English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 10 November 2010, 17:41   #1
source
Zone Friend

faulty 4000 daughter card???

How can you tell if your daughter card is working properly? Does it just not recognize zorro csrds? Can if be that no matter what is installed it will recognize it or have the card work as a zorro II? The reason I ask is that I can't seem to get deneb to work other than in zorro II mode. It deneb is not recognized with pio or dma device.
thanks
Old 10 November 2010, 17:44   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Wont be much help to you but I have the same problem with my PicassoIV, it only works in Zorro2 mode and some other Zorro cards don't work at all. So I've got another Daughter Board on the way in the hope it solves my issues.

What Super Buster Revision to you have by the way?

Steve.
Old 10 November 2010, 18:22   #3
mech

The zorro 3 card should autoconfig just by plugging it in. the same slots work as zorro2 or 3. If your having troubles first try the card in all the other slots,if the logic on the daughter card is broke, it may work in 1 slot and not others. Assuming you checked the backplane and it works in no slots as zorro3(assuming u have the deneb jumpered right) more than likely its a bad buster chip or other problem.remember buster 11 can only have 1 busmaster,so if your running a fastlane,zoram,or picasso IV(or 4091 scsi in 4000T) etc you may have trouble on buster 11, buster 9 i believe can have multiple bus masters so its not a problem(it has other drawbacks..).Rev. 3.0 A3640 board may play some part in troubles. Warren block's a4000 guide is handy:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/a4000hard/excrdnot.html
and:
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/a4000hard/z3prob.html

I'm not sure why but The boot animation in the deneb flash caused me many headaches before i deleted it on my A4000.
Does the card show up in early startup as working?

Good luck!
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
How can you tell if your daughter card is working properly? Does it just not recognize zorro csrds? Can if be that no matter what is installed it will recognize it or have the card work as a zorro II? The reason I ask is that I can't seem to get deneb to work other than in zorro II mode. It deneb is not recognized with pio or dma device.
thanks
Old 15 November 2010, 08:00   #4
source
Zone Friend

it recognizes the card in the early boot, but when I load trident and attempt to link the device pio or dma it does not recognize any hardware. It will find it if you use the zorro2 device. I currently have a socketted buster 11.
Old 16 November 2010, 19:22   #5
orange

I think I got faulty daughterboard/riser card too, mine a4000 gurus often.
Old 20 January 2011, 21:33   #6
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
I think I got faulty daughterboard/riser card too, mine a4000 gurus often.
"My Zorro III not working" post describes exactly the same problem.

With any Zorro III card the machine will guru on power-on.

With Zorro II (like Deneb forced to Z2 mode, and using denebZ2usb.device) the Deneb will work and come online (usb works).

But only in Z2 mode...nothing Zorro III works anymore.

I tried swapping riser (backplane), buster chip, power supply, none of that fixed it, so it must be something else on the A4000 motherboard that is not working.
Old 21 January 2011, 02:37   #7
source
Zone Friend

I have not had a chance to persue the issue. I have 2 A4000's and 1 4000T ,but I have only tried it in one of the A4000s. If I get any info I will make sure that I post it.
Old 21 January 2011, 21:58   #8
orange

er, in my case it wasnt the riser card. i wasted money on new one, but a4000 worked the same.
it was either cpu slot connector (cs mk 1 is very fiddly) , wrong maxtransfer&mask or cpu060 libs.
Old 24 January 2011, 15:57   #9
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
er, in my case it wasnt the riser card. i wasted money on new one, but a4000 worked the same.
it was either cpu slot connector (cs mk 1 is very fiddly) , wrong maxtransfer&mask or cpu060 libs.
Well in mine it wasn't the buster, riser, memory, or cpu card, because I swapped all of those out with known working parts (from another 4000).

So it's something on the motherboard....works perfectly fine in Zorro 2 mode, though. Guru's at power-on if any Zorro III cards are installed though