English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 June 2019, 16:59   #1
FLiP79

Wide resolutions for Workbench

Don't know where to post this question, let's say I'm talking about hardware

I have an Amiga 1200 with a Viper Expansion (16MB RAM + Coprocessor, no GPU extensions). I tried it with my Dell 16:9 (not 16:10) monitor that is capable to run 15khz resolutions. So I can use Workbench in "productivty" not-interlaced VGA mode and also games at their "TV" native resolution. Amazing.

I'd love to take another step and run Workbench in wide mode. I don't expect the native resolution of the monitor (1600x900) but a 1280x720 (not interlaced) would be amazing. Is it possible without additional graphic cards? Is there a way to achieve this, maybe with a custom Monitor file?

Thank you in advance
Old 22 June 2019, 20:21   #2
debiani386
New generation Amiga user

If its of any help, BoingBag 4 (http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/BestWB.htm) includes the monitor driver for the XTREME mode and that should give you something near a 16:9 compatible resolution.

Maybe there are better monitor drivers out there that someone else can mention? I only use 800x600 in NTSC Interlaced on my Indivision scandoubler.
Old 22 June 2019, 20:41   #3
thomas

http://aminet.net/driver/moni/HighGFX40_6.lha

Has a 1024x768 and 1280x720 mode. But your monitor has to sync really low to run these.
Old 22 June 2019, 20:49   #4
FLiP79

Quote:
Originally Posted by debiani386 View Post
If its of any help, BoingBag 4 (http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/BestWB.htm) includes the monitor driver for the XTREME mode and that should give you something near a 16:9 compatible resolution.
Thank you! I didn't know about these drivers. I run BetterWB and it doesn't include them, I hope I can simply copy the Monitor files on my system and try.
Even if the description says "New monitors drivers for native Amiga chipset" I looked on the web and seems that everyone talks about Xtreme and HD720 setups along with Indivision AGA (that I don't own)
Old 22 June 2019, 20:50   #5
FLiP79

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
http://aminet.net/driver/moni/HighGFX40_6.lha

Has a 1024x768 and 1280x720 mode. But your monitor has to sync really low to run these.
1280x720 would be perfect. What do you mean with "Sync really low"? The horizontal refresh? My Dell supports 15Khz
Old 22 June 2019, 23:00   #6
mark_k

You could just use PAL Super-High Res Laced, that gives a max of 1440×566 pixels with overscan (1280×512 without). Stretched to 16:9 the pixels will be slightly taller than they are wide, so fonts & icons will look less "squished" than with square-ish pixels.
Old 23 June 2019, 22:24   #7
debiani386

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLiP79 View Post
Thank you! I didn't know about these drivers. I run BetterWB and it doesn't include them, I hope I can simply copy the Monitor files on my system and try.
Even if the description says "New monitors drivers for native Amiga chipset" I looked on the web and seems that everyone talks about Xtreme and HD720 setups along with Indivision AGA (that I don't own)

It should be as simple as extract the monitor driver from the boingbag file and put it in DEVS:Monitors, making sure to add the DEVS:Monitors/<monitor driver name> to your S:Startup-Sequence and reboot.

The HighGFX driver syncs at 55hz vertical, 22.22khz horizontal. Most VGA monitors won't sync at this frequency, but if yours syncs at 15khz, I would expect this to work (though it may not, it may be that your monitor only syncs at 30khz/15khz and no where in between). Worth a try though.

The Indivision AGA is a scandoubler, which you may not need if your monitor works with the HighGFX or XTREME modes.
Old 24 June 2019, 08:56   #8
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by debiani386 View Post
making sure to add the DEVS:Monitors/<monitor driver name> to your S:Startup-Sequence and reboot.
There should be no modifications needed to the startup-sequence, unless you have removed the bit where it runs all of the monitor drivers automatically.
Old 24 June 2019, 11:19   #9
FLiP79

I copied the monitor drivers from http://aminet.net/driver/moni/HighGFX40_6.lha ... unfortunately they don't work with my monitor. I think it "only" supports 15/31khz, like Debiani thought :/
I will try also the ones from BoingBag4 but I'm sure it will be the same. At this point, the simplest way is to get a scandoubler... what do you think about this cheap alternative? [ Show youtube player ]
I'm not sure about the input and output resolution it can accept.
Old 24 June 2019, 11:32   #10
Steffest

Those cheap scandoublers are OK-ish for lo-res screens like games but if you aim for hi-res workbench screens they are useless.
As you already noticed: the HighGfx monitor presets are often talked about in combination with an indivision AGA.
That's because the only way you will get a decent video output with those "extreme" resolutions is with a decent internal scandoubler/FlickerFixer like the Indivision.
Not cheap but totally worth it IMHO: I'm running my 1200 with an indivision in 1280x720 video mode and I love it.
Again: this is only for Workbench and application use. I you use you Amiga mainly to play games, this is all overkill. (Allthough ... with your Dell monitor you probably still have some vertical striping on your screen, which will disappear when using a scandoubler)
Old 24 June 2019, 20:40   #11
FLiP79

You're totally right: I have that vertical striping, I thought it came from some old capacitor because this Amiga has not been recapped yet. Anyway... I will get the Indivision

My objective is to have a fantastic super-hi-res Workbench to use old and "new" apps, and then to expand it with networking and any other strange ideas hehe. Gaming is interesting and I will be happy to have it working (maybe also with a "random" monitor without particular features, because I currently use this Dell with my home desktop PC and I prefer to keep it where it is), but it will be a secondary use case, just like it has always been with my Amigas in the past.

Thank you very much!
Old 24 June 2019, 23:48   #12
debiani386

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLiP79 View Post
I copied the monitor drivers from http://aminet.net/driver/moni/HighGFX40_6.lha ... unfortunately they don't work with my monitor. I think it "only" supports 15/31khz, like Debiani thought :/
I will try also the ones from BoingBag4 but I'm sure it will be the same. At this point, the simplest way is to get a scandoubler... what do you think about this cheap alternative? [ Show youtube player ]
I'm not sure about the input and output resolution it can accept.

If my understanding is correct, the cheap scandoublers only adjust the horizontal sweep frequency such that it will display on a 31khz monitor. The cheap ones often have issues with colours missing, or the wrong colours being displayed. If I am not mistaken, some of the cheap scandoublers induce a delay, so the frame rate is delayed.

The Indivision MKII is what I have and works a treat for my needs, though I have had the problem on rare occasion where the scandoubler pops off the video chip (and yes, the scandoubler is bolted down), but its pretty uncommon in my experience.

>> There should be no modifications needed to the startup-sequence, unless you have removed the bit where it runs all of the monitor drivers automatically

Yeah I forgot that I removed this from my startup-sequence - I was testing some video drivers for my Voodoo 3 card and forgot to set it back.