English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 18 November 2003, 21:53   #21
Echo

I'm fairly experienced with Windows networks, this just seems really long winded.

Thanks for the step by step guide - I think I see the problem. "Gateway Pri" and "Gateway" are ghosted out on my screen. However, I know I've put the gateway in somewhere and it must be aware of that, because I can get in the router's web configurator as I've mentioned.

But perhaps it means IBrowse is somehow blocked from it.

Why would these settings be ghosted?

Thanks.
Old 18 November 2003, 22:04   #22
thomas

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
I'm fairly experienced with Windows networks, this just seems really long winded.

Thanks for the step by step guide - I think I see the problem. "Gateway Pri" and "Gateway" are ghosted out on my screen. However, I know I've put the gateway in somewhere and it must be aware of that, because I can get in the router's web configurator as I've mentioned.

But perhaps it means IBrowse is somehow blocked from it.

Why would these settings be ghosted?

Thanks.

If pri is 0 the gateway IP is ghosted. Change it to 1 and it will become available.

If pri is ghosted too, you've got a problem
Old 18 November 2003, 22:20   #23
Echo

Gahhh, that's all it was :eek

Working fine now, I'm surfing with the miggy

Edit: And this was typed on it. Screen is really cramped at 640x480, and some buttons are all over the place but it's pretty cool anyway

Last edited by Echo; 18 November 2003 at 22:28.
Old 19 November 2003, 01:01   #24
Echo

Also got SMB-Connect up too now

Not quite as bad as I thought setting up. It's rather flakey though, often locks up the A1200 after a few transfers.

Still, it'll only be the odd file. I figure I'll still backup to zip disk else I won't have network support to restore if I backup to a PC drive.

Oh and Aminet is pulling 118KB/s down with IBrowse
Old 11 June 2005, 07:06   #25
Chaeo
Monkey Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
(snip...)
IP address = 194.25.2.129
Save Settings

I hope this helps.
Thanks for this, had MiamiDX up and running perfectly within a couple of minutes. I originally never bothered with it as the Config program in Miami
always got so far and then went 'busy pointer' forever, so it wouldn't complete. Doing it manually in main Miami was fine though. I had previously been using Genesis, but no matter what I did with it I was getting error messages even though it worked. Miami doesn't bitch at all and loads/starts faster.
Old 14 August 2005, 15:32   #26
Halvare

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
I don't see why you find it so difficult to configure your network.

Here are step-by-step instructions for MiamiDeluxe.

The values are taken from my config, so you should adjust them.

You need the following data:

- The name of your ethernet driver (e.g. DEVS:Networks/via_rhinepci.device)
- The IP address of your router (e.g. 192.168.1.254)
- The IP address you want to dedicate to your Amiga (e.g. 192.168.1.6)
- The IP address of your ISP's DNS server (e.g. 194.25.2.129)

Then start MiamiDx without a config and follow these steps:

Hardware
New
Ethernet
Name = MyNetworkCard
Type = SANA-II
Driver = DEVS:Networks/via_rhinepci.device
Unit = 0
SANA-II parameters
Query device
Ok
Ok
Interfaces
New
Ethernet
LAN
Ok
MyNetworkCard
Ok
IP address = 192.168.1.6
Netmask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway Pri = 1
Gateway = 192.168.1.254
GUI default = Yes
Ok
Database
DNS servers
Add
IP address = 194.25.2.129
Save Settings

I hope this helps.
HI THERE,
Was looking at this guide and mine willn't work :/
I grabbed a 10Mbps pc card off ebay which had a cur down version of amitcp/ip and a ftp client to pc server. It uses the 3c589.device for a 3com 3CCE5589EC PC card.

The problem I get is when I query the card in the hardware section I get a error ( Miami Deluxe is unable to open SANA-II device "DEVS:Networks/3c589.device' Unit 0"

Anyone have any ideas, as all my amiga know how run out over 10 years ago :/

Thanks...

Old 14 August 2005, 22:17   #27
thomas

Have you copied 3c589.device to Devs:Networks ? Have you installed Cardpatch and Cardreset (see links in my first post) ? Does the network light go on when you connect the computers ? Do you use a correct cable ? For connecting two computers you need a cross-over cable while to connect a computer to a hub/switch/router you need a normal network cable.
Old 17 August 2005, 14:34   #28
Shrub

I'm having problems too. I'm using a 3Com card, all it's drivers are set up properly and the ethernet light on the DSL/router is active so it must be connected. Cardpatch and cardreset are in the startup-sequence.
I've assigned the Amiga's IP as 192.168.1.6 and assigned NAT virtual server/DMZ to the same IP with 60 as the rule
Net mask is 255.255.255.0,
Gateway is 192.168.1.1 - router's ethernet port IP

Apparently the DNS servers for this are 192.168.1.1 (and 192.168.1.2 - USB IP address for PC) but I get the error message "Your IP address cannot be resolved so Miami has to fall back to you IP address as your host name..."
And when I try to load google up in IBrowse I get "Host lookup failed, no DNS entry found" or "Network is unreachable".

