English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 October 2019, 18:15   #1
CDTV1991

Testing my buggy Furia accelerator experience

My Furia accelerator experience has been pretty poor so far and the ClassicWB / BetterWB installs on various SD cards has not gone well, with random freezing, crashes and problems.

It doesn't seem to be a heat problem as it doesn't feel very hot to me. Date on the board is July 2019

A600, recapped, KA60 SD adapter, 1MB RAM expansion, cleaned CPU pins, connected on tight etc.

Is there a test program I can run to prove the Furia is working as expected or whether it is the cause of the problems?

I do have a DiagROM chip, will that help?

If I can't sort it out then the Furia has to go.
Old 04 October 2019, 20:08   #2
paul1981

If your A600 works fine without it, I suppose there's a chance of cracked solder joints on the 68000 itself, so when the Furia is attached it opens up these cracks causing intermittent contact. That was a problem known from the ACA days some years back now, but it's a rare one I believe.
Can you be more specific about the crashes and freezes? So what you're saying is that it doesn't act up any more or any less depending on how long the Amiga has been powered up?
I wonder if AmigaKit would mind you popping in and trying it out on one of their machines? Not sure whether you live near Cardiff or not but it was just a thought.
Old 04 October 2019, 20:32   #3
amigakit.com

We would be pleased to help. Anyone passing our offices is welcome.
Old 04 October 2019, 20:37   #4
CDTV1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
We would be pleased to help. Anyone passing our offices is welcome.
I was there last week! You did the re-cap.

I'm going to try the machine without the Furia for a few days, to see how it goes.
Old 04 October 2019, 20:51   #5
Nightshft

Did you try Frasers Systest? It's nice, quick and easy...

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1217778&postcount=5
Old 04 October 2019, 21:01   #6
CDTV1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
Did you try Frasers Systest? It's nice, quick and easy...

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1217778&postcount=5
I will try this. Can it be from Workbench instead of from an ADF?
Old 04 October 2019, 23:54   #7
CDTV1991

No Furia, just 1MB expansion fitted and IDE/SD adapter. Classic WB 68K installed on SD card, stable, only WHDLoad games that needs more memory don't work. Systest, all passed.

Furia fitted, SD boots ok, no icons respond, needs to be turned off

Furia power off, errors reported through boot, but WB still starts, only 2mb chip and 5.2mb other mem shows. Systest all passed .

Reset Furia again with Ctrl-A-A, shows 1.9 chip RAM, 9.4 other. Systest ok.

It's got to be a disk thing....?
Old 05 October 2019, 00:55   #8
CDTV1991

Here's a history of my testing tonight.

Overall it's improved as I've stayed caway from iGame

Furia fitted, reset again, full memory showing. Games that needed more memory run ok.

Reset, didn't boot

Reset again, didn't boot

Turned off, errors on boot, but worked ok after, but only showing 4mb other RAM

Reset, booted fine, all RAM back

Games working on

Reset, didn't boot
Reset again, didn't boot

Power off, booted ok loadmodule failed on boot, but WB starts ok

Games ok again

Reset again, book ok, all memory

This has all been with a 2GB SD Card and the "Game" menu, not igame or AGLaunch

Tried again with 16gb card with ClassicWB full

Only 4mb showing
Reset,8mb other mem showing, 2mb chip ram

Syndicate worked ok

Reset again, 8mb other RAM showing

Tried igame, syndicate, just got stuck on "writing to disk please wait"

Reset, now I get the purple disk insert boot screen

Reset again, WB boots

iGame again, stunt car racer, stuck again at "writing to disk", no other icons work

Reset again, wb boots ok. iGame speedball, starts game ok, exits ok with delete

AGlauncher starts lotus 1 ok

Reset, AGlauncher, stunt car racer, works ok

And that's it for tonight's testing
Old 05 October 2019, 02:02   #9
Nightshft

I don't have time right now (working) - just a quickshot of things that come to mind:

Do you have a working CF Card to test (IDE) too? (I know CF Cards sometimes dont work with the furia, but my experiences weren't that bad - some work fine)

What happens when you remove the SD and work from floppy?

