English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 14 October 2009, 21:30   #1
Shadowfire

SFS on base 68000

I have tested SFS on a dual boot (68000/68030) 3.1 system, and it guru's when booting in 68000 mode.

Has anyone attempted to compile SFS? I'm thinking about setting up a C environment and having a go at it, to try and get a 68000 version. The SFS package uploaded to Aminet has two object files, cachedio.o and deviceio.o, but no associated source files (I presume that these were written in assembler and the author didn't include the source code), which would be a problem if the incompatibility is within these files.
Old 14 October 2009, 21:49   #2
Photon

SFS is made for 020+ only.
Old 15 October 2009, 01:18   #3
Shadowfire

Yeah, I was wondering how difficult it would be to modify it for 68000. Going to be very difficult without the source code for the assembler routines, though.
Old 15 October 2009, 01:23   #4
Photon

Well, it either takes releasing the sources openly, or someone resourcing the binaries and spending the time to make them work, then replace the non-68000 instructions with 68000 instructions.

If the sources are available, it's probably a matter of changing a setting and recompiling them. If the sources were available, that'd probably been done by now?

Dunno why it was originally 68020+ only, but surely it must have something to do with an enormous speed gain.

Sorry. I really must stop nibbling those spotty sarcasm-mushrooms!!!!1one
Old 16 October 2009, 00:03   #5
Cammy

You might be better off looking for PFS3 or AFS to use on your 68000 partition. Both of these file systems are superior to FFS, and in some ways can perform better than SFS anyway.
Old 16 October 2009, 09:39   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

SFS is an open source project. Hence why there are ports to MorphOS, AmigaOS4 even AROS.

Because it has targeted native x86, PPC and M68k CPU's I doubt very much if there is much raw assembler in the code. Meaning it may be possible to create binaries which do not need 020+ cpus.

Last edited by alexh; 16 October 2009 at 09:45.
Old 18 October 2009, 20:22   #7
Photon

Yeah, right now it's targeted at a subset of M68k CPUs.

But yes, it would be cool if they could recompile it so all Amiga owners can enjoy it!
Old 18 October 2009, 21:27   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

No-one is going to do it for you. Either you get to grips with Amiga development, C compilers etc. or you go without.

And as I've said in another thread the updates over the last 10 years have not been released. Version 1.84 (i.e. 1.084) is the last for which the source is available. The latest being 1.279
Old 20 October 2009, 14:07   #9
Shadowfire

Actually, it looks like they have a CVS repository up with the sources. If I get the inclination, I'll pull them & see how much work it is to recompile.
Old 20 October 2009, 14:16   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

All that is, is the source included with SFS 1.084 archive. There have been no commits since the original files.

The sourceforge area was set up by Michal Schulz of AROS not either of the SFS authors.
Old 20 October 2009, 19:32   #11
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
No-one is going to do it for you. Either you get to grips with Amiga development, C compilers etc. or you go without.

And as I've said in another thread the updates over the last 10 years have not been released. Version 1.84 (i.e. 1.084) is the last for which the source is available. The latest being 1.279
If you knew me (as your last two smug comments suggest you don't), I'd sooner resource all binaries and remove the incompatible instructions than install a c development system on my Amigas. I'm an assembler coder and defender of OCS and 68000 when (it seems) most Amigans think the minimum Amiga to care about is an A1200 with turbo card, and all the rest can be thrown away. There are too many slow and big c programs for Amiga made through history already anyway, so what I do I do in asm for OCS/68000 AND UP.

Surely, though, you see I'm not going to do all that work if someone that already have have a c devsys set up and know what they're doing can simply get the latest released source and set a few flags and recompile it.

Developing for a subset of M68k has been a common issue on Amiga, and I'm sure I'll see it for future software. It's a complete showstopper and criticizing it is always correct, regardless of whether the development progress/circumstances are known or not.
Old 20 October 2009, 19:47   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I'd sooner resource all binaries and remove the incompatible instructions than install a c development system on my Amigas.
Heh.

Quote:
I'm not going to do all that work if someone that already have have a c devsys set up and know what they're doing can simply get the latest released source and set a few flags and recompile it.
When you first posted I asked BuZz of Exotica to take a look at it. He is a good developer and has ported C-code programs from OS4 to 3.x in the past. He was a bit concious that the only source was the 1.084 and if anyone would actually want it.

Quote:
Developing for a subset of M68k has been a common issue on Amiga, and I'm sure I'll see it for future software. It's a complete showstopper and criticizing it is always correct, regardless of whether the development progress/circumstances are known or not.
Depends if the application is impractical for a 68000. Obviously in the case of SFS, a file system, it is not.. but I would question the rationale of say a 3D graphics card driver or a video media player.
Old 20 October 2009, 20:47   #13
Photon

Well, those would be impractical for any Amiga less than 68060@80 too... unless you want to watch crap :P

3d gfx cards, video player, browser with scripting languages et al... the barrier that divides modern computers from even the fastest least old Motorola Amiga. For any other type of app, I'd say all of them are suited for 68000. Hell, even Real3D was usable on my A500! (Render times were long though, hehe )

And yeah, I can chat with Buzz what he thinks on irc tonight.
Old 23 October 2009, 03:21   #14
Shadowfire

I pulled a few of the .c files from the html repository browser.
There is next to no information about the compile environment. A quick check with StormC quickly brought up typedef errors.
Additionally, there are pragmas that are obviously assembler MULU64 directives. So, yes, there is a small amount of embedded assembler in the C files. Which is why it chokes on a 68000.
If I can make some time this weekend I'll see if I can un-optimize the code and get it to compile for a 68000.
Old 28 October 2009, 13:36   #15
TotO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
If I can make some time this weekend I'll see if I can un-optimize the code and get it to compile for a 68000.
I hope you can compile it for 68000 !!!