English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 June 2019, 11:47   #1
zzap64

Help identifying A1200 Blizzard PPC board specs

Hi,

I inherited an A1200 Blizzard PPC board with an 060 on it and SCSI (EWK-X30 94V-0).

I messed around with it a couple of years ago but haven't looked at it since then.

I'm trying to get the exact specs of it before I sell it, e.g. what Mhz is the PPC etc.

I have an A1200 with standard 3.1 (I think) Workbench so I'm looking for a program that will correctly fully identify this more "modern" hardware.

I believe I tried a version of SysInfo a couple of years ago and that didn't recognise it fully.

See attached images of the front and back.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work 100%. The A1200 it came with does have a fan attached and its using an A500 power supply, but there are random crashes initially, although they seem to reduce or stop when the machine has been on a few minutes. Again, it has been a couple of years since I last looked at it. I will be doing more testing of it soon.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited by zzap64; 14 June 2019 at 11:51. Reason: changing quotes
Old 14 June 2019, 12:14   #2
Vypr

I think you forgot to attach the images.
Old 14 June 2019, 12:24   #3
zzap64

I can see them. They are hosted externally, maybe you couldn't connect while you were reading the message? Can you see them now or with a reload?
Old 14 June 2019, 12:40   #4
Vypr

Managed to get the pictures, looks like my filter is blocking your external site.

Anyhoo, that looks like a Blizzard 603e+ with 64Mb of memory on the SIMMS and a 50Mhz 68060.

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/blizzardppc

The serial number on the board should tell you what the spec is unfortunately I can't see it from your photos, it should be under one of the memory SIMMS.
Old 14 June 2019, 15:14   #5
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

If you can make a really good and scharp picture of the crystal area we can "read out" the PPC speed...
Old 14 June 2019, 15:22   #6
Vypr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBase View Post
If you can make a really good and scharp picture of the crystal area we can "read out" the PPC speed...
The serial number should give us the the PPC speed, the first three characters indicate if SCSI is present, the speed of the PPC and the speed of the 68060. In the OP's case the first character will be an I since there is a SCSI controller in the picture and the 3rd will be H because we can see a XC68060RC50A with a 50Mhz crystal next to it, the 2nd character will give us the PPC speed:

A : 160Mhz PPC
C : 200Mhz PPC
D : 240Mhz PPC
Old 14 June 2019, 17:43   #7
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

So you have the serial number? No?
Old 14 June 2019, 18:34   #8
zzap64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypr View Post
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/blizzardppc

The serial number on the board should tell you what the spec is unfortunately I can't see it from your photos, it should be under one of the memory SIMMS.

Ta. I saw that site before but couldn't find the serial number on the board anywhere, but I didn't remove the SIMMs. I'll check if it's hiding under there!
Old 14 June 2019, 18:45   #9
zzap64

I also found the site https://www.bigbookofamigahardware.c...ct.aspx?id=154 before but again without the serial number I couldn't do much.....

Anyway, the number is IDHXXXX so it's a 240Mhz PPC.

Top end one, nice Pity it doesn't appear 100%. I'll have to test it again and see if I can see a pattern for the resets.

I don't suppose there's an easy way to test the PPC bit without installing some other OS etc.?
Old 14 June 2019, 20:50   #10
Vypr

Did you install the 68060 libraries?
Can you get to the setup page, just hold down the Escape key and it should bring you to the cards setup screen where you can change the SCSI and RAM settings.
Also, it could be the memory SIMM, I got mine with two 64Mb SIMMS and couldn't get it to boot at all. I then noticed one of the SIMMS was noticably hot so I removed it, now it works fine. Just waiting for replacement SIMMS in the post.
Old 15 June 2019, 16:39   #11
zzap64

Some of that sounds familiar, but it's been over two years. I'm planning to try it out again today or tomorrow. I think I still have a few notes from back then as well.

I'll report back when I have some results.
Old 15 June 2019, 23:10   #12
zzap64

First step is checking that the A1200 works nicely on its own, even although the extra fan is still attached and making noise. I'm not used to that type of thing on an Amiga!

