English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 01 April 2011, 15:49   #41
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Is it still ok to use powericons with this new png supporting icon lib ? I only ask as I tried without and was left with ....interesting results like no png icon on the disk icon, and instead the png icon showed as a file named disk in the root of the folder.

Things do appear fine with powericons and latest lib installed, but is it ok this way.
Old 01 April 2011, 16:50   #42
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
I don't have a problem with the benchtrash icon here.
Worked this one out - my def_trashcan icon was a project icon. Changed it to trashcan type and now it's fine.

Dual icons are working great! Thanks!
Old 01 April 2011, 19:34   #43
PeterK

@Mad-Matt
Quote:
....interesting results like no png icon on the disk icon, and instead the png icon showed as a file named disk in the root of the folder.
This happens when you copy a project icon or a program icon with a disk image from an icon collection to disk.info of your drive. It has the wrong icon type. 'disk.info' in the root directory must really have the type 'disk'. But the icon collections can't display any icons of the type 'disk'. They won't be visible.
Thus, most of the disk icons in the icon collections are of the type 'program' or 'project'.

So, what to do to convert the type automactically to 'disk' ?
Hmm, RAM:BlaBla didn't help, sorry.
Select the drive and use WB:icon->information which should display the image.
Change the type to 'disk', change the name to something else and save.

I hope that works ?!? And yes, of course, you can still use the PowerIcons patch. But you must decide yourself what you prefer to save. Saving with the PowerIcons patch will drop the selected (glow) image, but saving with my icon.library will covert the PNG TrueColor images into 8 bit OS 3.5 style. At leat ATM.

Update following at: [url]http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4

Last edited by PeterK; 30 April 2011 at 07:38.
Old 04 April 2011, 14:50   #44
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Damn I just saw that! I was about to reply in the thread since everytime I opened Ken's Icons folder I lost about 20MB that were lost in a black hole (Avail Flush couldn't retrieve not even 1kb)

Thanks a lot PeterK! \o/
Old 04 April 2011, 15:03   #45
PeterK

Hi mfilos !

Extra for you, 46.4.198: ....to get rid of the ENVatatypes/1.PNG

Don't need it anymore ! --- Btw, when you use Avail Flush to check for memory losses then please switch the shell buffers of, or they willl also eat up some bytes for every new line in the shell !

Update following at: http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4

Last edited by PeterK; 30 April 2011 at 07:38.
Old 04 April 2011, 15:19   #46
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Damn! I need to make new version now LOL. Just made the new with 46.3.147!
On my way!

Btw just for info:
- My A600 clone booting into WB : 64MB free
- Opening Ken's Icons V4 folder : 27.2MB free
- Closing Ken's Icons folder window : 29.9MB free
- After running Avail flush command : 30MB free
Where did the other 34MB go? LOL

And also, in my ECS Amiga, Ken's icons weren't appearing unless I installed my registered WarpDT datatypes. And again then the background was a little weird unless I unchecked the "Default Background" option under PNG options
You gotta love Amigas.... they're full of surprises

Thanks for your efforts my friend
Old 04 April 2011, 15:25   #47
PeterK

Quote:
the new with 46.3.147!
WHAT ??

Quote:
then the background was a little weird unless I unchecked the "Default Background" option under PNG options
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=745483&postcount=28

Quote:
Where did the other 34MB go?
Should be fixed since 46.4.197, or not ??
Old 04 April 2011, 15:38   #48
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Sorry 46.3.147 was a typo I meant 46.4.197
The MB loss isn't fixed. I think it's better but still many MB missing. The problem occurs on 46.4.198 as well, since I just tested it.
It only happens on Ken's Icons. On MasonIcons you loose almost no RAM.
(Are Ken's Icons different by any chance? Dual PNG)

Cheers mate

P.S. By the way, I always had the question WHY: version icon.library just outputs "icon.library 46.4", while version <path>:icon.library.46.4.198 outputs "icon.library 46.4.198" ? (ofc I don't have any version of icon.library under LIBS: and the library is being loaded via Remus (in old icon's library position). Both libraries are the same (in ROM and in HD path)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IconLibVer.png
Views:	364
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	28301  

Last edited by mfilos; 04 April 2011 at 16:07.
Old 04 April 2011, 16:26   #49
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
The MB loss isn't fixed. I think it's better but still many MB missing. The problem occurs on 46.4.198 as I just tested it.
It only happens on Ken's Icons. On MasonIcons you don't loose almost no RAM.
(Are Ken's Icons different by any chance? Dual PNG)
Ken's icons are Dual PNG and thus depend on the datatypes.library, the picture.datatype and the akPNG/ PNGdt / WarpPNG.datatype when you use them with my icon.library. MasonIcons are OS4 icons and just need the zlib-library 3.20 for decoding with my icon.library.

