English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 July 2006, 20:26   #41
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Shit !! maybe bigger than i thought !!
How do you guts fancy a 2 gig workbench full of WHD games ??? I can fill the rest up with cd32 ISO.S ???

Or would you rather have an adf directory to fill the space ???

And what about a copper workbench ??? looks nice but will it slow things down ???
Old 16 July 2006, 23:15   #42
DamienD
Banned

Hey synchro,

This sounds awesome

BTW, I still haven't had the chance to test out the Amiga Tribute II on my PC and Xbox. Very sorry, been extremely busy with real life stuff over the past few weeks. Hopefully I'll get some time this week / next week and let you know how I get on...

If you need any CD32 games just let me know, I can burn a DVD full of them for you to select from and post them over to you
Old 16 July 2006, 23:40   #43
greenchili
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
What you mean is --> You want a set that someone else has got working cuz you're a lazy biatch
WinUAE is easy to use once you understand the amiga and how it runs at a semi-basic level!
Nah I just firmly believe in not re-inventing the wheel. :

Keep in mind, this is the Xbox emu we are talking here which is a little more difficult to configure and get going than WinUAE on a PC.

Plus I'd rather rely on people who are more familar with their respective machines. For example the C64, Amiga, and Atari ST gamebases are carefully crafted by people who more familar with those machines than I. Although I had Amiga's, I rarely used them for games (mostly strategy) and I sold them long before things like WHD existed so I'm unfamilar with that as well.

The whole idea is to make them available for someone unfamilar with the machine to enjoy (like my niece/nephew), not too people in the know. I want people to be able to look at it and say... "Hey, they Amiga was really pretty cool".

Tosec sets are a biatch to rename to 42 characters, try it some day.

Most Tosec sets have ten million variations of a game, when one will do, and it's a pain to figure out which one.

Some Tosec sets (like the Atari 800 ones) are not even worth the disk space they take. 95% of the files are in the incorrect format. Places like Atarmania release them in their "proper" format.

At one point I had an Amiga 500, 2000 (with 68030 acellerator board 8 megs of RAM, I believe), and an Amiga 1200. So I'm pretty familar with how an Amiga works.

Just too answer a few questions.

Comeon guys just because I was a little dissapointed with the Xbox side is no reason to jump all over me. The PC side is great, fantastic. But the xbox side is lacking period, I'm just telling the truth. Just because something is free doesn't mean a little constructive criticism wont hurt. It's not like I'm calling him names or anything. Sheesh. I still plan on making it available as a torrent somewhere, at some point.

Synchro made it sound as if the xbox and PC were sharing "ALL" of the files and that was what I was hoping for. I've seen ALOT of xbox emu compilations and I was dissapointed in almost all of them. Most of em people just slap a bunch of games on it and that's it.

That's why I'm working on some myself. I intend on taking it further. But really, why waste my time on unecessary work when I could be focusing my time on the rest? You'd be amazed at the amount of duplicate effort going on out there when it comes to certain things. I want people to rebuild what I do with whatever sets they already have available to them. Another couple months and I'll be mostly done.

Please note this is xbox specific... There are plenty of decent things available for PC owners.

Last edited by greenchili; 17 July 2006 at 01:32.
Old 16 July 2006, 23:44   #44
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchili
Tosec sets are a biatch to rename to 42 characters, try it some day.
Nah it's ok.. I have enough fun renaming to whatever length they are anyway
Old 17 July 2006, 01:09   #45
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Synchro made it sound as if the xbox and PC were sharing "ALL" of the files and that was what I was hoping for.
Actually i never said that.... i said they share the same game directory ( which they do ) all the ADF'S and the HDF files.... The cover i posted does tell you whats on the DVD for both PC and xbox.

I included the WHD games for the workbench mainly because thats what people wanted and WHDLoad deserve it.

Hopefully loads of people will now register with them as an added bonus so they keep up the great work

Also if you know WinUAEX very well you could actually run all the WHD games as well.....it just takes a bit of working out ...It just means a lot if directory jumping

Last edited by synchro; 17 July 2006 at 01:18.
Old 17 July 2006, 01:28   #46
greenchili
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro
greenchili
There are plenty of WinUAEX DVD's out there full to the brim of games .....im sure if you hunt around you will find what you need.....
My intention was to just make a dvd for both machines but it was always PC orientated as not everyone has an xbox......
No problem. But you know as well as I do that when it comes to x-port emu's it is not as simple as slapping in a disc and running stuff. Each time you select a disk the emu brings up a configuration screen that has to be gone thru first. It always defaults to the settings of the last disc selected so one has to be very careful everything is set properly or it wont work. Quite tedious. If I've already setup a game and put in a different disc/compilation and the filename is not exactly the same then the emu will not know that and it has to be reconfigured again.

