English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 16 June 2011, 23:33   #1
Gaula92

alternatives for saving game in Cannon Fodder

Hello there

Seeing as no one with appropiate skills can help me fixing the Cannon Fodder HD install (not WHDLOAD install) for my Minimig, I'm looking for alternatives based on the ADF files.
So, let's see...

1) Is there a hacked release of Cannon Fodder wich uses passwords?

2) Is there a hacked release of Cannon Fodder wich saves to a normal DOS disk (not one formatted with it's internal tool)?

3) Is there a hacked AR3 (Minimig has AR support implemeted) that saves faster to HD instead of the tedious, slow, unreliable process of saving to a FD?

thanks!
Old 16 June 2011, 23:37   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaula88@hotmail View Post
Hello there

Seeing as no one with appropiate skills can help me fixing the Cannon Fodder HD install (not WHDLOAD install) for my Minimig, I'm looking for alternatives based on the ADF files.
So, let's see...

1) Is there a hacked release of Cannon Fodder wich uses passwords?

2) Is there a hacked release of Cannon Fodder wich saves to a normal DOS disk (not one formatted with it's internal tool)?

3) Is there a hacked AR3 (Minimig has AR support implemeted) that saves faster to HD instead of the tedious, slow, unreliable process of saving to a FD?

thanks!
What version of Cannon Fodder are you using with your Minimig?
Old 16 June 2011, 23:48   #3
Gaula92

-For the ADF version (where I can't create or use a previously create a custom CF disk to save and load because Minimig can't cope with the format), I'm using the Fairlight release.

-For the HD install, I found the TRIANGLE release wich works great except it can't save or load on a plain 68000 (hence it can't save or load on the Minimig). But it works so great appart from that, that I dream of see it saving and loading on a plain 68k and hence the Minimig
Old 16 June 2011, 23:50   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
-For the ADF version (where I can't create or use a previously create a custom CF disk to save and load because Minimig can't cope with the format), I'm using the Fairlight release.

-For the HD install, I found the TRIANGLE release wich works great except it can't save or load on a plain 68000 (hence it can't save or load on the Minimig). But it works so great appart from that, that I dream of see it saving and loading on a plain 68k and hence the Minimig
So you can setup a hard drive environment within Minimig?

If you could upload the Triangle HD version to the zone.
Old 16 June 2011, 23:52   #5
Gaula92

I can set up an HD enviroment on the Minimig, yes. It works very well in fact!
The Triangle release is already there, sir

http://download.abime.net/zone/Canno...minimig%29.zip

thanks for taking the time to take a look at it, if you're doing that!
Old 16 June 2011, 23:53   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Yeah, jut noticed.

But again, Minimig can have a proper Hard drive environment yes?
Old 17 June 2011, 00:01   #7
Gaula92

Yes, it has a proper HD enviroment: it's an official feature on the current versions since 2008 or so.
It has the A600 HD controller implemented, and it features a very fast HD access (with the appropiate ARM controller in the board, that's it. Without it, using the default PIC controller and current PIC firmwares, it's still usabe and fast if you keep the HDF size to something like 20-60MB, wich is still great considering the size of most Amiga classic software).
Mine has the ARM controller living in the board, so it's a fast classic Amiga with HD
I play a lot of games from hd: It came from the Desert, Monkey Island, Simon The Sorcerer, Ishar... they all live in my Minimig HD and load instantly. I believe Cannon Fodder is the only personal classic resisting by now: plaging it from the beggining every time is not that fun :P
Old 17 June 2011, 00:05   #8
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Yes, it has a proper HD enviroment: it's an official feature on the current versions since 2008 or so.
It has the A600 HD controller implemented, and it features a very fast HD access (with the appropiate ARM controller in the board, that's it. Without it, using the default PIC controller and current PIC firmwares, it's still usabe and fast if you keep the HDF size to something like 20-60MB, wich is still great considering the size of most Amiga classic software).
Mine has the ARM controller living in the board, so it's a fast classic Amiga with HD
I play a lot of games from hd: It came from the Desert, Monkey Island, Simon The Sorcerer, Ishar... they all live in my Minimig HD and load instantly. I believe Cannon Fodder is the only personal classic resisting by now: plaging it from the beggining every time is not that fun :P
OK, so currently for you, what are the maximum Amiga memory settings you can have? Is it limited to 2meg of chipram or what?
Old 17 June 2011, 00:17   #9
Gaula92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
OK, so currently for you, what are the maximum Amiga memory settings you can have? Is it limited to 2meg of chipram or what?
It's limited to 1.5 MB of CHIP RAM: KS 3.1 is loaded when the system boots, and it takes 512 KBs, so even if the Minimig has 2MB RAM, only 1.5MB can be used.
The TRIANGLE release seems to work well with that.
Old 17 June 2011, 00:27   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Does Minimig support long filenames?

