English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 June 2012, 20:06   #1
Mr B

Floppy drive died?

What is the expected behavior if the floppy cable is connected in the wrong way? I haven't decided if i messed something up, or if the drive died.
Drive doesn't seam to "seek" on the new floppies as they are put in, and anything put in to the drive is detected, and displayed as a not readable format. (DF0:???)
I'm hoping i turned the cable the wrong way, but i don't quite dare to turn it around and test. On the PC the cable can go either which way, it works, or, if the wrong way, it doesn't, and you just have to figure out what IS the right way... Is the Amiga as forgiving?

Last edited by Mr B; 26 June 2012 at 23:22. Reason: Old habits die hard...
Old 26 June 2012, 21:15   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

You'll be relieved to know that your Amiga floppy drive will be none the worse for having been powered up with the data cable connected the wrong way round.

If your drive is not working correctly now, there must be another cause.
Old 26 June 2012, 23:27   #3
Mr B

So, much as i suspected, it was safe to flip the cable aroud, and also much as i expected, it made things worse, not better. Drive doesn't detect the disc when the cable is flipped the wrong way, so it was right to start with. I'm going to have to pull the drive out, and see if i can "see" anything, but the noise when it "eats" the drive isn't there, you put in the floppy it goes "Click" and the "Ssssclick" isn't there. I must have managed to kill it when pulling it of to route the cable for the indivision. It's not like i use it, so it can very well have been dead for "some time".

Ok, thanks, a lot. I'll see what i can figure out, and then i might have to start looking for a new drive.
Old 26 June 2012, 23:32   #4
cpiac64

invert the cable don't break the drive, but delete the floppy.

df0:??? is for cable rotate or drive with micro switch to clean
Old 27 June 2012, 03:08   #5
Mr B

Well, as i said, i'll have to look at it, but what ever engine activity that is supposed to make the "Ssssclick" noise, it just ain't happening. And something sure recognizes that there is a disc in the drive, it's just not getting read. *shrugs*
For now, it's a mystery. Any advices about what to look at when i get around to it, would probably be helpful. It's not like i have a habit of opening floppydrives up. I usually just chuck em, and stick a new in it's place. Or cover the slot with a faceplate. Not really an option this time.

I'm currently fiddling with ClassicWB, getting everything up to speed, trying to get the Amiga ready for when ever Jens gets the configuration software for the indivision finalized... I don't care if it's a great summer day, and all the broads in town is at the nudie beach, i'm going to be ready, and will sit here playing with my self... No, not that way. The Amiga way, of course. I have no idea where you got that other stuff from.
Old 13 July 2012, 00:46   #6
Mr B

Um. Spooky things are Amiga. Or is it the other way around. Anyway, the floppy now works. I THINK it has to do with how it's tighten down, but i don't really know why. I gave up on trying to figure it out, and decided not to touch the darn thing again for as long as it's working. And then i see something out of the corner of my eye. The backplate that is to be cut, and fitted to the Indivision MKII connector. Bloody hell, i'm going to have to do it all over again...

Anyways, it seams the floppies, and the drive is all fine. Well, "fine" is debatable, i would actually prefer to be able to tighten it down properly, and not just have the screws slightly lose, preventing the drive from going anywhere. But it's staying put, and if i see a "cheap" drive i just might snag it to have a backup.

Thank you everyone who took interest.
Old 13 July 2012, 05:01   #7
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

Don't worry about your drive, as it has happened to me before..

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=49504 (post 2)

Try using a spring / split washer between the motherboard and bracket and you should be fine.
Old 13 July 2012, 11:08   #8
Mr B

So not a first then. I'll add a second washer to the bracket, and see if it helps, when i go back in, to install the Indivision backplate thingy.

Thanks.