English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 07 May 2019, 18:40   #1
FromWithin
Music lord

OS4.1FE installation stops

I bought OS4.1FE years ago and am trying to install in WinUAE. I'm using the latest version.

I'm installing the OS to a folder, although I tried to a hard file and that didn't work either.

I boot into OS3.1, then run the relevant Boot_from_os3.x command. It reboots and starts the installer from the iso file. Language and all that can be configured okay. Then I go to actually do the install. It start copying files, and then at a random point just stops. My last attempt has stopped at 3%. WinUAE hasn't hung or crashed. The info panel at the top of the installation window continues to cycle bits of information and, the install window can be moved around, the screen can be dragged up and down. But it just sits there not copying any more files. I've left it for over an hour now and it's still on 3% / "8SVX".

Am I missing something or is there a bug somewhere?

Last edited by FromWithin; 07 May 2019 at 19:37.
Old 07 May 2019, 21:54   #2
thomas

How did you add the CD ROM to the config? Do not add it as a directory. The CD contains files which are not allowed in Windows, like AUX for example. Add it as an emulated CD drive, then it works.

Why did you need to boot into OS 3.1? The CSPPC can boot from the CD. If you connect the emulated CD drive to the CSPPC's SCSI bus and enable CD boot in the firmware menu, you get both, a properly emulated CD drive and no need for 3.1.

Press Esc when the screen is still black to enter the firmware menu. Enable one second delay on the Misc page to get more time.
Old 08 May 2019, 01:52   #3
FromWithin
Music lord

The CD is an iso added via the cyberstorm scsi.

It wouldn't boot from it. I've had a screen that is half blue and half a black and white pattern, and a static green screen. So I added a WB3 drive and booted from that. The CD appears on the Workbench where I can execute the Boot_from_os3.x icon and then it boots from CD after restarting itself.

Last edited by FromWithin; 08 May 2019 at 02:08.
Old 08 May 2019, 04:18   #4
Saghalie

Log files or it didn't happen.

Also, you cannot install the OS to a folder. You have to use a hardfile.

Last edited by Saghalie; 08 May 2019 at 04:24.
Old 08 May 2019, 12:49   #5
Tomislav

Did you selected CD image in "CD drive/image"? If you did press "Select SCSI/IDE CD Drive" button, select CD image in list, then for "HD Controller" select "Accelerator (CyberStorm PPC)" unit "1".
Old 08 May 2019, 17:03   #6
FromWithin
Music lord

I just started the whole thing again from scratch.

I created the config for a 4000 + Cybervision, added a new empty 8GB HD dynamic file, added the CD through the CSPPC SCSI (in the way that Tomislav asked about, but on unit 0 because on unit 1 it just gave a guru meditation every restart and wouldn't bring up the CSPPC menu), increased the CD boot priority in the CS boot menu. After a few hangs and crashes, a load of sitting waiting for "Not Responding" messages to go away, even a random guru meditation on a few reboots, it booted directly from the CD and came up with the installer.

I set the language options, added the new hard disk and partitioned it, quick formatted it, and the install began to copy files.

And then it stopped. Like it always does. This time it's stuck at 0% / DeleteNetRoute. Once again, the emulation is still running and I can still interact with the window, but copying has stopped.

Last edited by FromWithin; 08 May 2019 at 17:45.
Old 08 May 2019, 18:36   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

I'm attaching my Config. You just have to add it:

- Recent version WinUAE
- Your HardFile
- Your ISO-CD
- Floppy "OS41 Boot" (you can find it on the OS 4.1 CD)

In my config it updates the various paths ROM, PlugIn etc..

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 25 May 2019 at 16:43.
Old 08 May 2019, 18:45   #8
Saghalie

This is the document I've written for OS4FE Installations:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Am9nRCGb_XSzpSWr9v1L8PS4YUTr

Hope this helps
Old 08 May 2019, 22:02   #9
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saghalie View Post
Also, you cannot install the OS to a folder.
You can. Toni added a new way to use UAE hardware which works with OS4. It supports folders as well as uaegfx. It's rather slow, though.
Old 10 May 2019, 11:13   #10
FromWithin
Music lord

I finally got there after many more crashes, hangs, and restarts. I know have a working OS4.1 on a hard file, so thanks to everyeone. I tried AMIGASYSTEM's config and following Saghalie's guide (which has an error on the page where you enter the FileSystem ID; I ended up skipping it in the end).