Is your Loadmodule error with a CF in the PCMCIA Slot? I get this error only then.

I guess the Ram Waitstate jumper doesnt help?
(should work in both states IMHO)

It's more effort, but I think people already went to underclock the furia. From 33 down to 25 Mhz, I think by changing the crystal and I guess this could help.

You know this thread? http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=93547
Old 05 October 2019, 10:09   #10
CDTV1991

I'm just using SD cards, not CF as they didn't work.

I don't have any floppies to work from

I'll try again today
Old 05 October 2019, 11:04   #11
Mark sealey

Ok....what OS are you running ?

I did not get on with OS.3.1 had a nightmare with it....not much worked...never got the Furia's MapRom or ShadowRom to work....tried the Classic Workbench packs to some degree....but was unstable...!

OS3.1.4

Was almost like a magic wand....worked well and seemed faster....installed magic workbench etc....no major issues. Still not Rock solid though....with OS3.1.4 stuff just works out the box...with a OS3.1.4 kickstart rom things got better still...FuriaTune ShadowRom works....giving a nice speedup...WHDload works a treat....all good. ?

I need to know the following....

1..what brand of SD card do you use ?
2..what file system on sd card do you use ?
3..you using a standard PSU ?
3..what size is your boot partion ?

The Furia is a awesome all on one card...and needs fine tuning to get the best results.

My setup

A600 Furia rev2(white)
IDEtoSD adapter with KA60(?) Riser adapter
A603n chip ram card
Indivison v2
Wireless keybored adapter

SANDISK 32gb SD card formatted with PFS3-AIO...

800mb boot....the rest split into 2 partions....apart from a 200mb "os backup" partion And 100mb space at the end of the SD card unformatted (for some reason PSF3 likes this breathing space)

I have a facebook page with more info on....

https://www.facebook.com/21358012922...3180193930842/

Hang in there....help is here.

Kind Regards

Mark

I would also advise you NOT to remove the Furia too many times also...you could damage the Furia and/cpu in some way....i have removed my Furia 5 times in two years.

Last edited by Mark sealey; 05 October 2019 at 11:32.
Old 05 October 2019, 15:42   #12
CDTV1991

16GB SanDisk ultra MicroSD card, in adapter, then into a KA60 SD to IDE adapter. AmigaKit 1mb chip ram card and the Furia.

Running ClassicWB full set up with pfs3aio.2 partitions, one 500mb, the rest in the others I had similar instabilities using 2gb card and also with BetterWB.

I've seen an improvement today. Repeated successful game and demo starts and quits. Left it running 9fingers demo for 1hr and it was ok. Sometimes after exiting games or demos the icons are non responsive

However iGame does not work, just says "writing to disk" and freezes, needs a restart after.

Doing more testing now, all on the 16gb

I have some black PSU I bought from eBay, it's been perfect on my other amiga
Old 05 October 2019, 18:07   #13
Mark sealey

Ok..although BetterWB workbench is Good...in my Furia gave me all sorts of problems...where i had to format the boot partion to purge my system....I know it replaces the scsi.device with a patched one...and the icon.ibrary too...and some datatypes also....along with setpatch etc...after i installed it my icons were failing to display etc...hence the reformat.

I could never get it to work...even with the OS3.1.4 version.

As above my last partion has gap at the end....say about 200mb...its not much and you wont miss it...

Ive built my current workbench using classicWB3.9 with a custom 3 .9 rom.

What i als do is backup my boot partion somwhere else...."dh1sbackups/OSv1....OSv2 etc) so as i build the boot partion i back it up to that folder..osv1 will be a basic install...osv2 will be the same as V1 but with stuff added...and so on....this way you can "roll back" the boot partion build like pc system restore.....in the root of that folder i put a BuildLog.txt...this is a text file that contains info on the builds..what i have done to that Version....if that version has been tested..etc that way you know what you have done and if it works......!!