The diagnostic light on the router/DSL turns on now and again when I set Miami to online, but when I turn the modem off and on it goes back to normal - with the ethernet light blinking as though data is being transmitted from modem to amiga.
I can't even access the modem's configuration page on http://192.168.1.1 through the Amiga.

Edit: I've tried BTinternet's DNS servers:
but they don't seem to workth. I need the BTYahoo ones but I can't find the buggers

Last edited by Shrub; 17 August 2005 at 14:50.
Old 17 August 2005, 15:08   #29
thomas

Quote:
and assigned NAT virtual server/DMZ to the same IP
Do *not* do this unless you want to run a web server on your Amiga. These options expose your Amiga to the internet. Although amigaOS/Miami don't have as much security issues as Windows, a few are still there and they won't be closed because nobody is working on these programs any more.

Quote:
Your IP address cannot be resolved so Miami has to fall back to you IP address as your host name...
Enter a host name on Miami's TCP/IP page.

Quote:
"Host lookup failed, no DNS entry found"
Enter the IP addresses of you DNS severs to Miami's Database

Quote:
"Network is unreachable".
Check that Miami is online. Check with MiamiPing if there is a connection to the router and to the DNS addresses.
Old 17 August 2005, 15:24   #30
Shrub

Host name is ComB, it was defaultuser or something like that, neither seem to work.
I've added the BT internet DNS servers to the database, as well as the 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 that my windows ipconfig settings claim.

In the commandline I wrote "Miamiping 192.168.1.1" and it comes back with:
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
ping: wrote 192.168.1.1 64 chars, ret=-1 - repeated about every second ad infinitum
Old 17 August 2005, 16:36   #31
thomas

Quote:
ping: wrote 192.168.1.1 64 chars, ret=-1
That means that you don't even have a connection to the router. You don't need to care about DNS or host names before you get this working.

Check the router's config, if there is some kind of packet filter or a list of allowed IP addresses which rejects your Amiga.

Which kind of cable do you use ? You may not use a cross-over cable if you connect to a hub/switch/router.

Did the network card properly read its MAC address (in Hardware / MyNetworkCard / SANA-II parameters / Query device) ? If it reads as FF:FF:FF:FF or something similar, it is broken.

Isn't there a light on the network card ?

The lights on both ends of the cable should be on and not blinking if no data is sent. They should blink once for every ping.
Old 17 August 2005, 18:49   #32
Shrub

It's quite a terrible modem/router I have. It's the BT Voyager 205 and there many threads about with people having problems with it when it comes to anything other than IBM style PCs lol

There's an IP filter on my modem, which just has basic settings - off, med, and high. It's currently on high, but, I've set my Amiga's IP address to that of the computer in the other room (not currently plugged in), so I can't see why it would be blocking there.
The IP pool is 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.34 under DHCP.

The MAC address is 08:92:A9:81, and it's using a standard patch cable. There's no LED on the card so I can't see if it's activated that way, but it must be connected because the ethernet light activates on the modem when I select "online" in Miami. The light flickers now and again which usually means some sort of communication between devices.

The modem has a rudimentary firewall built in. I can't imagine this causing any problems, again considering I'm using another machine's working IP, but I might disable it anyway.

There's an option in the Voyager 205's IP routing config for DNS servers. There's no entries in it though. I'm presuming because my PC is working with the net this isn't important though.

Last edited by Shrub; 17 August 2005 at 19:10.
Old 17 August 2005, 21:07   #33
thomas

Quote:
The IP pool is 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.34 under DHCP.
You should use an address outside the DHCP pool to avoid duplicates.

Quote:
I've set my Amiga's IP address to that of the computer in the other room (not currently plugged in), so I can't see why it would be blocking there.
My router maintains a list of MAC addresses and IP addresses. So if there suddenly is another computer (another MAC address) with the same IP address it could be blocked.

Quote:
The light flickers now and again which usually means some sort of communication between devices.
Is there another computer (Windows PC) connected to the router ? Then it probably tries to refresh its Network Neighbourhood regularly.
Old 17 August 2005, 21:39   #34
Shrub

I'll try another IP in a bit, but as far as I can tell there's no protection over MAC in the modem's config pages. The PC uses a seperate light - The router has 2 inputs, one for regular network cables, and another for USB which the PC uses, essentially an internal USB nic in the modem. I'll write down all my settings for MiamiDX later, if everything's set correctly on there then it'll definitely be the router - and theres a fair bit of info online about that - mostly about the damn thing overheating lol - the main chip on mine is already running about 80°c and that's pretty normal!

Thanks so far, Thomas.

