English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 22 August 2002, 00:36   #1
Unregistered

help needed desperately

hello all,

i have this problem that i can't get any amiga game to run. i downloaded the latest winuae version, and i also have kickroms 1.3, 3.1, and 3.5. i used winuae to make a virtual hd. just recently i downloaded a bunch of games, but none work. on few occasions i managed to get to a screen with the game info (a trainer of some kind or something) and that's it.
i'd really appreciate it if somebody could give me sort of "detailed" instructions on what exactly i have to do

thank you

Old 22 August 2002, 00:41   #2
Unregistered

help needed desparately: follow up

sorry, i forgot my specs

PIII 733
20Gb HD
128Mb ram
Asus MoBo
GeForce 2 MX 400 64 Mb

Old 22 August 2002, 01:09   #3
Djay
95th User

ok, before to add a virtual HD to the mix, just go with making WinUAE with disks first...

for a quick basic guide go here...
http://www.amiga.ukhq.co.uk/guide.htm

if your using WinUAE in windowed mode, make sure you have WinUAE selected (click on the title bar with left mouse button(LMB)),

if you see a trainer screen, you'll probably need to press the LMB or the RMB, this may need to done a few times.. also try pressing the ESC, SPACE BAR and RETURN keys to continue...

---

if anyone has my Setup Guide, which was in the Zone, can they upload it as i can't ?!?!?!?

---
Old 22 August 2002, 03:57   #4
Amiga1992

Moved the thread to a better suited forum (but left a redirectioner so the unregistered person doesn't get lost )
Old 22 August 2002, 18:49   #5
Unregistered

Thumbs up

thanks for the tips.
anyway, i read a post here about the "amiga for idiots" (AIAB), downloaded it, and i've managed to get most of the games i have to work. pretty cool, eh
i just have one question. is it possible to run aiab with the HD-games config (loads the workbench), and add a link or something to drive a: (floppy), as in windows\my computer ?

"unregistered"
i just didn't have time to through the signup process. i'm kinda sick of having to sign up at every second site

Old 22 August 2002, 18:53   #6
Unregistered

i now it's probably because i'm a newbie to the amiga, but i have to say it looks damn complicated.

the funniest thing i saw was last night when i was installing the latest whdload. the install program game me two options:
1. install (i think it was a phrase, can't remember)
2. pretend to install

Old 22 August 2002, 19:26   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

i just have one question. is it possible to run aiab with the HD-games config (loads the workbench), and add a link or something to drive a: (floppy), as in windows\my computer ?
you can mount ALL your PC drives. Just make sure you have checked the "Mount PC drives at startup" box. If you have a disk in it the drive will work. Why would you do this, I have no clue, but you can do it anyway

BTW, about installer: I think the "Pretend to install" option goes something like this: if the install fails in the middle of the session, it would clean all traces of what it has installed. if you choose Install for Real, and the install procedure fails, all the files that were installed so far remain there.

At least I think this is what it is for, I could be very wrong
Old 23 August 2002, 00:14   #8
Unregistered

"Pretend to install" just sets some assigns to make the app/game run without installing it, doesn't it?
I actually think, this is not funny, but very cool.

Old 23 August 2002, 01:55   #9
blackcornflake

'Pretend to Install' is cool, indeed. It installs nothing, assigns nothing. It is there so you can perform a theoretical install, and therefore see where files might be placed on your nice, clean Amiga HD.

So different from the automated Windoze style installers that dump stuff wherever they like.

Tip: Always install in 'Expert' mode. Total control that way.
Old 23 August 2002, 04:51   #10
Amiga1992

Hah, so that's what it really is for....

Expert mode can be a pain in the arse sometimes. You have to confirm every damned file that is going to be copied! With proggies with lots of files, I tend to preffer Intermediate. Beginner sucks.

Installer is a great tool!
Old 23 August 2002, 15:26   #11
Unregistered

about a: drive, i just thought i'd be cool having everything organized kinda windoze style (my computer/drives).

what are cd32 games, and how do you get them to work. i tried ufo - enemy unknown cd32 with no success (some fakepad error).

i figured ecs/aga are something like the old vga/svga on pc, or something similar, but what about cd32. cd games?

Old 23 August 2002, 17:02   #12
Amiga1992

CD32 is a cd-based console pretty similar to an A1200 (but with a CD drive bolted on of courze)

ECS and AGA (and OCS) are different chipsets. Mainly graphic.
Old 24 August 2002, 12:26   #13
madduck

Re: help needed desparately: follow up

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
sorry, i forgot my specs

PIII 733
20Gb HD
128Mb ram
Asus MoBo
GeForce 2 MX 400 64 Mb
can you visit this thread I'm havingg problems with my GeForce 2 MX 400 64mb so may be you can help