So..I would reformat and do a vanilla OS3.1 install...with normal disks....Then...

Install the updated/patched scsi.device from the Doobry's package.

Boot and check stuff....if all ok back it up and move onto the next step...

Install peter k's icon.library....fblit...then reboot....check....backup.....
Old 05 October 2019, 22:01   #14
paul1981

If you don't own any floppy's (or is it floppies?) then is there any chance you could setup your own clean boot partition with WinUAE or something? I'd set it up with Workbench 3.1 (let's use FFS with a 1GB partition to keep things simple), Furia software, CF transfer software (if you have a pcmcia cf adapter that is) and some other application software to test, but not before you establish that Workbench and all of it's software is running correctly.. ie prefs programs, utilities, Multiview, clock, ed, other c commands...just wait for something to go wrong. If it doesn't then start testing application software. Also install that test software that was previously mentioned.

You made mention of i-Game. That software is pretty bugged to be honest, so don't judge anything from that. Also, don't judge anything from WHDLoad either as there may be something wrong in your whdload config file or something, as tweaks are needed sometimes depending on the system. And to add to that, quite a few WHDLoad games are buggy too and some will refuse to work. At this stage, I would forget WHDLoad and certainly forget iGame. Test with real Application software.
Also, LoadModule... did you setup this existing system? Depending on what it's loading it could cause all sorts of bother.
Old 05 October 2019, 23:29   #15
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
If you don't own any floppy's (or is it floppies?) then is there any chance you could setup your own clean boot partition with WinUAE or something? I'd set it up with Workbench 3.1 (let's use FFS with a 1GB partition to keep things simple), Furia software, CF transfer software (if you have a pcmcia cf adapter that is) and some other application software to test, but not before you establish that Workbench and all of it's software is running correctly.. ie prefs programs, utilities, Multiview, clock, ed, other c commands...just wait for something to go wrong. If it doesn't then start testing application software. Also install that test software that was previously mentioned.

You made mention of i-Game. That software is pretty bugged to be honest, so don't judge anything from that. Also, don't judge anything from WHDLoad either as there may be something wrong in your whdload config file or something, as tweaks are needed sometimes depending on the system. And to add to that, quite a few WHDLoad games are buggy too and some will refuse to work. At this stage, I would forget WHDLoad and certainly forget iGame. Test with real Application software.
Also, LoadModule... did you setup this existing system? Depending on what it's loading it could cause all sorts of bother.
I couldn't get ffs(os3.1.4) to work very well on my Furia...always went back to pfs3.
Old 06 October 2019, 10:50   #16
CDTV1991

This is now running much better

Classic WB, 16gb card, WHDload is ok, igame is ok.

The simple Game menu is very slow to load, but there are lots of games in it

One minor issue is when I turn the machine on WB shows 4mb other RAM, then if I reset it will show 8mb.
Old 06 October 2019, 12:46   #17
majinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTV1991 View Post
... One minor issue is when I turn the machine on WB shows 4mb other RAM, then if I reset it will show 8mb.
I had a similar problem, by the end it was an issue with the reset circuit. I solved by replacing the 555.
Old 06 October 2019, 14:41   #18
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTV1991 View Post
This is now running much better

Classic WB, 16gb card, WHDload is ok, igame is ok.

The simple Game menu is very slow to load, but there are lots of games in it

One minor issue is when I turn the machine on WB shows 4mb other RAM, then if I reset it will show 8mb.
As below....not had that problem with my A600 Furia...do you use IDE speedup and ShadowRom ?
Old 06 October 2019, 15:35   #19
majinga

The IDE speedup works only with Gayle01
Old 06 October 2019, 18:44   #20
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by majinga View Post
The IDE speedup works only with Gayle01

Gayle01 ?