English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 November 2005, 22:45   #41
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von würst
I dont know..But it looks like its made with the same engine.
i think its some sort of honour, at least.. statue is always honour
but maybe not, just my opinion.
Old 01 December 2005, 09:10   #42
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von würst
I dont know..But it looks like its made with the same engine.

never...

lionheart engine works more with the copper than this game...
Old 01 December 2005, 15:23   #43
Npl

Its one of the best games on the Amiga IMHO.

Sadly, it couldve been even better. I played a demo before it was released (I have no clue where I got it from, mustve been a cover disk/CD from a German Amiga-Mag), featuring a later level where those pumpkin-headed guys are running around. The animation of them was as smooth as the player`s sprite, way better than edgy one in the final game. I guess they dropped quite a few frames for fitting it on 4 Disks or into less RAM.
Old 02 December 2005, 15:52   #44
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk Nieborg. Lionheart GFX artist
Hi Alex,

How are you doing? In fact i do remember Cedric. I got a thing for always remembering the most useless stuff, but anyways.... When i was running around a german game convention back in '92 or something i got introduced to some austrian guys/publishers who did this game. You had loads of small companies popping up back then manufacturing b-grade games. I was already working on Flink at that time.

You can say that the game was heavily inspired by Lionheart and it shows. Nothing wrong with that btw. I remeber they also wanted a comment from me on this but can't exactly recall what i said. Anyway i got nothing to do with this game.

Cheers, Henk.
Henk Nieborg's 2D gfx are great even today.
Old 07 December 2005, 02:19   #45
wanderer
I want an A1000

For me, Lionheart is one of the best Amiga games ever. Note the absolutely fantastic anti-turrican music. Thalion was great. And I love the fact that they had this 'graphical mark' in their games, Flink, Ghost Battle, Lionheart, they looked and sound much alike. Sure, it's probably the same artists, but feels very... professional for me. And a sign of quality.

Last edited by wanderer; 07 December 2005 at 02:29.
Old 07 December 2005, 10:41   #46
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Flink (not a Thalion Game), Lionheart and GhostBattle were all moused by Henk Nieborg.
Old 07 December 2005, 12:11   #47
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Strange to hear that this game has not a good playability, because it's smooth straight
to the end....

I don't agree at all about the difficulty, as i can finish the game in the 3 difficulty modes without losing a life..... All the enemies are SCRIPTED, they always do the same things most of the time even if they throw themselves at you for many of them.

The secret and key to finish the game is to master sword movements, and pick sword pieces to get a powerfull sword, and most of all WAIT FOR THE ENEMIES TO COME and
then kill them.

any replies are welcome to my posts ^^
Old 07 December 2005, 13:57   #48
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver
The secret and key to finish the game is to master sword movements, and pick sword pieces to get a powerfull sword, and most of all WAIT FOR THE ENEMIES TO COME and
then kill them.
T R U E
Old 07 December 2005, 18:00   #49
PiCiJi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk Nieborg. Lionheart GFX artist
Hi Alex,

How are you doing? In fact i do remember Cedric. I got a thing for always remembering the most useless stuff, but anyways....
I like Cedric. lots of riddles, much and varied levels, nice graphic
Old 07 December 2005, 20:12   #50
Calabazam

Beautiful game indeed but poor and slow controls.
I like Beast more than this one. Beast is a technically perfect game.
Old 07 December 2005, 20:14   #51
gifgit
Retarded and dribbling

Lionheart was graphically superb(apart from the weird animation of the main sprite.)but,beast was faster paced and more rewarding IMHO.
Old 29 December 2005, 09:04   #52
blade002
Zone Friend

It is completely beyond me how people can label Beast as the better out of the 2 ??. Beast was WAY too difficult ( Beast 2 was impossible ) and although it was technically and sonically brilliant. It didnt raise a candle to Lionheart!.

This isnt a comparison as to when each game came out!. wether they are 6 years apart or 1 year apart makes no difference!. i think the point that was trying to be made to begin with, was that this game throughout the Amiga's life had the best Graphics overall!!..

People say that beast had parallax and and better sprites.. etc.. but take a "close" look at Lionheart and notice how EVERY single line on your screen is moving in parallax!.. Beast only had about 6 levels of it... Lionheart blows it away!.. not to mention pressing "I" on your keyboard, managed to give you interlacing to blend the copper even closer together!!...

A friend of mine back then who owned an Amiga, Megadrive, SNES & PC.. called me over the phone and was virtually yelling, asking me i had seen the Demo of Lionheart from The One Magazine!... He just kept saying that this is like SNES Mode 7 graphics & that he couldnt believe it was on an A500 !!!... he was an Amiga nut like me, but he was also a Megadrive & SNES nut as well, and for him to call up the way he did and say how this is comparable if not better than anything he has seen on the SNES, it was quite a rare thing!.

its sound was so Orchestral!!.. So some people didnt take a liking too it!. Why because it was "different" to anything youve ever heard before in an Amiga game!!.. it was very original, and too me was very fitting and proffesionally done!.

