English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 January 2002, 20:34   #1
Ziaxx
Zone Friend

Amiga emulation dying?

I saw a post on lemon64.com (yes I'm a C64 fan too), and they asked what has happened to the Amiga emulation the last months, saying that links are cut off, sites are banned, shareware games only to be found, etc. And well, I guess I agree, I was looking for a few games today but I had to end up posting requests for them cause the links where I was hoping to find them were dead. What's up with this? Is there some kind of "anti piracy thing" going on with Amiga emulation sites??
Old 27 January 2002, 21:52   #2
Djay
95th User

i used to run one such "BANNED" website, but there are many new sites uploading software, you just need to know where to look

TOSEC stuff is the best to get, and TOSEC'd files are available from a few places, try a search for aceroms and emuchina (both sites are down quite alot

as for Amiga emulation dying, 268 members of EAB can't be wrong, although a few probably don't emulate, and check out how many sites are available thru http://www.amigamos.com, and the Real amiga lives on, check out Aminet

the Amiga will live forever, in one shape of form!
Old 27 January 2002, 22:10   #3
Ian
Global Moderator

I'd have to say, no.

Everyday just about we have a new member/visitor log onto the board, sure some sites maybe gone/down/not updated, but wasn't this always the case?

From time to time people just get bored of their projects and give them up. Soon all will be back on track when someone else get's the bug to do a nice website/ftp/whatever. You'll see

And by the number of post I have to read here when I get back from work each day tells me that there's some life in the old dog yet

Everyone get's tired of something every now and again, so they take a break and come back with a renewed passion for whichever "scene" their involved with.

I myself have been through this patch lately, for about a month and a half I really had no interest in the Amiga at all, but now it's all come back again, stronger than ever

It'll come good, you just wait and see

BTW this seems to have been a popular topic on emu boards recently, I saw the same subject raised over at the L(ittle)G(reen)D(esktop) forum.

Simply put the "scene" will never die, it'll just hibernate from time to time

I hope this allays some of your fears

Last edited by Ian; 27 January 2002 at 22:19.
Old 27 January 2002, 22:44   #4
RetroMan

I think Ian is absolutely right The only thing right now is, that all the little rom sites are closing, cause all Amiga Retro Users want Tosec´d ROMS for download and all these Roms take enormous amount of space to upload, so all those free webhosters are unable to provide such amount of space .... That´s why most "private" sites (well aceroms and others are also private but I think you get the message) went offline ....

Amiga Scene will never die, I´ll promise
Old 27 January 2002, 22:56   #5
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Amiga Scene will never die, I´ll promise
Of course it can't die ! We won't let this append
Old 28 January 2002, 00:41   #6
Ziaxx
Zone Friend

I know there are many fans of Amiga stuff and emulation (I'm one of them!), so I didn't mean that people got bored of it, but I was mostly worried that maybe organisations like IDSA (www.idsa.com) or other anti-piracy organizations are after the Amiga sites, just like they are after "abandonware sites" for the PC. I hope this isn't the case though, cause I want for the Amiga scene to live forever!
Old 28 January 2002, 00:56   #7
oldpx

Efforts of IDSA are futile. They can only shut down minor personal sites. There's no way Emuchina can be shut down by idsa After all, Amiga emulation scene is not totally "illegal" there's a great legal resource like Back to the Roots!

The future of the "file trading scene" in general depends on peer to peer sharing and/or personal FTPs. If you register a free web space on tripod and try to upload emulation stuff there, it WILL get deleted there's no need to be desperate for the future of the scene because of this

I think the Amiga emu scene will live longer than I will for I have plans to pass my tosec CDs to my grandchildren in the future. (I hope they'll appreciate this!!!)

Old 28 January 2002, 04:52   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
BTW this seems to have been a popular topic on emu boards recently, I saw the same subject raised over at the L(ittle)G(reen)D(esktop) forum.
Hehehe...that's certainly ironic coming from the LGD camp. Anybody interested should go to some ST retro sites, visit their link pages and see how many sites from those pages are still alive. I've done this on several occasions when trying to find certain files for the ST...in most cases, I'd go more than a year without visiting ST sites, return to them looking for a file and find 95% of the sites no longer in existance. And the remaining sites have nothing new added to them (other than some that carry news). Now that's a dead scene!

But thanks for mentioning this because I never considered using the LGD forum before (I didn't even know they had one!) and I may use it in the future to ask for assistance in locating a particular game.
Old 28 January 2002, 08:48   #9
Pyromania

Re: Amiga emulation dying?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziaxx
I saw a post on lemon64.com (yes I'm a C64 fan too)
Speaking of the C64 Ziaxx I am having a hard time tracking down the one of the carts I used to own for the C64. I should have never sold that cart! It displayed subliminal messages over television. You could program it for loosing weight, being more motivated etc. It was a cool system and even let you setup your own subliminal messages. The name of that cart escapes me but I would appricate any help to track it down. Shame on me for selling something that ahead of its time (1986).
Old 28 January 2002, 19:50   #10
Ziaxx
Zone Friend

Pyromania, I haven't heard of that cart myself but it sounds pretty neat. But you should go to that site I mentioned (www.lemon64.com) and ask around on the board there, there are some helpful people there that might know it and be able to help you out!
Old 29 January 2002, 12:04   #11
CHiEF
Captain

Big grin

Amiga can't die if we won't let it!
Old 30 January 2002, 04:15   #12
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

I think I know what Ziaxx might be referring to-not that I ever saw it, but a good example of a forced shut-down was the Lazurus site,wasn't it?
I understand it was like a one-stop-shop for Amiga ADF file hunting?
Old 30 January 2002, 05:15   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

It was hardly that. True, their filelist was big for back then...nothing like the filelists we have seen recently on sites like emuchina and aceroms. And like those two sites, getting downloads to happen from Lazarus was painstaking and very often impossible as there was nowhere near enough bandwidth to meet the demand.

Since I already had a huge collection without Lazarus, I found the articles to be the most entertaining thing there. I don't think I ever managed to get more than ten downloads the whole time that site was up.

Ian summarized it pretty well, I think. Sometimes you just burn out on doing the same ritual every day and you just have to step away from it for a bit and return fresh. I imagine most, if not all of us have done this. If not here, somewhere else. For example, I get bored with Game Boy or ST or MAME, etc. emulation and don't mess with it. Then a new update will happen, I peek in, get updated and suddenly I am hordeing and playing games on that system again. It cyclical, really.
Old 30 January 2002, 23:37   #14
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK

Of course it can't die ! We won't let this append
I LOVE the accent, RCK!!
Old 31 January 2002, 01:03   #15
RCK
Administrator

Sometimes, the late hours and my french origins produce some odd english sentences, sorry