English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 01 July 2014, 14:52   #461
MoreBITS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanciB View Post
I got --- on gotek too. Or I got number on it but it was not possible to change position with the buttons.

I then quick formatted the usb stick with 32k block size. And that worked out.

J.
Thanks, should it show numbers even if it is not connected to an amiga?
Old 01 July 2014, 15:55   #462
MoreBITS

Thanks for the tip, I got it working now.

I was using win7, I think that was the issue. I tried every possible format configuration with win 7, then as I was about to give up, I threw it in my XP machine.

Formatted it Fat32 with standard allocation size, quick format, and it worked straight away.

It does show the numbers even if the gotek isn't connected to the Amiga.

The menu is acting a bit strangely I think. I select an ADF for slot 002 for example and then it shows a different (previous maybe) add in the menu, I click it again and it changes to the one I selected.

I am just using keyboard with arrow keys and enter.
Old 01 July 2014, 16:00   #463
JanciB

My gotek shows numbers only when i plug the usb key in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreBITS View Post
Thanks, should it show numbers even if it is not connected to an amiga?
Old 13 July 2014, 23:15   #464
utri007
mä vaan

So selector.adf can see ALL files from USB stick. So is there a program wich can started top of OS? That way Gotek could be "poor man's" usb solution for Amiga.
Old 30 July 2014, 19:16   #465
solarice

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
So selector.adf can see ALL files from USB stick..
Not sure tbh, i haven't tried. Has anyone else?

While i'm here:

The sound mod, has anyone who's installed either one let me know if cannon fodder screams when it asks for disc 2. I've installed kipper2k's version and its fine (as far as tested) apart from the above issue.

I've asked kipper2k but as he seems to be a busy guy i figured asking here might help get more heads on the problem / a solution. As it doesn't happen in either winuae or on a real drive its gotta be a gotek thing.
Old 30 July 2014, 22:44   #466
Jackoland

Hey check out my amiga 500 mod for gotek.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=74541

I would like to create a switch to toggle between floppy drive and usb any ideas. I have loads of disks and would like to be old school sometimes, cheers.

Rich
Old 31 July 2014, 00:59   #467
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarice View Post
I've asked kipper2k but as he seems to be a busy guy i figured asking here might help get more heads on the problem / a solution. As it doesn't happen in either winuae or on a real drive its gotta be a gotek thing.
There are two situations in which a Gotek with sound mod will make a sound where a normal drive won't:
* The sound mod doesn't have any drive select circuitry so it will sound when a step pulse is sent to any drive, not just the gotek itself.
* Real drives will generally refuse to step inward beyond track 0, and the various "no-click" hacks to stop empty drives clicking periodically exploit this fact by asking the drive to step to track -1. The drive ignores the command, so doesn't click, but still updates the "disk inserted" signal.

This is just guesswork, since I haven't tested yet - but I reckon Cannon Fodder is monitoring all four drives' disk inserted signals (using the no-click method) to detect the disk change, and doing so very rapidly, hence the scream.
Old 31 July 2014, 02:01   #468
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
So selector.adf can see ALL files from USB stick. So is there a program wich can started top of OS? That way Gotek could be "poor man's" usb solution for Amiga.
Now THIS would be very interesting!
Another way to exchange files between PC and Amiga (other than PCMCIA+CF, IDE+CF, wireless network cards, etc.). Would be great!
Old 31 July 2014, 17:06   #469
solarice

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
There are two situations in which a Gotek with sound mod will make a sound where a normal drive won't:
* The sound mod doesn't have any drive select circuitry so it will sound when a step pulse is sent to any drive, not just the gotek itself.
* Real drives will generally refuse to step inward beyond track 0, and the various "no-click" hacks to stop empty drives clicking periodically exploit this fact by asking the drive to step to track -1. The drive ignores the command, so doesn't click, but still updates the "disk inserted" signal.

This is just guesswork, since I haven't tested yet - but I reckon Cannon Fodder is monitoring all four drives' disk inserted signals (using the no-click method) to detect the disk change, and doing so very rapidly, hence the scream.
Ah i never thought of that yeah i guess that's possible...it does the first set of clicks then on the next try goes nuts for a bit then returns to the first set of clicks etc.

Just checked with winuae and it does pickup the second disk in the fourth drive. Maybe mystery solved?

Would be easy if e.g pin34 or motor pin could be inverted to only turn speaker on when the drive should be on. I have managed a similar thing (which creates the correct drive sound) by controlling the speaker with both pin34 and stepN but i doubt its the correct way to be doing it.