So, which version of these libs do you use. Did you already try PNGdt from Gunther Nickel. It has no memloss on my system.

The version command has a different behaviour concerning the version of libraries which are installed in memory and running in the system and those which are stored in the filesystem. And there are also different version commands, of course. Type 'Version ?' into a shell for the syntax. If you type just 'Version xy.library' then you get the internal version of the installed library. If you type 'Version Libs:xy.library' you should get the version of the stored library. You cand also add FILE or FULL as arguments. With FULL the complete $VER: versionID string should be displayed, with copyright, date, build revision or whatever info is available.
Old 04 April 2011, 16:52   #50
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I use the following:
- Icon.library : 46.4.198 (in the ROM)
- WarpPNG.datatype: 45.14
- Datatypes.library : 44.48 (in the ROM)
- Picture.datatype : 45.17
- PNG.datatype : 44.6
- zlib.library : 3.2

I haven't used Gunther Nickel's PNGdt, since I have WarpDT registered and I love them. Tbh, I don't really care for the memory loss, since I'll never use PNG icons on my A600, but even if I do on my A1200 AGA mode, I would convert them in 8bit via Icon information so no harm done

I kinda understood better the versioning stuff, although... although... even with Version FULL I get 46.4 in the ROM icon.library and 46.3.198 in the icon.library in an hard drive path
If it's no prob, then I don't care at all.
Old 04 April 2011, 19:05   #51
PeterK

Hmm, seems all to be ok. I use the same versions of these libs here.
Check your other system patches for memory allocation and the graphics and disable them.
Old 06 April 2011, 07:58   #52
NovaCoder

This is interesting.

So what's the performance like vs the 'standard' OS3.9 icons under AGA?
Old 06 April 2011, 08:31   #53
gulliver
BoingBagged

Should be faster as it has IconBeFast functionality built-in, and I am pretty sure PeterK did some other clever optimizations to the code.
Old 06 April 2011, 10:03   #54
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

PNG Icons aren't fast under AGA. But if you convert them to 8bit Amiga icons (draggin and replacing using simply the Icon information menu) they are as fast as the original icons!
Old 07 April 2011, 17:19   #55
James

Just noticed that my SimpleMail icon is switching from a tool icon to a project icon with default tool: JUNK when I use this library. Switching to AfA it becomes a tool icon again.

This happens when the original icon is changed to Ken's V4 icon via RAWBinfo on an AfA system. (Just tried it again with same result)

Last edited by James; 07 April 2011 at 18:23. Reason: Update
Old 11 April 2011, 03:10   #56
PeterK

@Mad-Matt
Quote:
....interesting results like no png icon on the disk icon, and instead the png icon showed as a file named disk in the root of the folder
Now, I hope I could at least solve the first part of your problem with the PNG disk icons.

Disk icons derived from ENV:sys/def_disk.info or similar deficons should work even if their type is set to 'project', 'tool' or 'drawer'. The OS 3.5+ icon.library did not convert these deficons automatically into 'disk' icons. And I'm not sure if I should make any type of 'Disk.info' invisible in the root dirs of all disks.

@James
If a PNG icon has a default tool then my icon.library sets the type always to 'project'. And if some stupid tools like it to assign 'JUNK' as the default tool then please ask their authors why they do such a nonsense ??

Update: http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4

Last edited by PeterK; 30 April 2011 at 07:39.
Old 11 April 2011, 08:32   #57
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Thx for the update PeterK.
Tried it on my A600 and works just fine as always
Old 11 April 2011, 15:56   #58
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
@James
If a PNG icon has a default tool then my icon.library sets the type always to 'project'. And if some stupid tools like it to assign 'JUNK' as the default tool then please ask their authors why they do such a nonsense ??
Have now tried updating the original icon via OS 4.1, resulting in an icon that works perfectly with your library. So it would seem this is a problem with the patched version of RAWBinfo..??
Old 11 April 2011, 17:40   #59
gulliver
BoingBagged

Slightly off topic:

Just to let you know that I emailed Robert S. asking if he would consider a port of his soon to be released 32 bit icon editor (OS4) on 3.9 (You know 3.9 also uses some ReAction classes, so porting should be a bit easier than 3.1).

In this way, together with PeterKĀ“s icon.library we could have the chance to integrate even further the 32 bit icon features in a 3.9 Workbench enviroment.

Robert S. said he will check what can be done and will give me an answer. For now he is finalizing the version for OS4.
Old 11 April 2011, 17:44   #60
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
nice