English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 06 June 2002, 07:31   #1
Pyromania

PowerMac 5400 for sale

I am selling my PowerMac do to nonuse. Bidding starts at 0.01. So if the Mac is your thing go for it. It works great and is a 200 Mhz machine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ndexURL=0&rd=1

This machine will not run Mac OS X but does come with OS 9.1

It is an iMac like all in one unit with a monitor included.

I heard that Mac OS X is in fact based on FreeBSD, I had thought it was based on NextStep. Isn’t that why Apple paid $400 million dollars for Steve Jobs and Next? What are those Apple innovators doing if they have to use FreeBSD?
Old 06 June 2002, 08:51   #2
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

It is NExtStep based yes. You have no idea what you are talking about. Stop spreading your ignorance, mmmkay? Now you "heard" the truth.
Old 06 June 2002, 09:42   #3
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
It is NExtStep based yes. You have no idea what you are talking about. Stop spreading your ignorance, mmmkay? Now you "heard" the truth.
Sorry to burst your bubble but Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD

http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/faq/index.html

I guess Steve Jobs and the group of engineers Apple got when they gave Next $400 million to become part of Apple has made Jobs and company very rich. I bet the Chinese dinner was on Steve Jobs that night.

I bought an Apple product new once, the Newton messagepad 130 for $800 in 1996. I tried to support Apple on what I thought was a cutting edge tool with features I needed. Apple killed the Newton just when it started to take off because Steve Jobs did not like the guy that came up with the idea. What is Apple's PDA solution today? Nothing!

I hate Apple's policy of trying to make whatever Apple product you bought last year a doorstop this year. Forced upgrades for decades. What did all the Mac computer upgrades get the userbase? Nothing, Apple has dumped the Mac OS and the Mac hardware and started over with FreeBSD. I would hope that some of the ideas from NextStep are there and a few are. But any Mac owner that bought into the idea of the Mac before OS X was a fool unless they needed to run a certain Mac program that was only on the Mac and could put up with the babystep limited OS.

Look I was a fool too and bought into the Newton hype and what a great machine it was. Apple stuck it to me as well.
Old 06 June 2002, 09:47   #4
Pyromania

FYI

From

http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/faq/index.html

What is Darwin?
Darwin is the advanced, UNIX-based operating system that is the foundation of Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server. Based on the Mach 3.0 kernel and an implementation of Berkeley Standard Distribution (BSD) 4.4
Old 06 June 2002, 12:11   #5
Fissuras
Old Luny

Some notes:
1) AFAIK, NextStep *was* based on Unix
2) Next acquisition was some kind of knowledge/culture transfer
3) Mac OS X is indeed based in a FreeBSD kernel (as was NextStep)
4) The kernel is named Darwin and... it is open source.

check http://developer.apple.com/darwin/history.html

"The evolution that successfully put a Unix engine under the Mac OS hood began with the acquisition of NeXT by Apple in December 1996. It came to fruition in Mac OS X, a completely rebuilt implementation of the Mac OS that, for the first time, combined Macintosh ease-of-use with the power and stability of Unix.
At the heart of Mac OS X one finds Darwin, an open source core that integrates a diverse collection of powerful technologies in a robust, flexible architecture. Darwin is like Linux (...)"

As Apple says, Darwin is *like* Linux... an open source Unix based kernel. Something MicroShit wouldn't like to be spread. That's what I think Frederic meant. "Shhh, silence, don't talk about it. It is not like Linux. Unix is not good, is evil, what a non sense... Mac os is based on NextStep for sure, a proprietary software, developed only by few iluminated people just as windowze, this is the way to go to assure quality"

edit: look what Apple says:

"Apple chose open source over the closed corporate approach for a number of reasons, both philosophical and practical. One of the most important practical reasons was the richer pool of talent made available by opening up the development process. Another was the superiority of the ultimate product, due both to the inherent virtues of the open source development paradigm and the ease of incorporating other open source technologies".

Old 06 June 2002, 12:54   #6
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Fissuras
Some notes:
1) AFAIK, NextStep *was* based on Unix
2) Next acquisition was some kind of knowledge/culture transfer
3) Mac OS X is indeed based in a FreeBSD kernel (as was NextStep)
4) The kernel is named Darwin and... it is open source.

check http://developer.apple.com/darwin/history.html

"The evolution that successfully put a Unix engine under the Mac OS hood began with the acquisition of NeXT by Apple in December 1996. It came to fruition in Mac OS X, a completely rebuilt implementation of the Mac OS that, for the first time, combined Macintosh ease-of-use with the power and stability of Unix.
At the heart of Mac OS X one finds Darwin, an open source core that integrates a diverse collection of powerful technologies in a robust, flexible architecture. Darwin is like Linux (...)"