Gameplay wise how is beast better??.. Lionheart was perfectly playable, and i find it laughable how the very people who bag the crap out of Lionheart, are the same people who say they couldnt play past the 1st or 2nd level!... Do you honestly understand how much better Lionheart gets!!????..

Comparison's in Animation too compared to Beast as well... in Beast ( other than the main character ), they had about 3 frames of animation!.. in Lionheart it looks as though they have about 20 or 30 at times... and YES, i advise once more that you play past the 1st and 2nd levels to get a true idea of the amount of work that went into this game!.

Just because for some people this wasnt their style of game, does not mean that this game wasnt one of the BEST EVER on the Amiga!. I too could never fathom why this never got the praise it should have got back then!?.

Controls were great in Lionheart!.. you could hack, crouch, do a 180 degree spin, jump and lunge down with your sword, you could hang from overhead ropes like on a monkey bar, ride a dinosaur, fly a dragon, slide!.

Now lets look at beast. punch, crouch, jump kick & fly !?..

I know which game i would rather be playing!..

There was certainly something wrong in the industry back then when it came to who got credit and who didnt!. Take a look at the game "Zool". It was the biggest pile of steaming shit ever, but it was given great reviews, it was called techincally stunning????.. and that it was the Amiga's answer to Sonic!?.. give me a #@$@$ break!.

Lionheart wins hands down, and if anyone says otherwise, too me they are just being biased!.

( I still love beast 1 though!. it has fond memories for me! )

Last edited by blade002; 29 December 2005 at 09:27.
Old 29 December 2005, 09:48   #53
Ironclaw
Banned

wtf, is this thread back again?.... oh well, time for me to leave a post aswell.

Why has Lionheart be wronged?.... I think it's a great game with perfect controls, the game is smooth and has awesome graphics and animations.. and sound.....

it's much better than any of the sotb series.
Old 29 December 2005, 10:25   #54
SWOS

looks like a cool game .. never played it or heard of it before...

Old 29 December 2005, 11:21   #55
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

well, time to play it SWOS you will see what blade002 mean
Old 30 December 2005, 16:24   #56
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Sigh.I don't believe too many earlier postings attempt to necessarily argue the technical merits of Lionheart vs SOTB. What is very nicely argued out by Galahad, Akira & co. is the relative merits about how the games are being compared. Certain postings questioning people's preference for SOTB, or questioning it's commercial success vs Lionheart's (lack) thereof ignore the main points by Galahad & co.-when the two games were released.

Lionheart was released years after SOTB was relased. By the time of Lionheart's release, the 16bit consoles of the SNES/Megadrive were taking the hearts & minds of the gaming kiddies, along with platform jumpy romps. The Amiga lacking Mario & Sonic meant that Amiga fans were desperate to jump onto any would-be Amiga mascot hence the success of Zool,James Pond/Robocod etc. Indeed,SOTB's programmers Reflections showed the benefits of their own programming advances from their SOTB day's with their own platform game effort "Brian the Lion", with all sorts of gimmicky consolesque hardware tricks on the Amiga.

Way back when SOTB was unleashed was a different story-given most peoples owned a C64/speccy/cpc, or the ST, SOTB with its huge sprites, scrolling landscapes & classical tunes was truly something that showed the Amiga hardware off at its best,AT THAT TIME! As others have merely tried to point out, technical differences/improvements are to be expected-but ragging on what was considered a favoured Miggy showcase item (SOTB) to brag to mates about (& what was widely recognised as a successful title),isn't going to change the history of which was the more successful game.

In a modern comparison, GTA S.A. & Vice City absolutely dump on GTA 3 from a great height technically-does that make the latter,crap? Of course not. Each had its great gameplay merits/detractions in the time of their release.
Old 22 January 2006, 23:20   #57
adamst85

Lionheart - The LEGEND!!. One of my alltime gems. Completed without cheating with two endings. Superb graphics, music. Difficult control but very enjoyable if you are experienced with it. Great level design!!! Bosses awesome!! Great non-platform levels!. 10/10 - the best serious platformer/slashem up on amiga!. Cedric - good 7/10 but... more adventure and level design was average.. Greetings and sorry for my english!

LIONHEART - MASAKRUJE JAK NIC!! JEDNA Z NAJLEPSZYCH GIER NA AMIGĘ WSZECHCZASÓW!! (sorry for polish )
Old 01 February 2006, 15:31   #58
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Bippy & fellow mods, I think we've reached an impasse on this one,have we not?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kitten.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	10113  
Old 01 February 2006, 15:38   #59
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

aww
Old 02 February 2006, 00:35   #60
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver
Strange to hear that this game has not a good playability, because it's smooth straight
to the end....

I don't agree at all about the difficulty, as i can finish the game in the 3 difficulty modes without losing a life..... All the enemies are SCRIPTED, they always do the same things most of the time even if they throw themselves at you for many of them.

then kill them.

any replies are welcome to my posts ^^
Oh master of Lionheart , care to contribute with a longplay movie for my site www.recordedamigagames.org ? ..