortly. Might be after xmas for these particular things but theres already another demo and full version coming soon with some fixes.

Have Fun.
Hitm4n.
Old 20 December 2006, 17:06   #10
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Hi

I think i will stick to the original Deluxe Pacman. Seems a bit silly paying for Shareware/PD Amiga games like that now.

Regards
Old 20 December 2006, 17:24   #11
hitm4n

lol. Up to you of course, but Deluxe Pocmon has much more than Deluxe Pacman did including more sounds, music and vocal effects. For a start the 4 player duel mode is a hoot. Drop bombs in your friends path and blow them up, shoot them with a laser, become the ghost and get revenge. Team modes too, more levels, more secrets, more new bonuses to pick up... it goes on. And all in prettier package with flare effects, particles etc. Now we all know that graphics does not make a game, but they sure do make it pretty. You can be assured that the game below is equally as good (better?) than Deluxe Pacman.

Have fun. Hope you'll at least try the demo.
Old 20 December 2006, 17:27   #12
Paul_s

upto Level 16... hmm any cheatcodes?! CU Amiga - deffo worth registering
Old 20 December 2006, 17:28   #13
rgen

Send a message via ICQ to rgen
@hitm4n

Just looked with an Innounpacker and the files are already twice in the pocmon_demo.exe
Old 20 December 2006, 17:34   #14
hitm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgen
@hitman
Great game, I think I will register after the holidays.

2 bugs I discovered (1.01 beta):
  • when a game in darkness mode is aborted, the next game starts in darkness mode
  • the UserMusic directory is filled with the files from the data directory
Also the hard mode is a little bit slow compared to Deluxe Pacman's Expert mode
and would it be possible to use some system wait function instead of always using 100% cpu time?
After speaking to Edgar he says that the CPU usage is denoted by the devkit we used. However he will contact the author of that and ask him if theres any way to reduce the use. Personally i don't think its a concern. Either you are playing the game or you aren't. If you want to do background tasks and theres not enough cpu time left, then maybe wait and play the game later. We will try to sort something out on this though as i agree 99% is a bit high At least its 0 when you click off or away from the game... The walls thing is just a matter of forgetting to reset a variable. Easy fix.
Old 20 December 2006, 17:35   #15
Photon

CU AMiGA, were you an employee at the classic magazine? I did a Pac-Man type game that was to be a coverdisk, you see. Would be very interesting which 1991(?) issue that was, if that's at all possible to find out now...

Hmm, I wrote somewhere that I was completing it this xmas, and then this came! Bah, my timing sucks ...

I'll hold off till after New Year's, so as not to get confused with the one from the Warblade guys. Mine is just a nice simple little experiment I did in 1991.
Old 20 December 2006, 17:35   #16
hitm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgen
@hitm4n

Just looked with an Innounpacker and the files are already twice in the pocmon_demo.exe
Ok, thats a mistake made for the 1.01 version then as my v1.0 is fine. Very odd though that the demo exe never ballooned in size ????

Will check it out.
Old 20 December 2006, 17:40   #17
hitm4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s
upto Level 16... hmm any cheatcodes?! CU Amiga - deffo worth registering
No cheats go into Eds games. However there are always ways to get hugererer scores. And a couple more secrets are going into the next version But of course my lips are sealed.
Old 20 December 2006, 18:34   #18
Paul_s

Simon,

How would I go about updating to release 1.01 of the game? I purchased the game on the 17th and the newer version was released the next day Doesn't seem to be anything on the pages about updating a registered version...

Old 20 December 2006, 19:17   #19
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Hi

I am very sure if the game is anything like Deluxe Pacman, it'll be very good. I was just saying it seems a little pointless paying for Amiga games when it has long been dead (the gaming scene) when you can download stuff for free off various sites. I will try out the trial version though when my Amiga is up and runnning again. Will probs prefer to play it on Amiga rather than PC

Regards
Old 20 December 2006, 19:36   #20
BippyM
Global Moderator

This is for the PC not amiga!