English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 22 June 2007, 21:15   #1
BippyM
Global Moderator

Highscores

Maybe we could have some highscore merging options

Some games save their highscores, maybe it is possible to merge highscores posted (Galaga can do this). Maybe using savestates or whatever
Old 22 June 2007, 21:17   #2
Graham Humphrey

Call me thick if you like, but why would you want to do this, and how? Okay for Galaga it's easy but many game don't have an option to do this so it could be rather tricky.

Convince me
Old 22 June 2007, 21:19   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

We could then have a thread where we try and beat each others highscores, something that is continuously ongoing, and would require maybe 1 or 2 threads

It should be simple to edit save states and post the new state

Also WHD games usually save highscores to a specific file, which should be easy to edit

Member posts pic and someone (me maybe) edits the highscore table..
Old 22 June 2007, 21:24   #4
Graham Humphrey

Ah, so basically something that is separate and different from the actual "proper" competition, and presumably is open indefinitely? Almost like an EAB Hall of Fame I guess. It's an interesting idea and could be worth a go.
Old 22 June 2007, 21:26   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

yeah bang on
Old 22 June 2007, 21:31   #6
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Also WHD games usually save highscores to a specific file, which should be easy to edit
You mean edit highscore files? It is not so easy, trust me. These are not simple files. Everything depends on the game. Some are saving highscore in a typical way but some are encrypting it so you could not easily modify them.

Idea is good and we are actually doing this already in competitions with the difference that there are only scores set during the round and higscore thread would cover all time scores. We could simply send scores and have them updated. But I guess you need to have as many threads as many games there are. Don't you think it is impossible? Or maybe you have some other ideas how to cope with this?
Old 22 June 2007, 21:33   #7
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Idea is good and we are actually doing this already in competitions with the difference that there are only scores set during the round and higscore thread would cover all time scores. We could simply send scores and have them updated. But I guess you need to have as many threads as many games there are. Don't you think it is impossible? Or maybe you have some other ideas how to cope with this?
We could maybe keep the highscore threads for each game in their own sub-forum?

EDIT: That is, not a sub-forum for every game, but a sub-forum for the whole highscores thing in general (not related to the league that is). Just thought I'd make that clear.
Old 22 June 2007, 21:33   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'd figure most games out
Old 23 June 2007, 06:11   #9
VermillioN

this is a great idea.. especially handy for ppl that login to EAB and say "Oh spewing!! I missed out on the Slamtilt/Ace of Space round!!!"
I for one will not be stating this lol.. I still never want to play that table again

One thing though.. for games that don't support high score merging, (most of them), is this only applicable to savestate users? Because of course I use real amigas

Old 21 July 2007, 09:55   #10
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King

How about something along the lines of this?

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=27658

One thread and someone nominated to keep it up to date? It will always be open to abuse unfortunately with trainers/cheats etc. But a simple (please) no save states allowed and you have to play with default lives/difficulty settings.
Old 21 July 2007, 13:17   #11
Graham Humphrey

Well I don't think cheating etc. will be much of a problem, we've had no cheating in the Games League so far as it's all been played in the right spirit and if this thing takes off as well I can't see many problems.
Old 21 July 2007, 14:13   #12
mailman
Zone Friend

I wouldn't take cheating as a problem. Some hardcore players of some games can easily tell you which score was achieved using tricks and even if they don't who cares! Let's do it for fun. In the league people are not cheating so why should they do it here?

One problem would be maintaining this in the forum. We are gonna have a sub-forum for highscores and seperate threads for each game in it. Bear in mind, that some people might don't bother to search for an existing thread and start the new one. Moderators will have a whole lot to do. For me it is obvious to look for the suitable thread (being precise - thread which is the title of the game) but people are lazy. Nevertheless it can be done and would be fun Also you won't be limited to the scores achieved during the round (like it is in the league) but you submit your all time score!
Old 21 July 2007, 14:59   #13
Graham Humphrey

I know it's Bippy's idea but I'll help him run it if he wants

We'll definitely need a sub-forum, and if people start new threads for games that already have threads we'll just merge them I don't think it will be that much work actually, I can't see it happening too often but I personally don't see it as a problem (but then I don't have to moderate the whole of EAB like Bippy does).

One thing that would concern me, though, is that if a game is covered in the high scores section, if it got voted for in the League would less people be willing to take part as they will probably already have played it a few times? Maybe I'm just being silly
Old 05 July 2013, 21:10   #14
Zak
ZapĀ“em

Was the idea of this thread ever realized?
Edit: Ah I see, so this competition section here is for highscores, right?

Last edited by Zak; 05 July 2013 at 21:15.
Old 06 July 2013, 02:19   #15
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
We could then have a thread where we try and beat each others highscores, something that is continuously ongoing, and would require maybe 1 or 2 threads

It should be simple to edit save states and post the new state

Member posts pic and someone (me maybe) edits the highscore table..
or we could edit the file or the disk in hexa and make it available !!! surely more clean !