English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 January 2005, 02:45   #41
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
The only reason you didn't find these games on the Amiga is because of copyright issues. (regaring Sonic/Mario)
The only reason why is because of the excellant business practices of Sega/Nintendo.

If Sonic/Mario had been produced (and the license owned) by any independant company they would have found their way onto the Amiga.

Why should they give the competition their games, especially when these games were responsible for selling so many of their consoles ?

I knew many Amiga owning friends who bought Megadrives just for Sonic.

Old 26 January 2005, 03:07   #42
StarEye
Zone Friend

And I knew many people who owned a NES/SNES or Megadrive and dreamed about an amiga, but couldn't afford it. It goes both ways.
Old 26 January 2005, 04:46   #43
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Well
going off-topic

the shoot'em up system is the PC-Engine. No other system has as many shoot'em ups as this little beast.

And in 2nd comes the MSX, with another huge library of this genre.

Saturn, Dreamcast and Mega-Drive are the other contenders

I think James Pond 2, Ruff 'n' Tumble, Arabian Nights and Soccer Kid are games that are in the same league of quality that is both Sonic and Mario (Though both James Pond 2 and Soccer Kid ara available on other systems). I'd even say that Ruff 'n' Tumble is better than most Mario games... (I am more a Sonic man than Mario)
And there's NOTHING like Benefactor on consoles, which is one the finest platform games ever.
Old 26 January 2005, 05:35   #44
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
The only reason why is because of the excellant business practices of Sega/Nintendo.
Sorry but no, the Sonic games appeared later in the PC platform, just because that's where the money was at. If the Amiga had survived up to then, they probably would have ported it if the money was there... Obviously back then the Amiga was a direct competition so porting Sonic to the Amiga would have been stupid.

I always wanted a Genesis just for Sonic 2. That game sold me ocmpletely. It's still one of my fave Genesis games ever, and IMo, the finest platformer in existance. Second place probably shared by Sonic 1 and Yoshi's Island.
Old 26 January 2005, 09:06   #45
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Then you haven't used it as much as I. Shmup saturation is one of the things that pushed the Megadrive into death. There were as many shmups as you had platformers in the Amiga. There weren't that many arcade conversions done either, dunno where you take tihs from. And since when "coin op conversions" is a genre?
Got to love your assumptions Akira. I did have a megadrive when very few people had access to one (you were probably a bit young when it was released to remember the majority of its games). And when I say " Megardive was the favourite console for coin op conversions. It had everything, platforms, beat em ups, shoot em ups etc." you end up with a comment like "And since when "coin op conversions" is a genre?". The strenght of Megadrive was Sega. Sega had knowledge of developing coin op games, and they saw Megadrive as the perfect console to bring coin ops to the houses. They made endless conversions from their arcade machines. The ideal console back then for Shoot em ups was the PC Engine where 1/2 games was a shoot em up. Megadrive was the ideal all-around console.

Quote:
And the fact that it was not really good at 3D does not mean it should fail.
This is not a fact. This is an assumption. Sega didn't provide the libraries that developers wanted. They gave them hardware manuals. To develop properly for Saturn and take it to the extreme, you had to know the hardware. As a result, 1 out of the 2 CPUs was not used. Developers wanted to program in C, fairly easy and quickly. This is why the Playstation ruled. Had one CPU that had the power of the 2 CPUs in Saturn. Programming for 2 CPUs in mid-90s was only for romantic developers.
Old 27 January 2005, 15:37   #46
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Lightbulb

Gotta agree with the arcade platform/shoot & run voters re the Amiga's "strongest" area-though very few machines had the all-round ability that the Amiga's technology allowed it to extend to 3D, adventure gaming, RPG's, strategy etc. as the market changed from 8bit to 16bit computers, then to console/PC etc.

Whilst full support to Turrican,Rough & Tumble, Robocod etc., what about Flashback & Another World?

Going O/T I know, but If we wanted to talk about commercial success though, then the green haired little DMA guys will probably still be regarded as the Amiga's greatest gaming success.
Old 27 January 2005, 19:36   #47
Titler
Zone Friend

The Amiga's Best Genre? It didn't have one... The Amiga should be remembered for it's redefining of Genres. Whilst the 8 bit machines had some truly classic, original concepts, it was the coming of 16 bit hardware which really allowed programmers to be truly creative. Simply put, for it's time, the Amiga had the best examples of every genre programmed for it... It was a games machine par excellance. Cinemaware sat next to the Bitmap Bros sat next to Sensible Software sat next to... gosh, there was just so much that was incredible about the machine, that it's impossible to accurately sum it up in one single way. What ever you liked, you could find it executed in both a fresh and impressive way somewhere on the Amiga... perhaps that's partly due to the widespread piracy, which allowed everyone to have enormous software collections, where as today the minor, or too original for the mass market gems would be harder to find... but still, there was something impressive about the depth of the Amiga range of titles, which I've not seen on any system since. Or perhaps I'm just being hopelessly nostalgic!
Old 28 January 2005, 02:42   #48
oldpx

Still "best" genre is a bad definition. What is "best"? Most successful one? In which terms? The one with most rememberance? With what reason? More thought should have been spent on this question, people replying try to solve the question itself.

