English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 11 August 2011, 11:55   #1
Anderai

Hello...

Hi Everyone

Having lurked whilst trying to install ClassicWB in Winuae and my recently bought 1200 yesterday (I succeeded in managing both....eventually!) I thought it was time I registered.

I last had an Amiga 1200 (and a 500 before that) back in 1998 before the lure of the PC was too much and I went through a succession of desktop PCs and now eventually a laptop. I was always too much of a fan of the Amiga and despite having PS1, PS2, PS3 and Xbox 360 Slim, I still missed the Amiga.

So, recently a friend sold me his 1200 (packaged away for ten years in the loft) and that's why you're reading this....

I've been impressed with how much knowledge there is on this board and I have a feeling that I'll be counting on it again sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Andy

Old 11 August 2011, 12:02   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi Anderai and welcome to EAB!

Enjoy your stay
Old 11 August 2011, 20:38   #3
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Welcome, nice to have another member NOT from Englandshire!
Old 11 August 2011, 21:32   #4
DonAmiga

Hello and welcome

nice to see a fellow Scot on board
Old 11 August 2011, 21:46   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Andy, and welcome aboard!

If your new A1200 has a RAM card or accelerator with RTC in the trapdoor, be sure to check that the battery has either been removed or not leaked ASAP.

If there is any sign of leakage or corrosion, cut the battery away as quick as you can and clean up any residue with lemon juice and then wash it away with tap water and leave to dry thoroughly before reinserting it.

The battery only serves to update the system time and date.
Old 15 August 2011, 13:58   #6
Anderai

Thanks for the welcome guys and @ Prowler, I have checked the accelerator card and everything is fine. Should I remove the battery as a matter of course?

Old 15 August 2011, 22:47   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderai View Post
@ Prowler, I have checked the accelerator card and everything is fine.
That's better news than you could ever imagine. A leaking battery can be a disaster, especially on faster processor boards where the component density is so much greater and the printed circuit is correspondingly finer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderai View Post
Should I remove the battery as a matter of course?
If it's in very good condition, and you're intending to use the machine regularly, then it should be OK to leave it connected. Just be sure to check it from time to time for changes to the appearance of the battery, such as discolouration or salty deposits. At the first sign of trouble, remove the battery and replace it with a new one if you wish.

You would also be wise to remove the battery if you plan to put it into storage for any length of time.