Speedball II on floppy boots up nicely and no resets, just listening to the tune at the moment.

Something I noticed a couple of years ago is that lots of my Amiga floppies, original and "backups" don't work any more. No real problems so far with C64 disks and tapes and one would have thought the Amiga ones would last longer considering they are newer but I guess that data is compacted more and maybe more prone to losses...

Last edited by zzap64; 15 June 2019 at 23:11. Reason: typo
Old 16 June 2019, 01:09   #13
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzap64 View Post
I don't suppose there's an easy way to test the PPC bit without installing some other OS etc.?
There is a Boot Test Disk... http://powerup.amigaworld.de/index.php?lang=de&page=24
Old 17 June 2019, 18:12   #14
zzap64

Ta, will try to get that over to the A1200 and the drivers disk etc.

Although I would guess, even without them, with the card plugged in, it shouldn't reset the Amiga?

I found the manual in German ( http://powerup.amigaworld.de/files/m...lizzardppc.pdf ) but not an English version. Anybody know if one exists before I try to translate it bit by bit using Google Translate?
Old 17 June 2019, 23:06   #15
zzap64

Well I have spent the whole evening testing the thing. No real pattern to the crashes apart from possibility they may have stopped when I have taking out one 32Mb SIMM, but I have to test for longer. I still got a crash when I loaded WhichAmiga but apart from that the machine went for over 12 minutes with no crashes. (I switch it off then). If the single RAM still creates crashes, I'll post about the other tests afterwards.

It's great that I can mount the CF card from the Amiga with Linux Mint. Nice and handy to copy over files.

I watched the Boozoholics AGA / 060 demo, which worked well. Bit weird though! :-D

I don't have the 060 library in my SYS:libs but when running SysInfo, it shows it in the list of libraries, so I guess the card sideloads a lot of things into WB?

I also used the PPC test disk. That was disappointing, I was expecting some fancy demo not just a "OK" response. The WarpOS test always gives a GURU, even after the dialogue where I select "Terminate" for the PPC processes (IIRC).

It's a nice card and if it was just the 060 I'd probably keep it but I'm never going to use the PPC bit of it...
Old 23 June 2019, 18:57   #16
zzap64

Well, it didn't seem to be the RAM, same issues with no RAM or single SIMM. The A1200 doesn't seem to crash when the card is removed but does crash sometimes when it's disabled with the "2" option on bootup.

So I decided another test today, try the card in my other A1200 and there has been no crashes or freezes in that at all so far. I ran it for 30 minutes, messing about in WB and running the 060 demo etc.

I started the machine up again 25 minutes ago and it's still going strong.

I'm using the same WB CF card from the previous A1200 so that wasn't the issue.

It looks like it was the A1200, rather than the card etc. so that's good if a bit weird.

I think it's time to sell it at this stage anyway after a little more testing and get myself a 030 board with some RAM, which will be more than enough for my needs for a WHLoad box.
Old 23 June 2019, 23:18   #17
Vypr

On the board that doesn't work have you tried any timing fixes?
Basicvally you want to remove the SMD caps at E123C and E125C at a minimum.

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/am..._mobo_fix.html
Old 23 June 2019, 23:32   #18
zzap64

Funny, I came across the capacitor removal suggestion when looking for 030 accelerator cards today. Although since I have a Blizzard 1230 III anyway, I don't really need another accelerator board.

I can only use one Amiga at a time!

I was planning to sell the PPC card on eBay, but just noticed their default £650 seller limit (it's been years since I sold anything on it) so that seems to put an end to that idea. Amibay is probably the place for it anyway. I feel more attached to the card now that it seems to be working fine, although just a waste with me never using the PPC part of it.
Old 23 June 2019, 23:47   #19
Vypr

If you have an AmiBay account, put it on there, I think the going rate is about £900.
I bought mine (same model) for £1,100 but it had the Bvision addon which bumped the price up.
Not that I actually use the Bvision as I have it on a mediator setup with a Voodoo3 card.
Old 24 June 2019, 10:47   #20
zzap64

Yeah, I have seen a few previous sales, so that does seem around the price, especially as I'm now more confident that the thing works!

Thanks for everybody's help.