English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 13 July 2004, 01:12   #1
NunoLuz

I got my third Amiga today, but I need help!

Indeed I received my thid ever Amiga today, after my first A500 my second A1200HD, I have now bought from Computer City a brand new A1200 with 260HD!!

I sudenly felt the urge to come back to my roots...

Only I am encoutering some problems: I have also got Amiga Forever and have sucessfuly conected my PC and A1200 through null modem cable.

I am now able to see and copy files from and to my Amiga.

My problem is the following: I have an old Amiga Format CD loaded with games and apps, only they are all in LHA or HD instalable, and because my knowledge from amiga technology has faded and not been updated for much time I would like to know how to install those games on my Amiga's hard drive.

Thank you so much for your help and attention fellow Amigans!!

Regards,

Old 13 July 2004, 01:19   #2
RetroMan

For LHA : have a look for LHA.RUN on Aminet, copy it over to your Amiga, together with the LHA file you want to extract ...... run lha.run (self extracting file) ! Now you can use LHA to extract the LHA archives you want
Old 13 July 2004, 01:44   #3
NunoLuz

Hi there RetroMan!

Thanks for your help, I have allready downloaded and installed LHA on my Amiga, one question though: I dont have any CD-Roms conected to my Amiga and so I am trying to copy the files from the PC to the Amiga is this ok to do??

Thanks again!

Old 13 July 2004, 09:48   #4
Magix
calm down do how.

Send a message via ICQ to Magix
You can connect your AmigaHDD to your IBM-PC and you can reach it via WinUAE. And then you can do what you want.
Old 13 July 2004, 15:57   #5
NunoLuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magix
You can connect your AmigaHDD to your IBM-PC and you can reach it via WinUAE. And then you can do what you want.
By that you mean I have to open the Amiga? Or can it be done through Amiga Forever?

I am a bit reluctant on opening the amiga because I would loose warranty.

I am able to copy files from my PC to the Amiga ( a bit slow because its serial ).

Now its the installing .lha games that I am not being able.

Some .lh archives need the original game and some others just wont install at all after I extract them.

I also have Monkey Island 2 and have installed it to hd, but when I start the game the graphics get all fuzzy..

Same thing happened to Flashback when I copied it from my workbench disk to my work disk, at first it worked just fine (on workbench) and after when I copied it to Work it just got weird just like monkey island 2..

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks!!

Nuno

Old 13 July 2004, 16:34   #6
Magix
calm down do how.

Send a message via ICQ to Magix
Quote:
By that you mean I have to open the Amiga? Or can it be done through Amiga Forever?

I am a bit reluctant on opening the amiga because I would loose warranty.

I am able to copy files from my PC to the Amiga ( a bit slow because its serial ).
Yes, I mean that. But sure, you'll lose warranty. Indeed, Amiga Forever can help you, but it's slow, you have known that already.
So your problem isn't transfer.
Old 13 July 2004, 20:10   #7
oldpx

An amiga with a warranty! Does it mean you can send it to commodore for free repairs?

Old 13 July 2004, 20:14   #8
NunoLuz

Quote:
So your problem isn't transfer.
Right, I am able to trasnfer files ok. Slow, but ok!

Quote:
An amiga with a warranty! Does it mean you can send it to commodore for free repairs?
I, and for sure all of us, would wish it was like that...

Anyway, how can I make a game disk from an adf file??

Thanks again guys!

Nuno

Old 13 July 2004, 20:55   #9
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoLuz
Anyway, how can I make a game disk from an adf file??
Transfer TRANSDISK from your PC to your Amiga (comes with WinUAE), copy the ADF to the Amiga HD, go to the directory you saved it and type TRANSDISK -W NAME.ADF to transfer the adf to the floppy disk in DF0:
Old 15 July 2004, 20:44   #10
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

I think your best option is:

Buy a PCMCIA nic for your miggy, install amiTCP, and start using AE from TCP/IP, this option is rather slow. Try using a FTP Client on the PC.

ps. It's great to know that we still have amigans in Portugal
Old 15 July 2004, 20:48   #11
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

Btw... for converting ADF to disk, i would prefer TransADF, also there is a nice GUI for that tool.
You too can convert ADF files through AE, grab the ADF file (on WE) you want to convert and drop it on the DF0: icon... then you are set, although it's sooo slowww
Old 19 July 2004, 21:49   #12
NunoLuz

Quote:
Transfer TRANSDISK from your PC to your Amiga (comes with WinUAE), copy the ADF to the Amiga HD, go to the directory you saved it and type TRANSDISK -W NAME.ADF to transfer the adf to the floppy disk in DF0:
THANKS RetroMan it worked beautifuly!!!!

Quote:
I think your best option is:

Buy a PCMCIA nic for your miggy, install amiTCP, and start using AE from TCP/IP, this option is rather slow. Try using a FTP Client on the PC.

ps. It's great to know that we still have amigans in Portugal
Hi there Eny-!!!! Way coll to see countryman with the amiga cause

As for the TCP IP connection, I guess it will have to wait, because next up I will buy a CD-ROM ( to play CD 32 games - this is possible right??? ) and the adapter to use a VGA monitor!!!

I have tried TransADF, weirdest thing happened, I am able to select the adf file and the destination but as soon as I try to transfer, the program does absolutely nothing...

One more question: I have bought atebay the orginals of my favorite adventure games including Monkey Island saga and those Delphine classics, however after installing them and trying t run them from HD the screen gets weird... If I run from the floppy all seems ok..

Any suggestions??

Thanks guys!!!

Nuno
Portugal

Old 20 July 2004, 01:23   #13
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

I think it's an incompatibility with the A1200, go to www.whdload.de, and download the whdload prog. and the installers for each game you own, then run the installer.
Whdload it's a tool that allow all floppy games to be played from the hd, and also corrects bugs and stuff.
Old 21 July 2004, 23:02   #14
NunoLuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eny-
I think it's an incompatibility with the A1200, go to www.whdload.de, and download the whdload prog. and the installers for each game you own, then run the installer.
Whdload it's a tool that allow all floppy games to be played from the hd, and also corrects bugs and stuff.

Hi again Eny-!

Well I guess I found out by chance how to get int the Amiga 1200 boot options (press both mouse buttons at once and keep them pressed at startuo) and chaged one option for the gfx: it had three options: "best avaliable", "Enhanced" and finaly "Original".
Som I selected original and thy started all to work ok ..

Weid my first A1200 didnĀ“t need this, but then again this is not from Commodore its from Amiga ( the Magic Pack )....

Thans anyway!!!!

Regards:

Nuno
Portugal

Old 22 July 2004, 13:02   #15
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

Even so... you are better off with WHDload, running games from floppys is a thing of the past