Last edited by Shrub; 17 August 2005 at 22:09.
Old 19 August 2005, 17:41   #35
Shrub

Ok, I've checked the settings on the other PC and it turns out I was using the wrong mask - I was supposed to be using 255.0.0.0, and I've also turned the DCHP server on. I'm not getting any DNS errors now and no messages regarding host name, but, I still can't ping the router.
The card I'm using is 3C589D-TP, which I think is compatible
Old 23 August 2005, 17:59   #36
Shrub

This is driving me nuts now. Could someone give me a list of all the settings for Miami - for all it's pages - TCP/IP settings, SOCKs etc please?

I've also tried MiamiInit - for the IP, netmask, gateway it couldn't automatically find suitable values, I had to type them in manually.
Old 24 August 2005, 12:50   #37
thomas

Well, at this state I'd first check if the network card really works. Therfore I would connect a device which I know to be working to it and use a configuration I know to be working. For example I'd get a cross-over cable and connect a Windows PC directly to the Amiga. Then I'd configure both computers like this: PC: DHCP disabled, IP = 1.1.1.1, mask = 0.0.0.0, gateway = 2.2.2.2 and Amiga: IP = 2.2.2.2, mask = 0.0.0.0, gateway = 1.1.1.1. Then ping from PC to Amiga and vice versa and perhaps use some TCP/IP softwares I know to be working (you need a daemon on on one computer and a client on the other). If you run WinUAE or have two Amigas it would be quite easy to type copy tcp:999 to ram:xxx on one Amiga and copy s:startup-sequence to tcp:1.1.1.1/999 on the other Amiga just to check if data can be copied.

After the network card has passed this check, I would then try some configurations with the router. E.g. I would configure a PC exactly like the Amiga would be configured (e.g. DHCP disabled, static IP address, mask and gatway).

To get a clean Miami config, delete the miami.defaults file and recreate the config from scratch. See my step-by-step instructions above. Settings not mentioned there are not changed.
Old 24 August 2005, 19:01   #38
Shrub

I'll give that a shot, I have a crossover cable somewhere.

So does WinUAE have networking capabilities in that it'll make use of any NIC set up for Windows? If so I can test if it is the router to blame for this directly, which I really think it is.

I've just ordered a cheap PC from ebay which I can use to test the Amiga with also, and I'm currently thinking about making it into a pseudo siemese system with my Amiga, I'd have the benefit of a networks harddrive and CDROM, but it'll bugger up my completely noise free plan (at least for the moment until I can find a cheapo noiseless <200w PSU and a decent amount of memory so I can use the space IDE-CF adaptor and disable the swapfile. Is it safe to power an Amiga from it's floppy power connector btw?)

What daemon/client software for both PC and Amiga do you recommend?

DHCP disabled? I've tried both ways on the Amiga, but the PC in the other room has DHCP activated.

Oh, I could also buy a PCI PCMCIA card for my PC, but it's a bit of a needless expense considering I'm only using it to test the NIC.

Cheers again
Old 24 August 2005, 19:50   #39
thomas

Quote:
So does WinUAE have networking capabilities in that it'll make use of any NIC set up for Windows? If so I can test if it is the router to blame for this directly, which I really think it is.
No, it does not have access to the NIC. It only has a TCP/IP wrapper, which makes Amiga programs able to access the Windows' IP stack. You cannot prove anything Amiga-related with this solution. If Windows manages to go online, WinUAE is online either and if Windows fails, UAE is offline, too.

Quote:
Is it safe to power an Amiga from it's floppy power connector btw?)
Don't know. But I wouldn't dare it. IMHO you should always go into the main power connector and *additionally* to the floppy port.

Quote:
What daemon/client software for both PC and Amiga do you recommend?
Don't know. I never needed one. My router always responded at the first try. The TCP: method works, though. Although I think on WinUAE you first have to install a TCP-Handler for it to work. You can use the one coming with Genesis or AmiTCP.

Quote:
DHCP disabled? I've tried both ways on the Amiga, but the PC in the other room has DHCP activated.
If a PC can connect with exactly the same settings as the Amiga then I don't see any reason why the Amiga should not be able to connect with the very same settings. AFAIK the IP protocol does not allow to guess the operating system at this low level.

Quote:
Oh, I could also buy a PCI PCMCIA card for my PC
That would be overkill. If you can connect to another PC through the cross-over cable, then the NIC is ok. And if it doesn't work it is almost sure that the NIC is not compatible.
Old 24 August 2005, 20:16   #40
Shrub

Looks like I'm out of luck. I've tried two NICs on my PC, initially tried 2.2.2.2, 1.1.1.1 and 255.0.0.0 (wouldn't accept 0.0.0.0), then I tried 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, and 255.255.0.0, but pinging from either machine failed on all attempts
There is a light on the PCMCIA NIC - actually on the dongle's plug.
It says in the 3com driver's guide that the 3C589D is compatible, so I have no idea where it's failing. My PCMCIA slot works alright as far as I know because my Squirrel functions properly. Probably is a duff card

Cheers for everything anyway.

Were there any drivers for SCSI NICs made for the Amiga do you know?