English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 27 July 2007, 13:22   #1
mailman
Zone Friend

Date of release

I am not sure whether it was mentioned but I would like to see exact release date of the game in the database. Year is OK but it would be nice to have a month or (if possible) even a day.

What do you say? In case of a day it is pretty difficult to get such data but with a month it should be easier. Sometimes it is hard to predict when two games were from 1993 which of them was from the beginning and which from the end of the year.
Old 27 July 2007, 13:52   #2
Galaxy

It's not the sort of information that would be easy to determine as the published release dates (if you can even find them) were often not met.

I certainly don't think this would be a priority as there are far more useful improvements that can be made to the database.
Old 28 July 2007, 10:28   #3
A500-Danny
lone-wolf-Amiga-500-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
[...] I would like to see exact release date of the game in the database. Year is OK but it would be nice to have a month or (if possible) even a day. [...] Sometimes it is hard to predict when two games were from 1993 which of them was from the beginning and which from the end of the year.
In case of a month, this is already indirectly implemented:
Just click on the "Review" tab and you can easily determine a two or three months period, when the game was available to the public.
Full reviews were mostly published within a short time frame (some weeks) of the actual release date.

This is enough information in my view.

---

@all EAB members
But generally: (concerning suggestions how to possibly improve HOL)
Don't fear to make suggestions! Even if they won't be implemented it's better to have 100 suggestions and 2 among them are golden instead of having no suggestions at all.
So, even if some people say "no, it's not possible / important / whatever" (these could all be valid points!), don't mistake this as a "no" to your suggestion-making!

Well, that's how I think about it. I hope (and I'm quite sure) I'm not the only one.

Last edited by A500-Danny; 28 July 2007 at 11:07. Reason: added "@all EAB members"
Old 28 July 2007, 10:40   #4
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A500-Danny View Post
In case of a month, this is already indirectly implemented:
Just click on the "Review" tab and you can easily determine a two or three months period, when the game was available to the public.
Full reviews were mostly published within a short time frame (some weeks) of the actual release date.
I do the same but sometimes this information is useless. Magazines tended to review games which never existed. They reviewed previews as full games, they wrote strange things about ETA or even number of disks (in reviews, not in previews). It is hard to tell what is true.

Quote:
This is enough information in my view.
From the historical point of view this information is not enough. It sometimes misleads.

Quote:
But generally: (concerning suggestions how to possibly improve HOL)
Don't fear to make suggestions! Even if they won't be implemented it's better to have 100 suggestions and 2 among them are golden instead of having no suggestions at all.
I do not fear of it I assume that not every suggestions may be implemented.
Old 28 July 2007, 11:04   #5
A500-Danny
lone-wolf-Amiga-500-fan

Quote:
I do the same but sometimes this information is useless.
That's true. Some mags and reviewers did wrote questionable stuff, that was not reliable.
But luckily many games have lots of reviews, making information more reliable if you check them all. For these games this is not much of an issue then. But for the other games, you're right.

Quote:
I do not fear of it I assume that not every suggestions may be implemented.
What I wrote about suggestions was not specifically addressed to you, mailman, but to others who might read this in the future. I didn't think of you having fear posting suggestions, because you already have posted them!
Old 28 July 2007, 13:49   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Turbo Trax is a great example of why you can't trust magazine reviews!