Last edited by solarice; 31 July 2014 at 17:15.
Old 01 August 2014, 19:32   #470
solarice

Can anyone see any reason i why i can't control the +ve for the speaker with a pnp transistor attached to either pin 34 or pin 16 (most likely to use pin 16 i'd reckon).

Switched low keeps speaker turned off til the drive/motor is in use and as a result stops any rouge signals that aren't meant for that drive.

It works in testing, so just want to make sure i've not missed anything obvious that'll cause issues.
Old 03 August 2014, 03:15   #471
Jackoland

Help

Having a bit of a prob with gotek drive, i can load adf onto usb stick, use them in amiga 500 with no probs, then after a few hours, i start getting checksum errors on disks, and a few strange crashes. To fix this i format my usb stick, upload adfs onto it and then it works fine, is my usb getting corrupted during use, or in effort to put it in case by stripping down damaged something.

Any ideas

Cheers
Jacko
Old 03 August 2014, 20:52   #472
Jackoland

just update - when i transfer on pc and try to use usb to load in winuae - same checksum errors, then fixes on format and copying adf back - so defo some form of data prob - could this be the symptom of a virus - i have used my old disks to make image files and found some bootblock virus. I will try using only downloaded clean adf and see if it works - then i can try and fix my old disks.

cheers
Old 09 August 2014, 00:28   #473
breech

I'm going to grab one of these because my last floppy drive has now died I need to get my drives serviced. I wonder if anyone is doing that?

Sorry to TC, Supamax could you please check your PMs (regarding hardital insider 2 hardware info!)
Old 13 August 2014, 03:10   #474
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by breech View Post
Sorry to TC, Supamax could you please check your PMs (regarding hardital insider 2 hardware info!)
Done .
Old 26 August 2014, 10:30   #475
RetroPaul

Finally got my hands on a Gotek and programmer cable. Had a go at flashing the firmware yesterday but had no joy..

USB-Serial drivers were auto detected on my Win7 machine with no issues and tried the loopback test and got an output. I tried various different speeds aswell.

I soldered the connectors directly to ensure a decent connection but i cant get the flash loader to see it. Should any of the lights come on when its powered up as i get nothing?

Im going to re-solder it again later on and have another try, ill also try using an XP VM and see if its Win7 related. Quite frustrating as it looks like it should be very sraightforward..
Old 26 August 2014, 10:31   #476
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroPaul View Post
Finally got my hands on a Gotek and programmer cable. Had a go at flashing the firmware yesterday but had no joy..

USB-Serial drivers were auto detected on my Win7 machine with no issues and tried the loopback test and got an output. I tried various different speeds aswell.

I soldered the connectors directly to ensure a decent connection but i cant get the flash loader to see it. Should any of the lights come on when its powered up as i get nothing?

Im going to re-solder it again later on and have another try, ill also try using an XP VM and see if its Win7 related. Quite frustrating as it looks like it should be very sraightforward..
Wouldn't program for me under windows 7 i had to use xp
Old 26 August 2014, 16:04   #477
devo

Just a note that after a lot of trouble with multiple computers and com ports, I had success flashing a gotek with using an arduino uno. Wired reset to ground (on arduino) to prevent arduino from booting. Was on a xp machine, and baud rate set quite low. Took a bunch of attempts to connect but got there in the end. From memory the Tx and Rx were not wired as expected. Once the flashing software started saying "unrecognized device" it was just a matter of resetting gotek and trying again until it worked.

Old 26 August 2014, 18:12   #478
amigaosx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Here is an updated buzzer mod, uses a 5v buzzer now connected to the 5v rail ...

1 x BC547 or similar bipolar transistor
1 x 1k resistor
1 x magnetic type buzzer (Digikey # 668-1373-nd

below shows the buzzer attached to the top part of the case, fits nicely

This is my first post so hi all!

I did Kipper's sound hack mod to my gotek and is not working.
I get a constant beep.
Here's a video with the problem: [ Show youtube player ]

I've used a magnetic type buzzer, here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130889560494

The gotek is running great besides this soundhack on my A500.

Some pics of the hack (sorry for my soldering skills):

What I'm doing wrong?
Old 26 August 2014, 18:44   #479
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Very bad soldering i thought

The two yellow track are i think touching themselves at red point :

Just check
Old 26 August 2014, 20:24   #480
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaosx View Post
What I'm doing wrong?
I think your problem is just that you're using the wrong kind of buzzer. You have one with active buzzer circuitry, designed to emit a tone when power is applied - you need the simpler type, which just acts as a speaker, leaving the transistor to generate the actual buzz.