WinUAE is alot easier you can practically load anything without tweaking a whole lot of settings. Plus there are like ten million pre-configured settings available on the net for people to rely on.

Quote:
Actually i never said that.... i said they share the same game directory ( which they do ) all the ADF'S and the HDF files.... The cover i posted does tell you whats on the DVD for both PC and xbox.

I included the WHD games for the workbench mainly because thats what people wanted and WHDLoad deserve it.

Hopefully loads of people will now register with them as an added bonus so they keep up the great work

Also if you know WinUAEX very well you can actually run all the WHD games as well.....it just takes a bit of working out ...It just means a lot if directory jumping
Right, but no proportion of Xbox vs PC stuff was really mentioned "Great selection of Amiga games" hardly qualifies as a definitive number. But yes I probably shoulda read the box more carefully. I guess I took the word "shared" a little too liberally.

Don't worry, I'm well aware the other stuff is accessible and I will eventually sit down and organize it the way I prefer for the xbox. So no need to concern yourself with a more specific Xbox release if you do not want to. I'll post my comments about that in the other thread as long as you can handle it and people won't jump down my throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Nah it's ok.. I have enough fun renaming to whatever length they are anyway
You've renamed the entire Tosec collection to 42 character length xbox compatible filenames (taking into consideration x-port's emu's treatment of certain characters) and then combined multiple disc games into one zip file?

Cool.... mind creating a .dat file for that? I'd love to use it.

Last edited by greenchili; 17 July 2006 at 02:32.
Old 17 July 2006, 01:34   #47
greenchili
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A600
I don't agree I'm using one of the workbenches included (n.9 IIRC) with my whdload key and it works pretty well.

Great job, synchro.
WHDload requires a key? Does that mean I have to register and purchase a key first to use it?

Guess I better get on over there and take care of that.
Old 17 July 2006, 02:14   #48
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

greenchili
I dont think anyones jumping down your throat but want what everybody does....(And it wont happen ) But basicly Xports Winuaex is as good as its ever going to get.
Actually its nobodys fault but the Amiga itself !!
Most other Emus like Snes...C64...Gameboy...Atari....etc all work on one configeration and the Amiga didnt ...So personally i think Xport and Tony Wilen have done a superb job on Amiga emulation as i think its now possible to run just about every game ever made...

Heres a bit of party info...UAE originally stood for "Useless Amiga Emulator" ( its true ) as the years went on and it was improved they named it "Usefull Amiga Emulator" Nowadays its commonly known as "Ultimate Amiga Emulator"
Basicly do what i did....i made the DVD i always wanted myself and shared it....Whether anyone likes what you create is irrelivent...If it does the job for you like mine does for me then thats all you really want.
The idea of the xbox expansion disk is to perhaps give you the best of both worlds but it will still need to be set up .....Thats the Xbox for ya
Old 17 July 2006, 02:24   #49
greenchili
Zone Friend

No problem... I don't deny being selfish. I'm creating my sets mostly for myself and then just plan on sharing with anyone else who actually cares to have it. Ultimately I plan on creating .cfg files for all titles and just making them available. Although that is phase two cause it takes so long.

WinueaX lets you upload/download config's from x-port's site, but if you've ever looked at how people set those things up you'd understand why I prefer to do it myself.

Anyways I'm just satisfied that someone took the time to slap everything together in a useable format. It should take me no time at all to make it more xbox friendly once I can sit down with it. I'm in the middle of too many other things to do it just yet though, and I still need to get my gamebase set in synch with the recent update.

We just need to get you a custom disc label or maybe a cd-scribe drive to go with that nice case.
Old 17 July 2006, 02:44   #50
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Funny enough it was on Winuaex that i discovered how to use the hardrive as an Amiga virtual hardrive.I find the whole thing to be amazingly easy compared to Winuae but that's probably because at the time i really wanted to run 3dGalax and that required WHD for me and i was determined to to understand this part of Amiga emulation.I guess it's what you learn to use first as both in truth are fiddley due to the amount of options you obviously need in an emulator like this.Only at the start mind.

