English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 03 March 2018, 19:22   #21
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
There is this :

http://aminet.net/package/game/patch/TKGTurboPatch

It gives noticeable speed up to AB2 TKG, but it requires original (unpacthed) game files, so it is not useable in most of cases. I think that very few people has actually used/tested it. It doesn't even remove copy protection.
These days with WHDL dominating who knows.. but back in the day I think because it was running so slow, I think nearly everyone who bought the game running on a 030 or better probably made the effort to find and install this patch. I know I did
Also... AFAIK it specifically requires the 4MB version exec...
Old 05 April 2018, 02:31   #22
HardStep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
These days with WHDL dominating who knows.. but back in the day I think because it was running so slow, I think nearly everyone who bought the game running on a 030 or better probably made the effort to find and install this patch. I know I did
Also... AFAIK it specifically requires the 4MB version exec...
I believe there is a WHDLoad install incorporating that turbo patch as well.
Old 05 April 2018, 07:35   #23
Mrz
Banned

the best way to play this game is using winuae + whload patch done by PSygore
even I have the last beta version done by him which is not public, it allow to play this game like a PC first person shooter using the mouse + ASDW keys

in winuae and a fast PC it runs at 39fps constant because the game is blocked at such speed, is very smooth

on a real AMiga this game is really slow even on 040/060 it does not go further than than 8 or 9 fps

the RTG patch on aminet is very very buggy and obsolete it crash always you can't complete the game ( don't use it)
Old 05 April 2018, 14:35   #24
trixster
Guru Meditating

That is incorrect. On an 060 the game is much faster than "8 or 9 fps". On an 80mhz 060 the fps counter is often double that, fullscreen.

Last edited by trixster; 05 April 2018 at 16:59.
Old 05 April 2018, 15:35   #25
Dunny

It's much faster than that on an A1200 50MHz '030 too - I finished it (the retail version, no patches) on that machine and it felt like 20fps or more.
Old 06 April 2018, 12:31   #26
Mrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
That is incorrect. On an 060 the game is much faster than "8 or 9 fps". On an 80mhz 060 the fps counter is often double that, fullscreen.
8 or 9 fps in the 040/40mhz or the 060/50mhz
on a 80 mhz 060 surely give about 12-13 fps
check using the whdload installed game, it has fps counter buit in, you will see
12 or 13 fps is not smooth is not playlable for today standards
Old 06 April 2018, 12:39   #27
Mrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
It's much faster than that on an A1200 50MHz '030 too - I finished it (the retail version, no patches) on that machine and it felt like 20fps or more.
"feels" does not mean will run at 20 fps in your A1200
in a 030/50 is really unplaylable , around 3 or 4 fps I estimated

well, perhaps you played the game but not in full screen mode , then yes feels 20 fps in such config
Old 06 April 2018, 12:44   #28
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrz View Post
"feels" does not mean will run at 20 fps in your A1200
in a 030/50 is really unplaylable , around 3 or 4 fps I estimated

well, perhaps you played the game but not in full screen mode , then yes feels 20 fps in such config
Definitely as large as I could get it. I love that game - and it certainly wasn't unplayable, as I finished it. Took a bloody long time.
Old 06 April 2018, 13:08   #29
Mrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Definitely as large as I could get it. I love that game - and it certainly wasn't unplayable, as I finished it. Took a bloody long time.
I understand I love this game too, is the best fps shooter for the Amiga
but now finish the game in winuae , the smoothness and the experience you will feel is amazing believe me

I will make and post a video later for the most conservative members to see how this game runs at 39 fps
Old 07 April 2018, 05:01   #30
HardStep

I played the demo in May 1996 on a 1200 with just 4mb fast ram and it was an awesome experience. Hard to explain now though but it made an impact on that machine too.
Old 13 December 2018, 02:45   #31
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrz View Post
the RTG patch on aminet is very very buggy and obsolete it crash always you can't complete the game ( don't use it)
I beat the game using the RTG patch. It did crash once in a while and it had to 64-bit align the screen so it didn't line up exactly with the window dressing bitmap, but it did make the game fast and easily playable in 1x1 fullscreen on my A4000 with CSPPC+CVPPC. It was much faster than using any of the c2p AGA patches. I consider it the only way to really play the game properly on a real Amiga (short of a Vampire).
Old 17 December 2018, 11:11   #32
R-TEAM

Have used the RTG patch back in the days ... it sometimes work over hours .. sometimes you have an guru ever 10min ... so i would say .. if you have many times and know the risk .. the RTG patch is still the fastest possible "engine" ... but i have at end prefer the AGA patches ...
Best would it to port it over to an "more modern" engine - like Quake
Old 17 December 2018, 12:52   #33
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-TEAM View Post
Best would it to port it over to an "more modern" engine - like Quake
Agreed. I think the level editor was in AmosPro also so that could be an option to add a Quake exporter. I don't remember where I saw that though.
Old 17 December 2018, 16:21   #34
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Agreed. I think the level editor was in AmosPro also so that could be an option to add a Quake exporter. I don't remember where I saw that though.

John Girvin made the lev2map util that at least one guy used to port the old AB3d maps to the Quake engine.
[ Show youtube player ]
Ive never actually seen anyone use it to port TKG maps though, but I guess its not beyond someone who understands the code to modify it to work with TKG.

I got the source for lev2map from John Girvin but I'm not sure if its supposed to be freely available (I think he would have uploaded it to aminet if that was the case). I don't think he minds if someone wants to use it for something constructive though, if you want it, PM me and I can send it to you.

I agree that Quake would be a good platform for a remake, but I'm not sure if the ports of the "Vanilla" quake engine are adequate. I think you'd run into problems like max level size.. Also, to get stuff like transparent water, skyubox instead of quake sky, you need some more advanced version of Quake. On PC, you have refined versions developed to this day, but on Amiga, the fast ones are really bare bone versions of the engine (early WinQuake) and you either need to accept those limitations or go for another engine with a whole new level of hardware requirements (GL Quake etc..)

I think that if we get a Vampire optimized 3d library (like Wazp3d or something like that) then we could move on to GL Quake as the standard for Vamped up Amigas (And probably 060 + RTG)