English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 July 2001, 00:27   #21
Amiga1992

HEy Drake,

Is it a pad that has two grips at the sides, and you must grab like if it was a bike? Because I think it is the Quickshot Flightgrip, which I own.

I have one complaint abut that joystick: the D-Pad's sharp corners. after intense gaming sessions, you could get thumb aches ;p
Old 16 August 2001, 01:19   #22
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Hotrod

The best joystick I have ever used is the Hotrod SE from Hanaho for the PC.

If you don't know who they are they make arcade cabinets for Capcom amongst others.

Its compatible with MAME and any other emulator that you can reconfigure the keys for as it plugs through the keyboard. Its arcade quality for real. Even better than the competition pro and comes with eight microswitches for movement rather than just four giving fantastic control for shooters.

They are expensive but worth it! Durable too
Old 16 August 2001, 04:29   #23
Amiga1992

Re: Hotrod

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombjacker
The best joystick I have ever used is the Hotrod SE from Hanaho for the PC.
the joystich for the rich bastard Really, the HotRod is AMAZING. I am avoiding to buy one because I think I will buy a cabinet instead of just a joystick. I want to build one of those MAME shiznitz... so if I get a used cabinet I might use its controls, or I might replace them with a HotRod. Im not sure yet. The iPac controller seems like its perfect for not needing a HotRod! And a HotRod would cost almost as much as the cabinet
Old 16 August 2001, 05:25   #24
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Quickjoy Topstar! It had a cool see thru base! But it broke a lot though.

Cam, the joystick that came with my Amiga was like the one you describe- it was black and you held it like a phaser. Mine had two red buttons on the sides, for thumb and forefinger, and a little stick on the top.

I adored it

I had a couple of control pads too. Can't remember their names. They made R-Type a little easier, coz they had more buttons, so you didn't need to touch the keyboard.
Old 16 August 2001, 05:29   #25
Amigaboy

My favourite Joysticks have always been the Quickshot 1 and Quickshot 2 (of course, many never survived and only ever stayed on the C64)

I currently use another type of Quickshot on the Amiga (which has survived everything). It's lasted for *at least* 10 years

I also have a brand new, never opened Quickshot Python 1 which will be my backup joystick when my current one dies

I think Quickshot were the greatest. I haven't used the PC versions as I think they'll just suck (but you never know)

If you ask my friends, they'll say The Competition Pro thingy (is that the one? It was black and had 2 red buttons on the front of it...Kinda looked like this...too lazy to find a pic)

-----------
| O O | <-- Buttons
| x | <-- Joystick thingy
-----------

ah crap. It doesn't come out right. Figure it out

Old 16 August 2001, 20:53   #26
Amiga1992

Competition Pro joysticks are the most cherished Amiga joysticks I know of. Like the TAC-2 for the C64. They were great joysticks, but I preffer other stuff as well.. Quickshots were indeed great, except the very first ones which used a feeble contact method, and broke easily (a thin metal plaque above the contacts that broke easily. I wrecked many of those)

The hype around the TAC-2 around Commodore 64 circles made me go out and buy one, and et me tell you I could not regret such a move. One of the finest joysticks EVER made. It's built to last forever. It's got a great response. It's got the mandatory arcade-like 'ballstick'... In one word, excellent

Muzkat, I like the Topstar a lot. My second 'most-wanted' joystick after the Megastar. Since I got a Megastar already, I should go out and try to find a Topstar
Old 16 August 2001, 21:07   #27
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Does anyone recall the 'quality' joystick supplied with the C Plus 4?

It had only one button position on the top of the joystick handle. That was a piss poor jstick that was!
Old 16 August 2001, 22:30   #28
Amiga1992

Yes. Shitty but lovely I should get one to match my +4. That reminds me i need some kind of joystick for it, better buiold an adapter
Old 16 August 2001, 22:52   #29
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

What old computers don't you have Akira! You seem to have an extensive collection. At this rate you will be able to open a museum!

The +4 jstick was kinda groovy at the time. I confess to once owning this machine because my parents were too tight and wouldn't get me a 64. It was about half the price of a 64 back in 1985!
Old 17 August 2001, 18:58   #30
Amiga1992

well, the collection is growing I am mainly focusing in C= computers right now, Atari follows. Believe me, compared to some people, I have pish all! Blame my new job for my growing lineup of machines. I don't make fortunes but I dedicate the cash almost exclusively to the collecting purpose.

Some of the machines are not here with me though, I have to bring them from my home at FL, USA. I miss them
Old 17 August 2001, 19:38   #31
Bombjacker
Two-bit whore

Wish I had the time and money to start up a collection myself! I couldn't really afford the PC I bought and was then foolish enough to by a Hotrod after finding the fantastic retrofest that is MAME! Keep on collecting man and try not to miss your machines in the US of A too much!
Old 20 August 2001, 15:36   #32
Riempie
Amiga freak

Arcade

Well, the one button Arcade Joystick is the king in my opinion.
Old 20 August 2001, 18:36   #33
T-Bag

Best stick ive used on any system was a Cruiser (not sure who made it, or if thats the full name)
It came in two colours - "puke" which was green with yellow buttons and a pink stick looked awfull. There was also a black version which i had.
It was by far the best joystick i used for Sensi

The quickshot thing was pretty decent as well but a bit big for my liking.

Old 08 October 2001, 02:11   #34
Uukrul

I got this beauty last week and is an awesome megadrive joypad. I think that after months of playing SWOS I'll be able of win a match (why is so hard?)

Attachment Removed

Last edited by Ian; 29 December 2001 at 20:04.

Old 08 October 2001, 20:13   #35
Amiga1992

Hmm. arcade sticks.. I love'em. Nothing beats a nice arcade stick IMO. I preffer joysticks to joypads anytime
Old 09 October 2001, 05:09   #36
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I agree. Nothing like that arcade feel when playing games.:thumbs_up
Old 12 June 2004, 07:28   #37
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Reviving an old thread here... (blame the 'similar threads' links! )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Aye, it was held like a funky sci-fi pistol, with a dark blue trigger acting as fire#1 and a small cylindrical controller. Easy to break, but fun to "shoot" your mates with (until you no longer have any mates, that is).
Sounds like the Navigator (also by Konix I believe).
Broke a couple of these things fire buttons, but superglue kept them going a while longer

Just bought an awesome stick off eBay... the BattleStation II (see pic)
Has outputs for NES, SNES, Master System, Mega Drive, & Amiga/C64/etc
(Unfortunately the one I bought had no cables)
I'm planning on wiring it for CD32 & PC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battlestation.jpg
Views:	4108
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	6937  
Old 12 June 2004, 13:06   #38
ant512

You can't beat one of these:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zip.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	6942  
Old 12 June 2004, 13:10   #39
StarEye
Zone Friend

I had a joystick called Maverick. Or rather it was an arcadestick with two buttons only. It was great for SWOS. I also loved the Zip-sticks, or rather the Competition Pro 5000. Those were the ultimate. IMO Zip-sticks felt like a cheap impression of the Competition Pro 5000. I bought that one in Germany when I was on vacation there. I wish I still had one of those.

So, it was the Maverick and the Competition Pro 5000 that made it for me. Those were the best joysticks I ever handled. Too bad I went nuts one day over losing in SWOS, and I utterly grinded my Maverick to pieces. You can only guess how much my cousin laughed that time. He usually don't like soccer games, but that one is one of his fondest memories. Oh, the shame...
Old 12 June 2004, 13:35   #40
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

The Arcade (2 buttons)

This one I have since my tenth birthday
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ArcadeTurbo.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	6943