As Apple says, Darwin is *like* Linux... an open source Unix based kernel. Something MicroShit wouldn't like to be spread. That's what I think Frederic meant. "Shhh, silence, don't talk about it. It is not like Linux. Unix is not good, is evil, what a non sense... Mac os is based on NextStep for sure, a proprietary software, developed only by few iluminated people just as windowze, this is the way to go to assure quality"

edit: look what Apple says:

"Apple chose open source over the closed corporate approach for a number of reasons, both philosophical and practical. One of the most important practical reasons was the richer pool of talent made available by opening up the development process. Another was the superiority of the ultimate product, due both to the inherent virtues of the open source development paradigm and the ease of incorporating other open source technologies".

All very true Fissuras. Apple did abandon lots of the NextStep stuff though. The UI for Mac OS X is very different from Next. Also as I mentioned Apple has totally abandoned Mac OS 9.1 because OS X is so much better. A few years back (before the return of Steve Jobs) lots of money was put into trying to upgrade the original Mac OS, this was called Copland. Copland was a nightmare and was going nowhere so Apple killed it. Mac Os 9.1 the OS that could not be updated, it was way worse than the Amiga OS, way worse.
Old 06 June 2002, 20:47   #7
jmmijo

I too have a MAC, well actually a MAC clone A Powercenter 150 by Power Computing. It's not a bad little machine actually. I got some extra ram for cheap and a copy of OS X, but can only install OS 9.x as this came with OS X as well

Somebody told me you could also install alternatives like *nix or even BeOS which I've toyed with. I suppose in some perverse way I could even run the MacUAE on it as well
Old 06 June 2002, 22:06   #8
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
I too have a MAC, well actually a MAC clone A Powercenter 150 by Power Computing. It's not a bad little machine actually. I got some extra ram for cheap and a copy of OS X, but can only install OS 9.x as this came with OS X as well

Somebody told me you could also install alternatives like *nix or even BeOS which I've toyed with. I suppose in some perverse way I could even run the MacUAE on it as well
It's too bad Steve Jobs killed the Mac clone market, he even stopped Motorola from making Mac clones! I never understood that one. It would be nice if you could run Mac OS X on the clones but I don't think there is a way to do it. You can run nix though and an older version of BeOS like you said jmmijo.
Old 06 June 2002, 23:19   #9
jmmijo

I just have to look around for the BeOS, I suppose since they went out of business, there are probably some mirrors out there that still have it
Old 07 June 2002, 08:12   #10
Pyromania

Quote:
I just have to look around for the BeOS, I suppose since they went out of business, there are probably some mirrors out there that still have it
Palm bought them for 11 million but many of the programmers and staff are now gone. You can still find BeOS for sale on the web or you can just download the free version @

http://www.bebits.com/app/2680

Please note this version of BeOS requires x86 CPUs. I don't think the version of BeOS for Mac hardware ever got past version 2 or 3 because Steve Jobs was withholding hardware ref. manuals from Be Inc.
Old 07 June 2002, 08:23   #11
jmmijo

Thanks for the link Pyro, so tell me, do you think that BeOS was about the closest thing to plagerizing the Amiga that any OS has done so far?

It looked like they stole a lot of the same things done with AmigaDOS and updated and made to look prettier
Old 07 June 2002, 10:41   #12
Pyromania

Quote:
Thanks for the link Pyro, so tell me, do you think that BeOS was about the closest thing to plagerizing the Amiga that any OS has done so far?

It looked like they stole a lot of the same things done with AmigaDOS and updated and made to look prettier
They gave it a shot but I disliked how the CEO tried to harvest the Amiga community. Be Inc. wanted to play up themselves as the next Amiga to get more users on their OS. The CEO even had an Amiga 96 license plate on his car, the nerve. In the end Be kept changing their business plan to often and never built up a big user base. First they were a hardware company (BeBox computer) then they were a alternate OS for the Mac, then they were an alternate OS for PC hardware. Make up your mind guys! Is BeOS better than Windows? Of course it is but where is their killer app, where is their Video Toaster or Pagestream 4.1 or ImageFX? I also heard that they almost got bought by Apple but Be wanted to much money, watch the greed people! Don't get me wrong I like BeOS, not as much as my Amigas but I do like it. But I asked myself the same question everyone did when they booted it up, what am I going to run on it? The OS I am looking forward to is Amiga OS 4.0.