English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 09 March 2013, 23:46   #1
Photon

Using a high-end Android phone/tablet as replacement for laptop+WinUAE

Now, I gave ye olde laptop some love so that it works beautifully as an emergency solution at demoparties. I should really just use that.

But since my phone is 5" and it came with a charger stand, I realized that if there are good enough emulators, I could get a Bluetooth* keyboard and that would be all I'd have to bring.

I tried UAE4Droid, and it has issues with game trackloaders, but that's no problem. It doesn't like kick 3.1, but that's no problem. It doesn't support halfbrite which is a bummer, but it could be acceptable if the rest of the hardware support is accurate.

The clincher is whether there is

1. Bluetooth keyboard support (i.e. read keyboard without filling half the screen with a touch keyboard), and
2. Boot from microSD card (boot diskette is fine).

I just wondered: Is 1 & 2 in the works, or do you know an emulator that already has it?

* prior art and i.p. credited to Harald Blåtand of viking legend.
Old 10 March 2013, 13:19   #2
olesio

@Photon: if I understand you good, I can recommand you this emulator for Android: http://anddev.at.ua/load/emulators/u...ition/2-1-0-20 - it support AGA, kick 3.1 and harddisk files. Unfortunetly some WHDLoad games like "Superfrog" can exit suddenly after start first level play. Also unfortunetly some two player games like "Pang" or "Mortal Kombat" are unplayable, because when you hit fire button twice, second player is activeted and you control both of them. Also on my Pentagram TAB 8.0 I must set frameskip to one and lower sound quality because my device CPU probable was to weak, to handle sound playing without pauses. But over all this is better emulator than many not working ports or working very slow like some Czech's emulator or avaiable emulator whic only support kick 1.3.
Old 10 March 2013, 20:31   #3
Photon

Yeah, I saw he posted that in the other thread. Great, I'll try it It seems to have support for physical controls and harddisks, and comes from the most developed ARM emulator. I may be deluding myself a little bit as to how usable anything but WinUAE is as a backup dev env for my Amiga, either way that's no reason to not have the best emu on it
Old 10 March 2013, 22:23   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
P-UAE is very good. I have been using this for awhile now.
Old 11 March 2013, 12:27   #5
olesio

@FOL: did you mean this: http://droidpuae.blogspot.com - because I have exacly other opinion about it. Do not run under Android 4.X and Pentagram TAB 8.0. I send my questions and report to author very long time ago, and no reaction. Big minus for that.
Old 11 March 2013, 19:04   #6
lubomyr
AMIGA EMU DEV

@olesio
You can try my build PUAE 2.3.3
http://anddev.at.ua/load/emulators/p...lator/2-1-0-15
It must works with Android 4.x
Old 01 May 2013, 14:57   #7
CDTV1991

I've tried Gnostic's P-UAE, unfortunately I don't understand how it works as there is no user interface for a basic user like myself.

UAE4DROID seems like the most user friendly and seems to be getting better all the time. I'd like to see the mouse control working better as its quite bad now (calibration?). Some way of connecting a USB or bluetooth mouse would be good, ideally connecting a USB or Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard at the same time. Multiple save states would be very useful and an on-screen button to toggle a keyboard rather than clicking through the menu.

If there was such an app as reliable and user friendly as WinUAE for android, running on a tablet, with a real mouse and keyboard then I'd happily pay over £40 for it.

(I also posted this is the other android thread)
Old 01 May 2013, 16:50   #8
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Gnostics and lubomyr's builds of P-UAE are the way to go. They just need optimisation.
FS was talking about FS-UAE port.
Old 02 May 2013, 14:32   #9
CDTV1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Gnostics and lubomyr's builds of P-UAE are the way to go. They just need optimisation.
FS was talking about FS-UAE port.
Can anyone point me towards a guide that shows how to use these?
Old 03 May 2013, 13:12   #10
lubomyr
AMIGA EMU DEV

I received new device - Hero H7500+ based on cpu MTK6589 (quad core Cortex A7 1.2Ghz, GPU PowerVR SGX544MP)
When i tested uae4all2, total max cpu load is 25%, used only 1-core (at 100% load) from 4, all other 3-cores not used.
Same problem with all others amiga emulators for android.

CPU Graph - when work Symphonie player pro in uae4all2

Last edited by lubomyr; 03 May 2013 at 13:32.
Old 03 May 2013, 16:48   #11
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Isn't that typical behaviour? It's rare that emulators (especially of older hardware) are multi-threaded, so they'll only use a single processor. If that processor is hitting 100% load then chances are emulation isn't at 100% speed either.
Old 03 May 2013, 17:51   #12
lubomyr
AMIGA EMU DEV

Probably i'm not right and used 2-cores from 4

but sometimes sound is interrupted