I'd be lost without Winuae these days it's unbelievable.Thanks Toni.

Last edited by Adropac2; 17 July 2006 at 02:50.
Old 17 July 2006, 02:59   #51
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2
Funny enough it was on Winuaex that i discovered how to use the hardrive as an Amiga virtual hardrive.I find the whole thing to be amazingly easy compared to Winuae but that's probably because at the time i really wanted to run 3dGalax and that required WHD for me and i was determined to to understand this part of Amiga emulation.I guess it's what you learn to use first as both in truth are fiddley due to the amount of options you obviously need in an emulator like this.Only at the start mind.

I'd be lost without Winuae these days it's unbelievable.Thanks Toni.
LOL !!
Its usually the way it happens when you really want to play something in particular you go all out to learn how to do it.
I have just myself for the first time of trying managed to get workbench and all the WHD games running from the Tribute DVD on the xbox but like i said its a bloody fiddly directory swapping job so i plan to make it as simple as possible on the expansion disk though im still not sure of the best way.

Greenchili
Making the configs and releasing them is a great idea !!
Sounds like a great idea for a web page as well ......Have you thought of doing that
Old 17 July 2006, 03:15   #52
Adropac2
Zone Friend

[quote=synchro]LOL !!
Its usually the way it happens when you really want to play something in particular you go all out to learn how to do it.
I have just myself for the first time of trying managed to get workbench and all the WHD games running from the Tribute DVD on the xbox but like i said its a bloody fiddly directory swapping job so i plan to make it as simple as possible on the expansion disk though im still not sure of the best way.

Sounds good.Yeah i'm glad i did take the effort to learn this stuff and WHD is excellent.
Old 17 July 2006, 03:49   #53
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
LOL !!

Greenchili
Making the configs and releasing them is a great idea !!
Sounds like a great idea for a web page as well ......Have you thought of doing that
How is your directory set up at the moment?.I'm trying to imagine what sort of problems you are having.
Old 17 July 2006, 03:51   #54
greenchili
Zone Friend

When I get to it I'll probably release the .cfg files on the xbox repository and they will be named to match the names of the screenshot packs I created. But it's a big task and I wanna finish with the ROM renaming and compiling of snaps, titles, boxart and any other art for the sets I'm currently working on first.

Once I finish with all the screenshots I'll probably sit down and start hashing out Amiga configurations. As well as Intellivision, Atari 800xl/5200, Dosbox, and Apple IIe. A bit of work I might say. I want people to be able to load, say, an Intellivision game and say "Hey this game is pretty cool", instead of "How the hell do you control this thing?". And unlike the fine people who did the Amiga Gamebase here I'm not familar with the various quirks games typically exhibit so at best I make sure the game loads far enough to actually run ingame. So I could easily be overlooking some unusual quirk.

I usually try to customize just enough xbox buttons to make a game functional based on what I can figure out from the game without documentation. That is probably the part that takes the longest. It's like that with the Intellivision, but at least I have the overlays as reference. I try to keep a certain consistency in the layout, but it's all based on my preferences.

As far as webpages. I have zero webpage skill's and even less web page layout skills. So I'll just be uploading them to the repository with a little readme.txt file explaining what to do with them.
Old 17 July 2006, 04:18   #55
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2
How is your directory set up at the moment?.I'm trying to imagine what sort of problems you are having.

I have 4 odd gig to play with......If i include all the whd games and the Demos that are on the tribute disk it still comes to just under 3 gig .....But how to do it is the question.....Ideally i wanted one workbench.hdf with everything on it but both winuae and winuaex only see 1 gig

So do i make 3 workbench hdf's (games A-H) and ( games i-z ) and ( Demos) ???
Or one empty workbench so people can attach seperate HDF'S ...ie (games a-h.hdf ) etc as a second drive.......Or just directories for people to attach ???

Theres quite a few ways to do it but whats the easiest do you think for people to use ??? Either way looks like the games and demos and a lot of other stuff should fit well on this one
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

But then i came up with this idea !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thinking about it i could just have WORKBENCH.HDF and a WHD directory that could contain it all....all people would have to do is attach that one dir as a second drive....When workbench boots the WHD directory would contain all sub dirs of Games...Demos etc !!

Wouldnt look messy or confusing would it