English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which Sierra Quest series is your fave?
Hero's Quest 3 8.33%
King's Quest 5 13.89%
Police Quest 6 16.67%
Space Quest 11 30.56%
Leisure Suit Larry 11 30.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 July 2001, 22:05   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Sierra series

Ok. A poll. As you know Sierra on Line produced 4 major series of quest games for various platforms. The best being, of course, Amiga
Of these 4 series, which one is your fave? Lets discuss memories, problems, hints, etc
Old 27 July 2001, 22:57   #2
RCK
Administrator

I vote for the King Quest series, cause I know much more all the KQ episodes than the others sierra series.

moreover, KQ1 was one of my first adventure game : one great classic !
Old 27 July 2001, 23:03   #3
Amiga1992

Space Quest, hands down. Frigging hilarious, full of irony, and sarcastic comments about your poor self. A true gem
Old 28 July 2001, 00:15   #4
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

You forgot Leisure Suit Larry!

I had the pleasure/misfortune of seeing supposedly this game with great graphics on a PC when it first came out, my friends raved about it. Personally the c64 had better sound and graphics etc, but the game is strangely quite addictive (apart from killing you if you do the slightest mistake!)

If you add the Larry series I will vote for that rather than those more serious ones

And I actually managed to complete the first game, just none of the others...
Old 28 July 2001, 00:44   #5
Amiga1992

Yep, Larry had to be added, and so I did... But lets not make this like the Flightsims poll, which ended up with about 20 entries I won't add any more...

BTW, on teh Space Quest series, the best games were the first two, and not the SQ1 remake. I loved to type words, the point'n'click interface screwed up the feeling.
Old 28 July 2001, 01:31   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, I voted for the LSL series, but only because it's the one I played the most of the lot. Quite frankly, I hated Sierra games because even on the Amiga, they insisted on using that godawful EGA palette (like if life only came in that few colors, purple and pink would be amongst them!)

I think I hate Sierra games should have been a choice, but I am not recommending adding it since I hate them the most and still voted on one...
Old 28 July 2001, 01:43   #7
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Aww, Twist
Hehheh...I agree on the poor graphics of the series, except that KQ 5 and 6, Space Quest 4 and Police Quest 3 had far, far superior graphics.
Old 28 July 2001, 01:57   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, then. Another flaw (of many) with their 'prized' game engine, and that is their code is so poor. A tutorial on how to un-optimize gameplay. Which is why their games are so sluggish. They have no clue about graphics compression (look how many disks their 'good graphics' games are). I can only guess that they are using uncompressed bitmaps, which is very un-Amiga. And obviously they are using a high level language (Basic? Modula? Ada?) which incorporates a lot of system crap that no game needs, so it eats up precious memory and resources, which assembly language games have better control of (when they take over the system). But no, it's just shovelware from the PC.
Old 28 July 2001, 06:36   #9
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Thumbs up How can you choose

I love all of Sierra's adventure game series' as adventure is my favourite gaming genre. I have probably spent half of my life playing all the games from those series', the only ones I haven't played are LSL 7 and KQ 7+8.

Oh, and to answer your question, my very fav series is prolly Space Quest. The theme song, the humour, the numerous parodies of movies, the style, the puzzles and the overall fun factor all add up for a fantastic series of games.
Old 28 July 2001, 13:16   #10
Walker

Most of the alternatives have one thing in common; for each sequel added the game quality gets worse.

I give my vote to Space Quest, only because of the great humour in it.

In general, I have some kind of love/hate feelings about the Sierra games. Most of the time I enjoyed playing them, but they have a bunch of really annoying features.

As an example I remember playing Larry 2, standing on the top of the volcano in the last part of the game. It was obvious what you had to do to complete the game, but... wait... how do I lit this darn molotov cocktail... I have no matches!!!! When was my last save....?

Those of you that have played the game may remember that the matches had to be found BEFORE you left the boat. All my save games were from the island.... [Restart game? Y/N]
Old 28 July 2001, 14:30   #11
Drake1009

I voted for the hero's quest games (Sure hope it was also quest for glory, I think it had 2 names).

