English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 22 December 2008, 21:50   #1
elmasta
Registered User
elmasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Uruguay
Age: 37
Posts: 38
Question a600 video fault

Hi! this a600 was the one I have had for over 16 years now. It had some problems with leaking capacitors which prevented the machine from booting. But, I changed the problematic ones and it worked.

However, when playing games, for example project x, the main sprite (the ship), the background and pretty much anything that moves flickers horribly. Its annoying as hell, and prevents me from playing any games

This graphics corruption happens only in games. Not in workbench. Also, the machine runs stabily with no crashes whatsoever. I find it puzzling and I have no idea what can it be.

I recorded these videos:
http://video.google.es/videoplay?doc...04101842&hl=es
http://video.google.es/videoplay?doc...22255698&hl=es


Thanks
elmasta is offline  
Old 22 December 2008, 22:08   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 12,388
Possibly a RAM fault. You sure these games EVER worked on this A600?? Have you upgraded the Kickstart?
alexh is online now  
Old 22 December 2008, 22:21   #3
elmasta
Registered User
elmasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Uruguay
Age: 37
Posts: 38
The games worked before, yes, it's the same machine I had when I was a kid.

If it were the RAM, wouldn't the computer be unstable? because I don't experience any random crashes.

No I didn't upgrade the kickstart.
elmasta is offline  
Old 22 December 2008, 23:14   #4
DDNI
Targ Explorer

DDNI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 46
Posts: 5,265
Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Are you using a PCMCIA SRAM card?
DDNI is offline  
Old 22 December 2008, 23:17   #5
orange
Registered User
orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Belgrade
Posts: 567
there are several utilities on aminet for testing RAM
orange is offline  
Old 23 December 2008, 13:03   #6
elmasta
Registered User
elmasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Uruguay
Age: 37
Posts: 38
Thank you for your suggestions and help.

When I recorded the video, the machine had only the floppy disk connected, and no extra ram. Just the 1mb chip. The behavior is with Proyect X (not SE) disks.

I ran a mem test with an old program I had, let it for 1 hour or so, and it did not report any problems.

Could it be a capacitor problem? because I didn't change all of them.

Then I connected the HD and the 1mb trapdoor expansion, and I ran Project X SE with WHDload, the behavior was worse than with Project X normal edition disks.

I did some more testing with other WHDload games but I could not reproduce this behavior. Note that the other games I tried werent so graphically intensive. I tried Alien Breed TA, Dyna blaster, and one intro and they ran ok.
elmasta is offline  
Old 23 December 2008, 16:50   #7
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts
rkauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sao Leopoldo / Brazil
Age: 54
Posts: 3,482
Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Yes, it can be a capacitor problem. Specially those near the video port.
rkauer is offline  
Old 23 December 2008, 16:53   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 12,388
And you 100% sure that this game, these particular disks, worked fine on this Amiga before?
alexh is online now  
Old 24 December 2008, 17:56   #9
elmasta
Registered User
elmasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Uruguay
Age: 37
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
And you 100% sure that this game, these particular disks, worked fine on this Amiga before?
Yes 100%. Were the same disks I used to play with back when I was a kid.

I think it's not a problem with the disks because when run it with whdload from harddisk (with downloaded image disks from projectx se) the video fault persists. And it's even worse with PX SE. There are changes in the colors of the pallete, making it completely unplayable.

However, it seems strange to me that other games run perfectly fine. I haven't tested much games for this defect, but I will.

Moreover, I did an exhaustive list of all electrolitic capacitors in the motherboard and checked the circuit they were part of in the schematics. But I can't find any link between the video fault and the suposedly faulty capacitors.

I am out of ideas regarding what this can be, any help is appreciated.
elmasta is offline  
Old 01 January 2009, 14:01   #10
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

FOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barry / UK
Age: 41
Posts: 5,753
Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmasta View Post
Yes 100%. Were the same disks I used to play with back when I was a kid.

I think it's not a problem with the disks because when run it with whdload from harddisk (with downloaded image disks from projectx se) the video fault persists. And it's even worse with PX SE. There are changes in the colors of the pallete, making it completely unplayable.

However, it seems strange to me that other games run perfectly fine. I haven't tested much games for this defect, but I will.

Moreover, I did an exhaustive list of all electrolitic capacitors in the motherboard and checked the circuit they were part of in the schematics. But I can't find any link between the video fault and the suposedly faulty capacitors.

I am out of ideas regarding what this can be, any help is appreciated.
Out of interest, whats turrican2 like (if you have it). Cause I have seen this type of corruption before, when testing with turrican2 CDTV version, on my real amiga. I had that problem cause I was trying to run it on kickstart above 1.3 and I removed the rmtm files from the startup.

As you say it happens on only certain games, it can be a bit confusing to decide wether its the machine or not. What about downloading, another version of ProjectX and see if that works. In theory, if its the machine, it shouldnt matter if you tried 10 different versions, they should all play up the same.
FOL is offline  
Old 01 January 2009, 15:31   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 12,388
You can get a replacement A600 motherboard off ebay for £4.99
alexh is online now  
Old 01 January 2009, 16:16   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

FOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barry / UK
Age: 41
Posts: 5,753
Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
You can get a replacement A600 motherboard off ebay for £4.99
At that price, proberly be simple to get it and rule it out completely.
FOL is offline  
Old 02 January 2009, 12:36   #13
Damion
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: US
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
At that price, proberly be simple to get it and rule it out completely.
Careful though, the one I bought had caps that had leaked and destroyed pads and traces... this despite my asking beforehand about visible cap leakage
Damion is offline  
Old 03 January 2009, 14:24   #14
elmasta
Registered User
elmasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Uruguay
Age: 37
Posts: 38
@FOL
I have tried with downloaded games, Project X se was downloaded.


Here are two more vids showing sensible soccer, and body blows galactic.
(The quality is horrible because google vids re-encodes the material)
http://video.google.es/videoplay?doc...85380848&hl=es
http://video.google.es/videoplay?doc...11599110&hl=es
elmasta is offline  
Old 03 January 2009, 14:34   #15
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

FOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barry / UK
Age: 41
Posts: 5,753
Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmasta View Post
@FOL
I have tried with downloaded games, Project X se was downloaded.


Here are two more vids showing sensible soccer, and body blows galactic.
(The quality is horrible because google vids re-encodes the material)
http://video.google.es/videoplay?doc...85380848&hl=es
http://video.google.es/videoplay?doc...11599110&hl=es
Does seem odd, I would go with alexh's comment about getting another mobo. Unless you can see any damaged capacitors, and able to replace them.
FOL is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video Issues On A600 alexraffa Hardware mods 15 25 October 2016 10:57
A600 Obscure Fault Of The Day, Takes 15 Minutes To Switch On Loedown support.Hardware 6 02 January 2013 09:55
Bastard Fault A600 Composite Video Loedown support.Hardware 17 14 November 2012 11:55
A600 faulty video jimbob support.Hardware 16 20 September 2012 15:08
Help needed with a video fault on an A600 Merlin support.Hardware 15 20 November 2007 22:55

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.08315 seconds with 13 queries