English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 18 March 2017, 09:21   #1
blatboy

Am I new? I knew I'm not so new but, no, I don't know.

Greetings.

I've been on this board for so long as a lurker, I was surprised that my username didn't work. Alas, I had not registered here. This blows my freakin' mind. I've been active, on and off for many years on other Amiga forums, as well as C64 forums, vintage Apple forums, Atari forums, various other electronics forums etc etc etc. I'm an Amiga enthusiast, but this is hardly mutually exclusive for me. I consider myself as being operating system (platform?) agnostic.

I'm a full time musician and a struggling "weekend warrior" engineer... Hardware or software, depends on which way the wind blows at any particular moment. While I'm no noob, I'm usually in over my head.

I double majored in music and computer science back in the day. Never finished the Comp sci major, but took all the programming classes that were required of one. I had planned on getting my masters in computer sci, but I fell off a cliff and whacked my head on a bunch of rocks in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico while riding a four wheeler hoping to see a playboy bunny rocking the playmate of the year photo session. I never saw her, but one of the photographers saw me go over and sent help. Having survived that, I figured I'd probably survive a career blowing hot air though a piece of plumbing for the rest of my life. Why not, right?

So, vintage computers and old gadgets and shiny things with lights and knobs and buttons fell to the wayside as I moved to NYC to rock the analog... ahem acoustic scene. Fast forward about a decade and a half. I get into the cartoon composing biz, switch to a Mac, and eventually build a small music/project studio, and start to do my own repairs. Thus, the floodgates open again. I set up my old 500 and my 64 so that I could access them at any time I didn't need to (haha) in the studio. I replace the caps on a Mac Classic II that I picked up on eBay for $30. (Note: I've ruined every cap replacement job after that. Unfortunately that first success gave me a false sense of security.) I used my old 64 (and various flavors of hardware SID synths) to do music for a series of cartoons. Suddenly my vintage computer habit is TAX DEDUCTIBLE!? Next thing I know, through a very interesting set of circumstances, I become the owner of a stack of seriously tricked out Amigas. I've done repairs on them. I've broken them further. I've sent some of them off for repairs. My last real deep dive on the Amiga (outside of playing some games/looking at old files) was in '92. That was probably the last time I opened a shell on a mig. And now I'm finding myself completely into it again... ordering hardware I can't afford... diving into aminet and forums like it's candy. JANE STOP THIS CRAZY THING!

I'm setting up the 1200 as a game machine (will probably rock a ClassicWB situation on it.) I'm setting up the A3000 as the 040 mothership. I've put a SCSI2SD in the A3000. It's taken many hours, but I'm getting pretty close. One thing that's great, is I bring the card with me and can work on the setup via WinUAE anywhere I have the room with my laptop. When I get home, I plop that sucka in to the 3000 and wham. I keep going. I'm planning on diving into some C again. I've got a million little questions about a million things, but... the more I do it, the more I realize most the info is out there if you know how to look for it. And mostly... I do. I just set up my first PFS system which seems to be working ok with the SCSI2SD situation. Keeping notes is key when doing deep dives. God I love Evernote for this. Now if only they'd make an Amiga68K version. *sigh*

Sure, I know you didn't ask for my freakin' life story. I've got some time on my hands at the moment, and I wanted to make you suffer.

That said, this forum is where some amazing stuff happens... by some really talented folks. It's an honor to be here, even if all I had to do was click "register" to get in. Haha. Ahem.

As you were...
Old 19 March 2017, 06:19   #2
emufan

majority seems that buzy, not replying to new members, so I jump in - welcome to the bright side of the board
Old 19 March 2017, 12:13   #3
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Yup, welcome. Nice story
Old 19 March 2017, 15:01   #4
Genlock
Out to Grass

Welcome blatboy "the lurker"
Old 20 March 2017, 04:32   #5
blatboy

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genlock View Post
Welcome blatboy "the lurker"

Haha. I like the ring of that.
Old 20 March 2017, 07:25   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@blatboy

Welcome to "inside" the forum =)
Old 20 March 2017, 07:38   #7
blatboy

Hey thanks. It's nice to be in with the in crowd.
Old 20 March 2017, 09:55   #8
fgh

Welcome!
Remember to remove or replace the battery of the a3000!
And make backups of your CF cards while you have them in WinUAE
Old 20 March 2017, 18:56   #9
blatboy

Thanks for the hot tips. I've already had experiences setting up the SCSI2SD that reinforce your point about backing up the CF card. Thanks for the reminder.

Luckly, the battery in the a3000 had already been replaced, but I replaced it again.

one of these jobbies:

Old 20 March 2017, 20:16   #10
DamienD
Banned

Welcome to EAB blatboy; cool story
Old 20 March 2017, 21:05   #11
blatboy

Thanks!
Old 22 March 2017, 01:32   #12
Signman

Thanks for the story, good read.
Stop this crazy thing is right. At least keep it under control.
Old 22 March 2017, 03:57   #13
blatboy

Old 22 March 2017, 13:38   #14
chaos

Hey, welcome to EAB!

I love the trombone on Sinkin' Soon, nice to see the person blowing in the pipes is an Amiga fan too
Old 22 March 2017, 17:15   #15
blatboy

Haha thanks! Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 March 2017, 22:31   #16
trixster
Guru Meditating

Hello old chap.
Old 05 April 2017, 16:14   #17
blatboy

Old indeed haha.
Old 07 April 2017, 20:12   #18