English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 30 January 2013, 09:00   #61
Turran

So, tested with kickstart 3.1 as well. 3.0 did not work (constant reboots). I guess, make sure "version card.resource" says 40.1 before testing.

Both versions show the same signs, namely:

Start with no startup-sequence
LoadModule Devs:card.resourcev1
Restarts.

This is where it differs.

If I have a PCMCIA card in during boot, I get tons of recoverable alerts at
0100 000c 002DB4A8

If I click one million times on them, workbench eventually starts and I can see the CF card and 8 meg memory (I shouldn't normally. It works apparently).

When I restart with keyboard from there, I get a software failure and it reloads the 3.1 kickstart, bringing me back to card.resource 40.1
8100 000C Task: 002E9B88

Cold boot from here.

If I remove the PCMCIA card and restart with the new card.resource (41.1) loaded, all is well. I can then pop in the card and everything works. As long as I do not have the PCMCIA card in during boot, both versions work just fine, without any errors.

This should not have been possible if it did not work =) Pardon my icons. No custom rom maprommed so some libs are missing. If I do not load the new card.resource, the CF card does not show up.

Edit: I plugged a 2MB PCMCIA memory card in for fun. shouldnt work of course and it does not. Amiga just powercycles over and over. Ideal would have been to just ignore it, not restart =)

Last edited by Turran; 30 January 2013 at 09:11.
Old 30 January 2013, 13:10   #62
fgh

Great! Fixes for the recoverable alerts and reboots with sram would be nice, but if a CF works without errors when inserted after booting is completed, this is already very useful for such a configuration!

(I guess simply removing the CF from the PCMCIA-adapter before booting would also work, and be less stressful for the pcmcia connector)
Old 30 January 2013, 14:21   #63
Turran

Not something I'd use personally since I don't want to unplug my pcmcia network card between each boot, but yes. Shows it can be done.
Old 30 January 2013, 15:14   #64
kipper2k

I haven't had a chance to play with this yet, so basically are we saying that if i plug in my 8mb fastmem card, run the patch it should knock the ram down to 6mb and show the PCMCIA card so you can copy files to and from it?
Old 30 January 2013, 15:31   #65
fgh

Yes, but all the ram should remain. (Turran's startup used some ram, that's all)

Don Adan: Well done! Is a similar patch for 2.05 at all possible? (It also disables PCMCIA when there is more than 4mb z2-ram)
Old 30 January 2013, 15:34   #66
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
Yes, but all the ram should remain. (Turran's startup used some ram, that's all)

Don Adan: Well done! Is a similar patch for 2.05 at all possible? (It also disables PCMCIA when there is more than 4mb z2-ram)
thats great, now we should be able to get the benefit of the 8mb fastmem boards i have made for the A600 without the need to unplug etc
Old 30 January 2013, 18:20   #67
Don_Adan

Quote:
Great! Fixes for the recoverable alerts and reboots with sram would be nice, but if a CF works without errors when inserted after booting is completed, this is already very useful for such a configuration!

(I guess simply removing the CF from the PCMCIA-adapter before booting would also work, and be less stressful for the pcmcia connector)
You must create custom ROM or insert PCMCIA card after new card.device is loaded. If you insert card before new card.device is loaded, then old card.device is used first time and you have recoverable alerts or this is problem related to init routine.

Last edited by Don_Adan; 30 January 2013 at 18:28.
Old 30 January 2013, 18:27   #68
Don_Adan

Quote:

Yes, this is possible TaggedOpenLibrary call must be replaced with OpenLibrary call, but I don't want to create this. Anyway from my own test LoadModule don't works under ROM 3.0.
Old 30 January 2013, 19:51   #69
fgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
You must create custom ROM or insert PCMCIA card after new card.device is loaded.
If you insert card before new card.device is loaded, then old card.device is used first time and you have recoverable alerts or this is problem related to init routine.
Ok. This should be possible to confirm by inserting the card after booting, and then do a warm reset.
The patch should be resident, so if it still gives errors it should be the patched version producing them.. Turran?

Quote:
Yes, this is possible TaggedOpenLibrary call must be replaced with OpenLibrary call, but I don't want to create this.
Anyway from my own test LoadModule don't works under ROM 3.0.
Ok, good. Maybe someone else will have a go at it.

Loadmodule should work with 2.04 even, according to the readme, but I cannot confirm it.
Anyway ks3.0 does not disable the PCMCIA like 3.1, so there is no need for such a patch in that case.

Do you know if card.resource for a600 and a1200 ks3.1 are identical, so this patch should work on both?

Last edited by fgh; 30 January 2013 at 21:53. Reason: typo
Old 31 January 2013, 17:15   #70
Don_Adan

Quote:
Ok. This should be possible to confirm by inserting the card after booting, and then do a warm reset.
The patch should be resident, so if it still gives errors it should be the patched version producing them.. Turran?

Ok, good. Maybe someone else will have a go at it.

Loadmodule should work with 2.04 even, according to the readme, but I cannot confirm it.
Anyway ks3.0 does not disable the PCMCIA like 3.1, so there is no need for such a patch in that case.

