English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 14 June 2018, 18:22   #1
Daff
Zone Friend

Interview with Erik Hogan

The magazine Obligement publish today an interview with Erik Hogan, one of the few game developers on Amiga who has already published some goodies like his Special Editions of old commercial games and is about to release a new action game called AlarCity.

Interview in english:
http://obligement.free.fr/articles_t...twhogan_en.php

Interview in french:
http://obligement.free.fr/articles/itwhogan.php
Old 15 June 2018, 07:43   #2
kamelito
Zone Friend

Nice interview, if not too late it will be interesting to know what tools has been used for coding, music, GFX, why AGA only, possible port to OCS/ECS, how far is he pushing the Amiga, lmitations he encountered How do they work together, IRL, via Internet, how do they keep being motivated...

Last edited by kamelito; 15 June 2018 at 08:00.
Old 15 June 2018, 08:11   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I think earok will answer all those questions here soon
Old 15 June 2018, 09:11   #4
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I think earok will answer all those questions here soon
You know me too well haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Nice interview, if not too late it will be interesting to know what tools has been used for coding, music, GFX, why AGA only, possible port to OCS/ECS, how far is he pushing the Amiga, lmitations he encountered How do they work together, IRL, via Internet, how do they keep being motivated...
  • Coding: I use Blitz Basic more or less exclusively, with little bits of ASM here and there for speed.
  • Music: I don't do anything in this arena, my collaborators use ProTracker I believe
  • GFX: I only do little bits and pieces graphically, again that's mostly the realm of my collaborators. When I need to do graphic manipulation, I normally do it in Paint Shop Pro on PC, and then use ADPro to manipulate the image to get the palette, number of bitplanes and special features (HAM, EHB) I want.
  • Why AGA only: At the moment AlarCity is the only AGA exclusive project from either myself or PixelGlass. AlarCity uses two AGA only features - 8 bitplanes (2x 4 bitplane dual playfields) and 32 pixel wide sprites. An OCS port is possible but would likely need some cutbacks in either performance or graphical fidelity, probably both. RTG is also another possibility for a future update.
  • How far am I pushing the Amiga: That's quite a hard one to answer, I'm no where near as capable at squeezing the Amiga as a demoscener but I'd like to think there's some interesting qualities in the projects I work on nonetheless.
  • Limitations he encountered: The primary one would be ChipRAM I guess, getting all of the graphics and audio assets that you want in a game can be difficult because of that limitation (and thus requires creative solutions). The performance limitations of the blitter and the 68000/68020 processors can be frustrating too.
  • How do they work together: Internet only, I'm based in New Zealand but the rest of the people I work with are based in places like Greece, Australia, the US, Poland, the UK and a few others, so I haven't met any of my collaborators face to face.
  • How do they keep motivated: I think the number one thing is the Amiga community really appreciates what we do (and in turn we really appreciate the massive support we've seen).
Old 15 June 2018, 09:25   #5
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
  • How do they work together: Internet only, I'm based in New Zealand but the rest of the people I work with are based in places like Greece, Australia, the US, Poland, the UK and a few others, so I haven't met any of my collaborators face to face.
Nooly (musician) is a friend of mine, lives in Czech Republic (Central Europe).
Old 15 June 2018, 09:59   #6
Gzegzolka

Great article
Old 15 June 2018, 10:09   #7
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
[/LIST]Nooly (musician) is a friend of mine, lives in Czech Republic (Central Europe).
Yup, did for us the title music for Alarcity
Old 15 June 2018, 10:18   #8
kriz

Great interview, + for extra answers Earok !!
Old 15 June 2018, 11:30   #9
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Somehow I read 'Hulk Hogan' and now my disappointment is immeasurable
Old 15 June 2018, 11:37   #10
DamienD
Banned

Hahahahaha
Old 15 June 2018, 13:53   #11
kamelito
Zone Friend

Thanks for answering

One more thing, how did you met all the guys in the team? How does the project started?
Old 15 June 2018, 19:38   #12
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Well about music i use Milkytracker on Windows since have no real Amiga here in US but i guess Tsak uses protracker
Old 16 June 2018, 01:55   #13
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Thanks for answering

One more thing, how did you met all the guys in the team? How does the project started?
"Through EAB" is the short answer, the longer answer is that there's a story specifically for how I got working with Tsak. He reached out to me with a private message after I started working on Giana SE and offered his help, and ultimately because of his assistance (he ultimately did the bulk of the work), Giana SE ended up looking fantastic