I liked the way there were multiple ways to solve a puzzle in the game. You had all these "sub-quests" you could take if you wanted to to earn money. I especially had great fun with the first game in the series making money and then buying a spell which would allow me to (Hopefully) gain more money. Of course I didn't complete everything in the game, I skipped a few things, but I really liked the way you had multiple answers to puzzles which allowed you to complete the game in another way if you didn't know the best way. Only completed the first game though.

As for LSL, well I bought the compilation (PC) because of some distant memory of the game. I didn't really like it as much as I liked the hero's quest games. As for LSL 2. I never made it to the island because I never got off the boat. Every time I would try to leave I would end up in that darn raft and dry up in no time. I figure I'd need some sun-block and also think I might have found it in the barber's shop, but I just didn't know the word to look for and thus never got it.

I think Space quest has a funny concept, unfortunately I never played other games in the series than 4 and 6. Both were really hard and I haven't played far in either of them.
With my version of SQ4 there was a solution to the first part of the game, but no matter how close I followed the instructions I always ended up getting shot anyway. He just wouldn't hide and wait.
Old 28 July 2001, 21:47   #12
Amiga1992

If you want hard, try SQ2. I think it is one of the hardest of the lot. You must do some pixel-perfect movement, which was not very funny becasue of the shitty colission detection. I agree with Twistin that all their programs were PC shovelware, but teh first two Space Quests I like a lot. I played them first on the Apple IIGS, and when I got my Amiga I didn't doubt in getting them.
Old 07 September 2001, 14:59   #13
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Yeah, trying to get around that stupid tentacle monster without touching it is almost impossible. Sierra games ver lacked frustration, but they never lacked humour and great puzzles either. Love you, Sierra!

*Mwaaa*

I mean old Sierra ('96 and before), not new, gay Sierra.
Old 07 September 2001, 17:36   #14
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

It would have to be the LSL games. Probably 'cause it was the first graphic adventure I'd enjoyed playing.

I'd agree with Twisting Ghost that a lot of translations to the Amiga weren't that good-but then Sierra weren't really worried about versions other than the PC,I guess.

Although owning all of the series on PC now, I still think LSL 2 on the amiga was the best version period-the speed was okay, disk shuffling wasn't too bad & there were a couple of good sound samples scattered throughout.
Old 07 September 2001, 17:55   #15
icycool
Banned

I vote for the Space Quest series, especially SQ3
Old 07 September 2001, 18:57   #16
Amiga1992

The tentacle bastard!

Quote:
Originally posted by Burge
[B]Yeah, trying to get around that stupid tentacle monster without touching it is almost impossible.

move... save... move.. OUCH!... restore... move... move..move... ouch!! FUCK I DIDNT SAVE!!!

Old 07 September 2001, 19:22   #17
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

If there is one game I'd vote for, it would be the King's Quest 5. Graham is absolutely pitiful in this one, a regular loser. Cedric the gay ass owl was funny too..I felt like shooting the damn bag o feathers.
It was funny seeing Graham fall into a moat, down a staircase, into a dragon's mouth etc in the series.
Also, and APFelon will appreciate this, the plot of KQ 5 has the evil wizard hijacking the entire castle and family, ala Steven Segal or Chuck Norris.
The plot stunk.
Old 07 September 2001, 19:45   #18
Paul
RIP Friends

I had King's Quest 5 on my Amiga 600, but it kept crashing with a stack overflow if I remember correctly. Anyway the one thing I hated was the desert. I still cannot belive I mapped every screen of the dersert out.

I gave up and used a walkthough in the end when I got the PC CD-ROM version with speech.

I was a bit disappointed when I got KQ8 as it was all in 3D and was more action fighting.
Old 07 September 2001, 19:55   #19
icycool
Banned

Slightly off topic here, I wish there was a Conquest of Camelot series so I could vote for it
I finished that game in 1 sitting over 2 days it was so good
Old 23 October 2001, 23:02   #20
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Another thing, King's Quest 4 featured king Graham's blonde sexpot of a daughter going out into the other dimension and saving the day. Women's lib. I understand one of the 2 people responsible for the series is the wife in a husband and wife team.