English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 26 April 2020, 01:06   #1
ahandyman59
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tacoma, WA USA
Posts: 41
Best FileSystem for Amiga Today?

PFS3 seems to be the most reliable, but so far all the information I've read dates before AmigaOS3.1.4 came out. Apparently FFS in that system was improved to support larger hard drives and longer filenames, well larger and longer than AmigaOS 3.1...

Anyway is PFS3 better than FFS that comes with AmigaOS3.1.4?


And to add on to that, is there any way to get ReOrg to work with PFS3? I've been totally unsuccessful and it fails with various errors every time, even on a newly formatted compactflash drive...
ahandyman59 is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 02:02   #2
ExiE
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: T/C
Posts: 137
PFS3 is still the best filesystem so far for classic Amigas. FFS is still slower and if a write operation is interrupted by a crash or disk removal, disk must be validated which takes a very long time on large partitions.

As far as I know ReOrg doesn't handle partitions beyond the 4GB area.

There is some defrag utility for PFS3 on Aminet, but I am not sure how reliable it is.
ExiE is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 02:09   #3
AMIGASYSTEM
Registered User
AMIGASYSTEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brindisi (Italy)
Posts: 5,802
Also SFS is a very good File System I use it on all my RTG OS3 but also with AROS x86 and AROS 68k.
AMIGASYSTEM is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 07:00   #4
ahandyman59
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tacoma, WA USA
Posts: 41
Thanks again for the assist. I'll take a look on Aminet for some PFS3 defrag utilities. Going to stick with PFS, it seems.
ahandyman59 is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 08:00   #5
torsti76
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Germany, Baden-Wuerttemberg
Posts: 162
Also @thomas has a large collection of PFS centered tools on his homepage http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/download.html
He probably can name a safe defragmentation utility, too.
torsti76 is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 10:19   #6
Leander
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Catania
Posts: 65
Really interesting topic because i made same question to myself and others many times
A little tip that i think could be useful: FFS file system is of course less stable and safe but in my personal experience (A1200 2MB + CF 4/8GB, NO fast memory) i see that take less memory than SFS/PFS, so it means that with a basic A1200, with an essential TinyLauncher setup (with RAD mode enabled) you can run with success many old WHDLOAD ECS games, else you will get flickering led/screen and crashing on loading, so in my specific case has been the only possible choice.
Leander is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 10:22   #7
Leander
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Catania
Posts: 65
Post

And, on a side note, with a patched FFS (i can share it on The Zone for anyone interested) you can bypass the 4GB HD/CF size limit (for 8GB size you have to create at least two partition of less than 4GB, but System will recognize all of them, else with original FFS will recognize only first partition).
Leander is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 10:39   #8
torsti76
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Germany, Baden-Wuerttemberg
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
Really interesting topic because i made same question to myself and others many times
A little tip that i think could be useful: FFS file system is of course less stable and safe but in my personal experience (A1200 2MB + CF 4/8GB, NO fast memory) i see that take less memory than SFS/PFS, so it means that with a basic A1200, with an essential TinyLauncher setup (with RAD mode enabled) you can run with success many old WHDLOAD ECS games, else you will get flickering led/screen and crashing on loading, so in my specific case has been the only possible choice.
Yeah, that's true. PFS3 is especially useful on expanded machines. On a turbocard propped Amiga, the speed difference is also much more noticeable. In a setup with, say, a Cyberstorm PPC, the FFS could really become a bottleneck that impacts the speed of the whole system to a large degree.
torsti76 is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 11:28   #9
Mark sealey
Registered User

Mark sealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 330
I've always used PFS3...tried FFS with os3.1.4 could never get on with it.

With PFS3 I get almost 2.9 meg per second(sysinfo) with 020/33 IDE speed up ON.
Mark sealey is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 14:04   #10
daxb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,565
With FFS you should use a block size of at least 4096 bytes.

@Leander:
You should mention that you are using the old FFS version.
daxb is online now  
Old 26 April 2020, 15:30   #11
Leander
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Catania
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
With FFS you should use a block size of at least 4096 bytes.

@Leander:
You should mention that you are using the old FFS version.
Mmmm, i'm not sure what do you mean, in reality i use the patched FFS, not the original one (due to partitions size limit), maybe i miss / not understand something?
Leander is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 15:52   #12
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

indigolemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kelty, Fife, Scotland
Age: 37
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
Mmmm, i'm not sure what do you mean, in reality i use the patched FFS, not the original one (due to partitions size limit), maybe i miss / not understand something?
AmigaOS 3.1.4 has a completely reworked FFS - it is massively improved over the versions that came before, patched or not.
indigolemon is online now  
Old 26 April 2020, 17:05   #13
Leander
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Catania
Posts: 65
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
AmigaOS 3.1.4 has a completely reworked FFS - it is massively improved over the versions that came before, patched or not.
Ah ok, i don't know this, now is it comparable to SFS/PFS filesystems? I hope at least it's safer than the previous one.
Leander is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 19:52   #14
gulliver
BoingBagged

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The South of nowhere
Age: 42
Posts: 2,149
Please guys, never again suggest SFS as a good filesystem.

It has already known bugs that you may or may not trip on them, and they will make you lose you data, and there is no workaround once that happens.

SFS is unmantained on 68k, and confirmed as bugged.

It should have never even been discussed under this thread tittle.
gulliver is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 20:13   #15
torsti76
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Germany, Baden-Wuerttemberg
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Please guys, never again suggest SFS as a good filesystem.

It has already known bugs that you may or may not trip on them, and they will make you lose you data, and there is no workaround once that happens.

SFS is unmantained on 68k, and confirmed as bugged.

It should have never even been discussed under this thread tittle.
Sorry, can't help asking: Is it actively maintained on PPC? I'm only aware of the last patches @Doobrey created and these are version 1.280 for both, 68k and PPC. Also, it's hard to circumvent dealing with SFS once you've got a partition with OS4.1FE.
torsti76 is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 21:11   #16
coldacid
Registered User

coldacid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by torsti76 View Post
Sorry, can't help asking: Is it actively maintained on PPC? I'm only aware of the last patches @Doobrey created and these are version 1.280 for both, 68k and PPC. Also, it's hard to circumvent dealing with SFS once you've got a partition with OS4.1FE.

I think it might be. At least A-EON supplies an updated SFS as part of their Enhancer Software pack.
coldacid is offline  
Old 26 April 2020, 23:12   #17
gulliver
BoingBagged

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The South of nowhere
Age: 42
Posts: 2,149
On PPC it is maintained, and bug fixed, and there even is some recovery tool. But for 68k is a big and resounding NO.
gulliver is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to copy files from inside an Amiga hardfile to real filesystem markmarques support.WinUAE 4 10 April 2017 10:49
Amiga filesystem driver for Windows ? Overdoc Retrogaming General Discussion 9 09 May 2014 20:05
What is the ultimate filesystem for Amiga greater 4GB? RogerWilco09 support.Apps 3 22 April 2009 21:01
How can I format a Windows Partition With Amiga Filesystem? gordon support.WinUAE 4 23 March 2008 10:52

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.08848 seconds with 13 queries