English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 19 June 2012, 06:29   #1
predcon

(CD32 + AGA) Heimdall 2 graphic glitches

I'm having some trouble locking down the reason for a variety of graphic glitches while playing Heimdall 2 in WinUAE's emulated CD32. I'll list them in a bulleted list for easy reading.

1) If I load the game using Amiga Forever's CD32 mode, the game will run fine up until the point I start playing. At the start of the first level, I can see most of the status bar at the top, but with a lot of pixel artifacts all the way across.

1b) If I switch the collision detection from AF's default "Full" to WinUAE's default "Sprites and Sprites vs Playfield" (or if I just load the game using WinUAE's CD32 Quickstart option, which does the same thing, pretty much), I can see the whole of the screen, but the camera doesn't scroll along with my character as I move towards the edge.

1c) Eventually, the screen will start to pixellate and do what I can only describe as a loss of V-Hold. I wouldn't know what else to call it, since I haven't ever seen this sort of error since playing on an older CRT television set using an RF cable connection.

2) When playing the AGA version, much of the same errors occur (no camera movement, pixel artifacts, discoloration).

Is there a known configuration that definitely works with the CD32 version?

Old 19 June 2012, 12:27   #2
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I also just tried playing Heimdall 2 (CD32) using WinUE and it glitches very badly! I'm still using an older version of WinUAE (2.3.0).... About time i updated it i think

Anyway, the camera in Heimdall 2 drifts off and then all the colours go weird (lots of blue, purple, red etc...) and sometimes the bottom half of the screen turns to fuzz! The game is unplayable in this state and i've no idea what's causing it either
Old 19 June 2012, 16:17   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I can't see any glitches.

Latest beta, quickstart cd32 with or without cycle-exact. 2.4.1 (and older) non-ce quickstart sets fastest possible which wasn't such a good idea, it seems to work (no more screen scrolling getting stuck) if CPU mode is manually switched to approximate.
Old 19 June 2012, 23:11   #4
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I forgot to mention i'm running the CD32 'WHDLoad' version of the game via WinUAE... Will this make a difference?
Old 20 June 2012, 01:26   #5
predcon

Either switching manually to "Approximate" or turning on Cycle-Exact, or both, worked for me. Thanks!

Old 20 June 2012, 07:28   #6
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by predcon View Post
Either switching manually to "Approximate" or turning on Cycle-Exact, or both, worked for me. Thanks!
Have you tried switching between characters in the game? Using 'Cycle-Exact' gets rid of the scrolling and strange colour issues... But the screen goes slightly dark and light trails appear around the characters when you switch them.

Not really a problem for me though as i can run it on my actual CD32
Old 20 June 2012, 17:15   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
Have you tried switching between characters in the game? Using 'Cycle-Exact' gets rid of the scrolling and strange colour issues... But the screen goes slightly dark and light trails appear around the characters when you switch them.
This needs more detailed instructions because I won't read manuals or attempt to actually play this game
Old 21 June 2012, 00:21   #8
predcon

The screen is supposed to dim when you're accessing the topside menubar. When I switch characters, it fades out and then back in after brief loading period. No problems afterwards.

Old 21 June 2012, 04:48   #9
ransom1122

I used Frodes Emulator FS-UAE And it plays fine.
Old 21 June 2012, 10:12   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Which version? (A1200, CD32 or WHDLoad)
It must be only configuration difference because emulation cores should be same.
Old 18 November 2014, 13:00   #11
amyren

I notice that this topic is quite old, but I just tried Heimdall 2 myself and found the same problem. Google directed me here when searching for answers.

I use the HWA version of the game, as downloaded from hobrings site.
For they who doesnt know about HWA, it is a ready to play compilation of amiga games. You download the main hwa.exe program and installs that first, then download from a list of more than 200+ games that are compiled as .exe files ready to install. You will get a startmenu entry, and the games will autostart winuae and load the game with the pre-set config.

However, Heimdall to did start, but did not autoscroll and when playing a little (or just by selecting the female character) the graphics error apear.
The winuae.exe version provided with HWA is currently v.2.70. I did try to download the most recent winuae 2.81 and also the experimental 64bit version. Both had the same graphics errors, but even worse than on the v2.70. (it apears earlier in the game with the newest versions).
Then tried a couple of older versions I had on disk. v2.40: The errors are the same

Then I found version WinUAE 2.33, and now the errors was gone!
Scrolling and all works fine. I only played the first screens though, so I dont know if it will apear later in the game, but it looks good so far.

Old 26 November 2014, 16:14   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I still can't duplicate any graphics glitches using proper compatible CD32 config. (=quickstart CD32 with best compatibility, didn't notice anything interesting even in middle compatibility)

Missing information: correct config? instructions how to duplicate it (how long it needs to be played and so on), does it only happen in some specific situations/level and so on..