Do you know if card.resource for a600 and a1200 ks3.1 are identical, so this patch should work on both?

Yes, card.resource from KS 3.1 are identical for A600 and A1200.

You can check cia.resource, if LoadModule works under ROM 2.04

Last edited by Don_Adan; 31 January 2013 at 18:19.
Old 31 January 2013, 19:33   #71
Turran

Quote:
You must create custom ROM or insert PCMCIA card after new card.device is loaded. If you insert card before new card.device is loaded, then old card.device is used first time and you have recoverable alerts or this is problem related to init routine.
Not really. I dont have any problems with the original card.device. The only thing that happens with it is that the PCMCIA slot is disabled.

The recoverable alerts only happens after I've loaded the new card.device and the computer automatically restarts. Also happen on manual restarts after that where the new card.resource is still loaded.

When I get the software failure though, the original card.resource is loaded back (40.1) and I get no more errors, but PCMCIA port is disabled again (of course).

I guess its something with the init routine then.

Edit:
"Ok. This should be possible to confirm by inserting the card after booting, and then do a warm reset."
Still recoverable alerts as soon as it tries to start up when I do:
No card in.
LoadModule devs:card.resourcev1 (same with v2)
Restart, let it boot. Boots fine.
Insert PCMCIA, it shows up fine.
Soft restart
1 million recoverable alerts.

I've tried a number of combinations but they all show the same thing. As soon as a new card.resource is loaded, a PCMCIA card can not be inserted at boot and/or reboot. A PCMCIA memory card can not be inserted at all (Amiga just reboots repeatedly with blinking power light. This is as expected though as you should not use PCMCIA memory cards with the new card.resource)

Last edited by Turran; 03 February 2013 at 17:45.
Old 05 February 2013, 20:02   #72
Don_Adan

You can check next versions, now auto init card is ignored, if more than 4MB of Z2 RAM is available, perhaps now it can works better.
Attached Files
File Type: lzx card.lzx (7.9 KB, 238 views)
Old 06 February 2013, 08:39   #73
Turran

Will do. Thanks Don.
Old 06 February 2013, 20:13   #74
Turran

Tested. This turned out to be worse I'm afraid. Both versions show almost the same symptoms.

Kickstart 3.1. 8Mb extra memory.

Amiga boots fine. Insert PCMCIA CF card. Nothing happens (as expected. PCMCIA is turned off at 8Mb memory).

Leave PCMCIA card in, load cardresource3 or 4, amiga restarts and powerlight starts to blink. Comes up with a Software Failure.
Possible codes:
8100 000C - 003E1D60
8000 0003 - 00292710
8000 000B - 003C6110

After 2 reboots, it loads, but its back to original card.resource version.

Power off Amiga. Turn back on. Leave PCMCIA card out.
This is where it differs a bit.

cardresourcev3 = loadmodule. Amiga restarts. Insert PCMCIA card. Icon for the card pops up on the workbench for a split second, but not the title. Amiga reboots with one of the above software failures right after the icon pops up.

cardresourcev4 = loadmodule, Amiga restarts, Insert PCMCIA card, Amiga hangs instantly. Does not recover.
Old 15 April 2013, 04:22   #75
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
You can check next versions, now auto init card is ignored, if more than 4MB of Z2 RAM is available, perhaps now it can works better.
I tested this patch and works correctly on my Tra1200 turboboard +8mb ram
I tested only card.resourcev4
but please note I have roms 3.0 in the A1200....so basically I don't need it
anyways

I softkicked to rom 3.1 using SKICK...then of course PCMCIA is not available anymore
then I used: loadmodule card.resourcev4
and that's all...in the next reboot PCMCIA is available again and working perfect
Old 05 July 2013, 11:44   #76
zharn

wbfind and wbtag how do these work or do?

just updating my kickstart.

Thanks, all working good so far
Old 05 July 2013, 15:53   #77
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

wbfind is a module that is used only in case your 512KB ROM doesn't fit the modules you want, so you leave out the workbench.library which is big putting it in Libs:

Wbfind tells the OS to seek Workbench.library from Libs folder instead. Only usable in 3.0 and 3.1 as OS3.9 doesn't require this modules to seek into Libs:

Wbtag is the wbtask module in the kickstart. It's just an updated version by DonAdan which can be used instead of the original.
Old 18 October 2013, 18:15   #78
Don_Adan

Especially for Ratte, all in one version of mathieeesingbas.library is available for tests.
Recompiled using Super Brain Motorola Recompilator V1.0.
Thanks to mcoder, Matt Hey and Cholok for help.

BTW. Here is the link to better cardres:
http://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.ph...2&postcount=75
Old 22 October 2013, 14:55   #79
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Working ok so far with the new mathieeesingbas.library \o/
Thanks for these versions man. Will report if I find anything working weird
Old 22 October 2013, 23:05   #80
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Recompiled using Super Brain Motorola Recompilator V1.0.
What's that? Kamelito