English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 07 June 2008, 21:01   #21
amiga

@Groundhog:

Have u selected "Windows Mouse" (Port 0) in "Game & I/O ports" of WinUAE settings ??
Old 08 June 2008, 11:17   #22
Groundhog

@Tony:

Do you have this problem only when VSync is on or all the time ?

Edit: Forget it, I read your other post. That seems even more serious than my problem...

@amiga:

Of course I tried that, but with no luck. BTW, "Amiga", I hope that you don't hold a grudge towards me since I sold you.

Last edited by Groundhog; 08 June 2008 at 11:29.
Old 08 June 2008, 11:35   #23
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

@Groundhog:

I always have the lag it's just worse with vsync logically.

But In most games you wouldn t notice it much. Only some games need a very quick response.

I read some LCD screen have a lag in the display. Some poeple complained not being able to play games like Punch-Out on WII virtual consol and the screen was to blame.

I am using a Sony trinitron and Punch out is fine
Old 08 June 2008, 11:57   #24
Groundhog

So you think it's related to the LCD screen ?

Well, I have a Samsung SyncMaster 913N, so if anybody have the same screen & problem as Tony or me, please report it here. Thanks !
Old 08 June 2008, 13:06   #25
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

I don t know but I was surprised reading some LCD screen had some ¨delay¨ in displaying.
Maybe it s your case
best way to find out is trying another screen or another application.
Old 23 July 2008, 11:24   #26
Leffmann

Has anyone been able to resolve this? I experience delays in the mouse movement as well.

Important to note here that mouse clicks respond immediately inside the emulation and it's only the movement data which is delayed by 1/10th of a second or so, and so this shouldn't be related to graphics or your display in any way. I'm guessing these problems might have to do with too lengthy input buffers in UAE or in Windows, or the cumulated effect from both.

If anyone knows how to resolve this I'd appreciate it, as it greatly lowers the whole feel of the emulation.

EDIT: I've noticed that when I detach the Windows pointer from WinUAE, the Amiga pointer becomes responsive. The delay appears only when I click in the emulation window to hide the Windows pointer.
Old 23 July 2008, 12:07   #27
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Tried adjusting priority? (see above)
Tried switching mouse type? (ports-panel)
Old 23 July 2008, 13:06   #28
Leffmann

Ok, long reply:

Adjusting priority had no effect. I have a fast computer and with no other apps running, WinUAE seems to get all the available time slices in any case.

The "Windows Mouse" mouse type was the only one showing different behavior, and it's completely unusable on my system. It displays an accelerating movement behavior as if the way I move my mouse controls a movement delta instead of updating the mouse counters directly.

Setting Windows mouse acceleration on and off changed the way Windows Mouse setting worked into a more smooth and tight motion, but still no change in responsiveness or usability.

Is there an input buffer in UAE which is "feeding" the joydat/potdat registers? If so it seems the read-ahead is simply too large, and this causes the delay.

I think that updating the counters in the same way the buttons are updated should remove this latency. One update of the counters for every register read, or even once per emulated scanline (provided Direct Input or the WinAPI itself can give these many samples per second) would be great.

EDIT: I forgot to try the Mouse Hack setting. With this I get the Amiga pointer directly under the Windows pointer when detached, and here I can clearly see a delay in position when moving the pointer around. Again it's important to point out that button clicks respond immediately, it's ONLY the movement which is delayed.

Last edited by Leffmann; 23 July 2008 at 13:16.
Old 23 July 2008, 13:27   #29
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Buttons and movement are read in same loop, at least once per emulated frame.
Old 23 July 2008, 14:12   #30
Leffmann

The problem must be in Windows itself then (no surprise there), and I can recall seeing the same problems with mouse movement delay in some games, varying from one computer to another. I still hope it's possible to get the input in another way to get responsiveness on all Windows systems.
Old 28 July 2008, 18:32   #31
NoX1911

Maybe it is original amiga behavior. Someone with a real amiga should compare side by side. May only affect slow amigas (A500/A1000/A2000/...).
Old 29 July 2008, 11:45   #32
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

This is getting confusing and it is because there are different problems listed in this thread.

Original problem was about having delay in Vsync modes only. (which afaik is windows/mouse driver issue because some display drivers busy wait for vsync..)