Old 28 January 2005, 09:32   #49
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I think the original post said all it needed to. Im not after a scientific formula, just opinions. 'Best' can mean whatever you interpret it to mean.

Example of what I consider consoles/computers best genres:

Neo Geo= Beat em Ups
Dreamcast= shmup
PC= First Person Shooter

Pretty simple really.
Old 28 January 2005, 10:04   #50
Medvind

All of us probably like totally different games/genres and remembers the Amiga for totally different reasons, and like many already have stated, this is why the Amiga was so great. I myself remember the Amiga for it's point-and-click graphical adventures (Lucasarts held this genre by its tail). I played NES/SNES for platform action (don't really care much about that genre though.)

So the Amiga is different things to different people. I rarely played platform games on it, like most of you seem to have done.
Old 28 January 2005, 10:11   #51
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Well you don't have to like a genre to agree a machine is better at it then anothers of its time (that is more a function of hardware and how easy it is to program that hardware).
Old 28 January 2005, 12:38   #52
Jaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicx
I wouldn't classify Megadrive as a shemups console. Megardive was the favourite console for coin op conversions. It had everything, platforms, beat em ups, shoot em ups etc. And don't forget that Sega had Sonic as a mascot, a character appearing in platform games. If you want to speak about the absolute console for shoot em ups, then this is the Saturn.
The definitive console for SCHUMPs is the PC Engine / Duo.

Old 28 January 2005, 14:14   #53
manicx

Volume wise it may be. Volume wise/quality it's nae!
Old 28 January 2005, 17:31   #54
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz
The definitive console for SCHUMPs is the PC Engine / Duo.
It's SHMUPS. Where do you get the C from???
SHoot'eM UPS!!!

If we take into account the good quality of them, PCEngine it isit is. But volume wise it's the Megadrive.

manicx needs to visit www.shmups.com . Volume/Quality relation of PCE shooters worse than on Genesis? Give me a bloody break!
Old 29 January 2005, 13:35   #55
Jaz

Quote:
SHoot'eM UPS!!!
Erm, too much beer before posting

Last edited by Paul; 29 January 2005 at 19:47. Reason: fixed QUOTE tag

Old 31 January 2005, 09:03   #56
manicx

Quote:
SHoot'eM UPS!!!

If we take into account the good quality of them, PCEngine it isit is. But volume wise it's the Megadrive.

manicx needs to visit www.shmups.com . Volume/Quality relation of PCE shooters worse than on Genesis? Give me a bloody break!
Quote:
I'd also like to welcome Akira along as co-owner of the site, together we will be providing you with the very best shmup reviews ever, a definitive listing of shmups on all platforms, great links to other shmup sites and lastly - the forum. In there you can join in the shmups main chat for news, views and lots of varied and occasionally heated shmup discussions, post your hi-scores, and also trade shmups.
Sorry Akira but I prefer to use references than none of us two are involved. In any case, I have played and seen more shoot em ups in the PC Engine than in Megardrive. Bear in mind that the PC Engine was mainly a console with big success ib the Japanese market so if you visit any Japanese site with regard to PC Engine and the games, you'll be surprised by the amount of shooters for this console.
Old 31 January 2005, 13:18   #57
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicx
Sorry Akira but I prefer to use references than none of us two are involved.
Who says otherwise? but you regarded them all as apoo.

The ammount of shmups on the Megadrive is the same or much more. Just check our database, for christ's sake. Just ask anyone who's site is the definitive shmups site, if you do not trust our credibility.
Old 31 January 2005, 13:46   #58
MSC
Zone Friend

Back on topic..........

Cody hit the nail on the head - A great all rounder. My personal favs were sports and platformers. I have lost countless hours of my life playing Sensi and Goal and still do, along with PGA golf. As for platformers, there is only one for me, Rainbow Islands. IMO one of the best games ever on any platform. The missus is also a big platform fan. Addams family, Superfrog, PP hammer are among her favs. Yet she HATES Rainbow Islands. For whatever reason, she does not like that game. Which just goes to show how different peoples opinions can be when it comes to choosing favourite games.

I am sure that there would be a platformer in the top 10 games, but which one would be anybodys guess, which sums up the strength of the games released for Amiga.
Old 17 February 2005, 12:27   #59
ST Dragon

I think AMIGAs best genre were Shoot Em Ups.
It might not have the best quality Shmups, but it had the most. More than any other console or computer, even than PCE & Saturn

Apidya
Agony
Area 88
Armalyte
Battle Squadron
Banshee
Blood Money
Apache
Apache T-17
Cardiaxx
Disposable Hero
Katakis
Project X
Project X SE
R-Type
R-Type II
Saint Dragon
Stardust
Super Stardust AGA
Sonic Boom
Swiv
Uridium 2
X-Out
Z-Out

Can’t think of any more…?

The best quality Shmups are for the Saturn & even though it has been over looked, the PSX had quite a lot of Shmups, more than Genesis & SNES put together, especially in Japan.

Any link with a list of all A500/1200 shmups?