English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 23 November 2017, 21:12   #1
Foebane
Banned

Keyboard shortcuts for "View by Name"?

I am using WinUAE with added Windows folders as drives, and the contents of those drives are always shown as icons, in a really untidy mess (probably because of lack of .icon files). Window/Clean Up tidies it up a bit, but it's still hard to navigate through the icons.

Is there a quick keyboard shortcut that will allow me to View by Name in the Window menu? If it helps, I'm using the ClassicWB version of Workbench.

Also, forgive me if I've asked this before, a long time ago, but I get that feeling.
Old 24 November 2017, 10:47   #2
meynaf
son of 68k

Try right Amiga key + numpad 2.
Old 24 November 2017, 14:48   #3
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
If you mean "Home" on a PC keyboard with "2" on the PC's numeric keypad with Num Lock on, then it didn't work. Nor with Num Lock off.
Old 24 November 2017, 14:57   #4
DamienD
Banned

Left Amiga key = Left Windows key

Right Amiga key = Right Windows key or Right Menu key (if right Windows key is missing)
Old 24 November 2017, 16:57   #5
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Left Amiga key = Left Windows key

Right Amiga key = Right Windows key or Right Menu key (if right Windows key is missing)
The Windows keys work, or "Insert" and "Home" if you prefer, but I checked before and I have ToolsDaemon on my ClassicWB and it seems to have reconfigured the keys that would normally be used for Workbench for other functions (see attachment)

If the "2" is meant to be on the numeric keypad, I cannot get it to work, and the regular "2" along the top of the keyboard just brings up the Shell.

Also, no keyboard shortcuts appear for this function on the Window menu, but I don't know if that's different to any other WB install.

I have one more idea I want to try, like removing the new keys set up by ToolsDaemon, and I'll let you know how I get on.

EDIT: No, no joy. Removed those functions in ToolsDaemon that had keyboard shortcuts, but still nothing worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.png
Views:	121
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	55558  
Old 24 November 2017, 17:43   #6
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
It seems that Commodore failed to add a lot of shortcuts to the English locale for Workbench. Ramiga+1/2/3/4 works on Swedish Workbench.
Old 24 November 2017, 20:45   #7
Foebane
Banned

I've left a message for Bloodwych, the organiser of ClassicWB - if anyone knows about Workbench more than most, he does. No offence, everyone else.
Old 24 November 2017, 21:01   #8
DamienD
Banned

Ok, but as idrougge already said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
It seems that Commodore failed to add a lot of shortcuts to the English locale for Workbench. Ramiga+1/2/3/4 works on Swedish Workbench.
...it's not a problem with ClassicWB; it's a problem with the UK Workbench disks that were used during installation not having those shortcuts setup.

About to go out, but sounds like the same thing would happen with a basic WB 3.1 installation from UK disks i.e. Ramiga+1/2/3/4 won't work.
Old 25 November 2017, 10:13   #9
meynaf
son of 68k

I've just tried to temporarily bring my French Workbench to English locale and, indeed, these shortcuts disappear !
Old 25 November 2017, 13:53   #10
Foebane
Banned

Selecting "View by Name" and "Snapshot/All" is, it seems, the only way to go. At least it's permanent, but I have five Amiga folders (from Windows folders) to set up.
Old 25 November 2017, 14:29   #11
huepper

It does not work in the German version either?
I used the disks from AF/Cloanto.
Old 25 November 2017, 16:01   #12
Foebane
Banned

I'm trying an idea, to View by Name and Snapshot All in one of the five folders in Workbench, then copy the resulting Disk.info into all the others with Windows. I don't know if it will work, because I have no idea what information is stored in that file.
Old 29 November 2017, 10:47   #13
Foebane
Banned

I decided to change my HDD emulation paths to the same one that covers my entire retro emulation directory, and now I only have to do the View by Name trick once, then hide the Disk.info. I was afraid it wouldn't work because my WinUAE emulator setup is within that folder, and last time I tried that with a Workbench folder rather than an HDF, I caused a crash in the core code of WinUAE. But not this time, luckily.
Old 29 November 2017, 11:57   #14
idrougge

What you could do is transplant the relevant pieces from another locale. Might require some fiddling to generate a new .rc file or whatever it's called before you can use CatEdit.
Old 07 December 2017, 15:03   #15
Daedalus

Yep, good idea. SimpleCat can also import existing locale files directly so you can edit them without needing the descriptor/translator files. I don't think an English locale for Workbench exist though, instead it's hard coded as the defaults. But copying an existing locale and deleting all the entries except the menu shortcuts you want should work...