For some stupid reason, Triangle have insisted on using VERY long filenames with spaces in them and i'm wondering if Minimig can't handle them.
Old 17 June 2011, 00:41   #11
Gaula92

well, I have just created a file with 25 characters name using ED, and it seems to handle it normally. I use Standard File System with OS 3.1 installed in my Minimig's HDF.

In case it can help you, I found out that using a Cycle-Exact 68K emulation in WinUAE I can reproduce the very same problem with TRIANGLE release, while disabling Cycle-Exact 68K OR setting a 60ec20 (or 68020) makes the TRIANGLE release save and load normally. That's why I don't believe it's related to filename length.
Old 17 June 2011, 00:43   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Right, i've uploaded an edited file into the zone for you to try, its called FODDER_MM

1). copy fodder_mm into the data directory
2). In the main parent directory is a textfile called 'cannonfodder'
3). Edit that file in a text editor and on the third line edit the word 'fodder' to 'fodder_mm'

Now run the game as you normally would. Do not load/save anything.

Start a game, win that level and then get back to the screen with the hills on it.

Now try and save your game and report back what happens.

Filenames in Cannon Fodder Triangle version are 30 chars with spaces.
Old 17 June 2011, 01:04   #13
Gaula92

Tried your new executable (by copying it to the data dir, changing fodder with fodder_mm in the CannonFodder shellscript and running it normally, leaving the assings, etc).
The result is the same, a black screen after entering the name for the save. Music keeps playing on the black screen, that seems to last forever. You can be sure I ran the right executable, of course

I forgot to tell you: clicking on the loading option in the hill screen causes the music to slowdow for a moments, and then presents me with the same black screen.

Last edited by Gaula92; 17 June 2011 at 01:09.
Old 19 June 2011, 11:24   #14
Gaula92

@Galahad/FLT: Did you look into it any more? I'm eager for new tests!
Old 19 June 2011, 12:51   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Out of interest, can you quit back to dos with the Triangle version properly?

I remember using it on a plain A1200 back in the day, and it would quit back but the mouse pointer would freeze.
Old 19 June 2011, 14:03   #16
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

Just found this on net. Check out Zone. 7 in 1 Amiga cannon Fodder. Has trainer and works in Windows. Plays in full screen too.
Old 19 June 2011, 16:37   #17
Gaula92

@Galahad/FTL: I can't exit in the Minimig. I understand your lack of interest, as you can use the game well. Thanks for trying anyway

@stevsurv: interesting... I haven't a Windows system to test it but is it a WinUAE install or a native conversion of some kind? Just out of curiosity, because I don't have/use Windows, only MOS, Linux and Mac OSX.
Old 20 June 2011, 15:35   #18
Hewitson

One word for you: WINE.
Old 20 June 2011, 16:26   #19
Gaula92

@Hewitson: I know about Wine. In fact, I use it sometimes, but not to run emulators, specially to run a game I can run in real Amiga and Minimig, much faster, better and without nasty input lags of "modern" (read bloated) oses.
But thanks for the suggestion.. unless you're referring to spanish wines, wich I also like but don't drink s often
Old 21 June 2011, 09:16   #20
Hewitson

The average Linux installation these days would be just as bloated as any Windows setup unfortunately.

The people programming all these "Desktop Environments" (eg KDE/GNOME) haven't got a bloody clue, it's like they are competiting with eachother to see who can make the largest, slowest piece of crap ever created.