As far as I can tell, it was mostly something to do with the hard disk. I created a new statically-sized hard file and that seemed to stop most of the problems. The dynamic one that I was trying to use brought up all sorts of weird things like the Guru Meditation I was having, like the specified FileSystem in HD Toolbox disappearing, appearing in HD Toolbox, but not the Format program.

Last edited by FromWithin; 10 May 2019 at 19:03.
Old 10 May 2019, 11:26   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You probably forgot to tick RDB mode. Dynamic or not won't make any difference.
Old 10 May 2019, 16:26   #12
White

I tried the same type of operation with the creation of a dynamic file to try I get the same result as @FromWithin (guru-meditation-red)
Only by specifying the exact cylinders for example
in this case of 2gigabyte (2000)
I get an exact and working dynamic file.
Even if I never use a dynamic file,
Not specifying the exact cylinders I get a guru-meditation (red)
Old 10 May 2019, 16:49   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It still sounds like you are not enabling RDB mode because RDB mode automatically sets those values..

And those values are irrelevant if mounted in CSPPC SCSI.
Old 11 May 2019, 07:41   #14
White

@Toni
thank you for your suggestion
now works

now the size of the .vhd file is correct, and it allocates space dynamically

Last edited by White; 11 May 2019 at 08:27.
Old 11 May 2019, 10:09   #15
White

Here the video for the creation of a dynamic 4 gigabyte .vhd
for simplicity it is based on picasso IV with the last beta of winuae 4210 beta 4 with amigaos4.1 FE with sfs/02 filesystem
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 May 2019, 19:27   #16
Saghalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromWithin View Post
Saghalie's guide (which has an error on the page where you enter the FileSystem ID; I ended up skipping it in the end).
Thanks for pointing that out! It is now correct; although the image showed the
correct number.
Old 11 May 2019, 19:29   #17
Saghalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You can. Toni added a new way to use UAE hardware which works with OS4. It supports folders as well as uaegfx. It's rather slow, though.
Thanks. I forgot about that.
Old 12 May 2019, 04:12   #18
AC/DC HACKER!

Reading through this...I wasn't aware there was a problem installing OS 4 to a Windows 7 (or other) filesystem. So, I decided to check. I usually use .HF... Everything goes fine until the Fonts part near the end. The first time I did it I used a directory on my SSD.. That became stuck on the Fonts part, and I let it sit for a while. Wouldn't finish.

I did it again, but this time changing the location onto a normal SATA drive (not SSD). But changed the directory name to Workbench4, and took longer than a HF, but it did succeed...with an output window about Fonts being in use....then the Next button was available.

So, leaving that dir so I may boot from it soon to check that, I decided to create the directory again on the SSD. This time, using Workbench4 as the directory name. It stopped 29% through. Not crashed, mouse is still active..so is F12. But progress is not moving. Hmm... Perhaps a bug writing to SSDs?!?! It's not a big deal to me since I much prefer HF. Toni, if you want logs...I'll provide.

Edit 1: Seems there's a length in directory name problem? When I went back to the SSD I noticed the problem was gone. So I decided to revert the directory name back to OS4. Install stuck at fonts..without any Output window. Reset. Renamed to OS44. Same thing. Reset. Renamed to OS444 and and the Fonts part it gave the output window and and Font in use info....line by line.

Edit 2: Directory name for Windows 7..doesn't matter. I figured that but.. So, checking... Volume Settings: change Device Name: from being blank. Volume from blank to something. RDB type changes don't seem to matter. Nothing is literally random, so.. Hmm..I'm missing something. Well, I'm not going to conclude anything. I'm really tired.. Maybe I'll check more later.

Using WinUAE 4.2.1 PB 3.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 12 May 2019 at 07:11.
Old 12 May 2019, 09:12   #19
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is simply randomly unreliable, especially if many UAE expansions are actively accessed at the same time. You can also try installing to HDF normally and then manually copy everything to directory harddrive.
Old 12 May 2019, 09:16   #20
White

@AC/DC HACKER!
I had run this test with a windows 7 directory it installs without problems including the update1.
An installation lock has never occurred
Just pay attention to the windows bin where you will find fonts and other files.
Before using winuae again with 4.1 just choose restore file in the directory used for installation.
I believe however that these problems can occur later when you start installing applications to better use the system.
Although I see no advantage in using this option.

Currently I have not done any test with an ssd disk at the moment I am still configuring windows 10 and honestly you have to disable many options etc.
Ok this is a different matter :-)

I use the cd-rom ide option instead of cyberstorm in this case.
I don't know if it's important

Last edited by White; 12 May 2019 at 09:27.