English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 04 August 2015, 16:43   #1
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Game Anticipation

After signing up as a Gold Supporter for the new release of Tales Of Gorluth II (http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=79189) and having to wait for it to be released, I started thinking about other times in my life when I have eagerly waited either for a game to be released, or for me to be able to have the wherewithal to buy it. For example:

Zelda: Links Awakening - GameBoy. I was after this for ages, but couldn't afford a GameBoy to play it on. When I finally got my work bonus I spent the lot (plus the £15 savings I had) on a console, the game and a load of accessories. Still got it today and I still play it!

Shadow Of The Third Moon - Amiga. I ordered this via mail order and waited 16 centuries for it! Well, it was about 4 weeks, but I kept looking at the screenshots in the magazine ad and pining until it arrived... A real-looking voxel landscape!!

Rainbow Moon - PS Vita. I waited and waited for the Vita release of this, as I wanted it to be portable. The day it was released I downloaded it and played it constantly for about 30 years!! I restarted it a couple of weeks ago so I could play it again.

X Plane 10 - Mac. I love flight sims, and I love X Plane the most. Since I upgraded to a nice i5 MacBook Pro Retina I needed to update my copy of X Plane. Why does the postage take so l-o-o-o-o-o-ng!! This has used more cpu time than anything else on my Mac!!

There are many more tales of game-yearning. Oddly, waiting for these games to finally arrive has made them even more enjoyable. I'm REALLY looking forward to ToG II now
Old 04 August 2015, 19:12   #2
Leffmann

The last game I got excited about was Diablo 3. I bought it right at release and played it quite a bit, but ended up feeling it was a disappointment.

I did buy an expansion for it eventually, which was redeeming and made the game a lot more interesting, but I still haven't played it thouroughly.
Old 05 August 2015, 08:36   #3
Gzegzolka

I'm waiting for new Doom, it will be a good reason to buy new PC. I'm also waiting for each new Dreamcast game, even if I do not have it, it is very interesting to see so much polished shumps and developers that made games for dead system and earn money on that.
As for Amiga, I'm not big fan of backbone games, they have high requirement and usually got some problems with smooth scroll or collision detection. I'm waiting to see Rygar, Final Fight and Maxwell.
Old 06 August 2015, 03:43   #4
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Definately waiting on the amiga aga final... ahem...beats of fire...
Also waiting on ghost blade for the dreamcast.

On another note apart from shmups I had not played any other games much for a few years now... and then I got Far cry 3 for my xbox 360. It's so addictive. Where did those 3 hours go...
Ive still one eye on bloodborne on the ps4.
Old 06 August 2015, 22:54   #5
DisposableHero

Pretty much everything I got with my second-hand Amiga, as I waited to be out of plaster and able to play them properly.

F1GP as well, couldn't get it at first as I didn't have the extra half meg, then got it via mail order. First copy I got, a disk shutter got stuck in the drive (thankfully I managed to get it out, but wasn't prepared to risk the disk) then the second copy they sent had a read error! The third one worked, and luckily was well worth the wait - probably spent more time on it than anything.
Old 07 August 2015, 23:36   #6
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
F1GP as well, couldn't get it at first as I didn't have the extra half meg, then got it via mail order.
That's a great point. I got DPaint III (or was it II..?) via mail order and was gutted that I couldn't do animation because I was still using a 512k Amiga. I waited for about a month before pay day so I could get the 512k expansion. It was the longest working month EVER!!

IIRC the extra RAM gave me the extended intro on F/A-18 Interceptor too.
Old 08 August 2015, 22:38   #7
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

F18 was probably the only game you can play from keyboard, all the other bundled games with amigas in the old days required a stick. That was really disappointing at the time, needing to wait when you can get a stick and finally get your dream machine to play games ;-) Why C= did not fix it? Or included some mouse only games?
Old 09 August 2015, 04:47   #8
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

The last game I got excited for was Mortal Kombat X.

As a lifelong MK fan from the early nineties, I was amazed at just how good Mortal Kombat 9 turned out to be, and its fan service filled me with gooey MK goodness. I just had to play the sequel, but as my computer was not up to scratch, I actually bought a Playstation 4 - my first ever console - to do so. Ed Boon is a prolific Twitter user, and everything he posts about new additions to MKX gets me pumped.

I get excited over any id Software (or Raven related) release, as they are some of my favourite game devs of all time. I actually upgraded my computer so it could run Doom 3, and then had a ball with Quake 4 and Wolfenstein 2009 - two incredibly underrated arcade shooters that, along with Singularity, represented Raven Software's purple patch of game production, in my opinion. And I'm literally slavering at the mouth for the new Doom game - not sure if I'll get a new computer for that one or play it on my PS4.

In the Amiga days, I did everything I possibly could to get my hands on a copy of Shadow Fighter after I saw the glowing reviews and beheld its colourful, arcade style graphics and sprites. Unfortunately I could never source a copy, and was only able to play this fantastic gem of a game many years later via emulation.
Old 10 August 2015, 10:32   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The last game I was really anticipating to play was Guild Wars 2, being a huge fan of the original online-coop game (which was not an MMO, that was what made it good for me). I even pre-ordered it to be able to play it three days sooner.

Then Guild Wars 2 was released, I loved it to bits for three months and then lost any and all interest in it all at once. I realized the truth when the magic fairy dust had worn out: it was just another walk in the field simulator with a weak story and even weaker multiplayer interaction, unless you like to look at people hopping around like young goats most of the time.

I haven't really been excited for any game since really - in the sense that you want to play it on day one. Gamedevs nowadays kill that bit of magic long before with over-exposure to the media anyway. I could have been hyped for Metal Gear Solid 5 for example, but there is just too much noise going around that game; I'm already a bit tired of it before I even got to play it once.
Old 10 August 2015, 13:26   #10
DisposableHero

Off topic, but Muzkat, have you tried Fightin' Spirit? Released after the Amiga's commercial games era, but probably even better than Shadow Fighter. SF2-style beat 'em ups were the Amiga's big weakness in its heyday, but those two later proved what was possible.
Old 12 August 2015, 15:41   #11
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Unfortunately no, I haven't had a chance to sample it. It certainly looks gorgeous though, with that vibrant palette and huge and chunky sprites. Reminds me of those wonderful Neo Geo fighters from the 90s! Will have to give it a go sometime.

And tell me about the lack of beat 'em ups on the Amiga! For I system that I loved and grew up with, it totally sucked that it had a distinct deficit of my favourite game genres (scrolling and tournament beat 'em ups and FPS) and a definite oversupply of the genre I hated the most - freakin' football games!