English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 10 November 2018, 07:56   #2321
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
Feral cats are a big problem in my area D. I love animals as well, the council will do nothing about the cats and the foxes so me and Jack take care of it, or perhaps I should sit on my arse and sing Kumbya while these ferals kill all the native wildlife?
Nah, you should be arming the native wildlife so they can defend themselves
Old 11 November 2018, 17:33   #2322
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Overlord

It is loud, it is stylish, it is exhilarating, it is gory, it is nonsensical, it is really, really cool. It is Castle Wolfenstein: the movie. And boy did I have a good time! Expect epic WW2 war scenes and Nazi zombie goodness. More of the former, less of the latter. As I said its gory, but I had hoped for a little more of the good stuff.

But do see in the cinema, this is a made for cinema movie. See it on a regular TV and see this movie just turn into something ordinary. But see it on the biggest screen available with the loudest most 3D sound system attached to it and have a really good two hours of your life.

Movie score: 6.5
Cinema experience: 10/10

Popcorn entertainment in its purest form, today I remembered why I used to go to the cinema.
Old 13 November 2018, 18:06   #2323
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Race to Witch Mountain (2009)

Another family movie, not half bad as they tend to be. It is classic, taxi driver is placed in wired situation by mare incident on being at wrong time at wrong place (fifth element) and adventure beings when he does not like to turn in passengers to DOD folks. Few good jokes here and there, funny parts about nut convention, some fun for kids. Worth watching if you have kids around and there is nothing better on TV.

6/10
Old 18 November 2018, 19:39   #2324
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The Incredibles 2. I love the Incredibles, so there was no chance that this movie was going to appeal to me as much. Regardless, its a good Pixar movie. I would have liked a little more humor here and there, but the Incredibles is more about trying to be a true action adventure movie and not a cartoon. The sequel again succeeds there delivering animated characters that have more on screen presence and emotion behind them than you will see in many a live action movie. Stunning work.

BUT! There is always a but. What it doesn't have is a sequel to Syndrome, my favorite animated baddy of all time. The baddy in this movie is at best lackluster; really lame motivations and poses almost no threat at all. And as I believe that an action movie is only as strong as its villain... the movie loses some quality and rewatchability there.

So yeah. Good. But I long back to the days where Pixar consistently delivered great movies. Basically the days where they tried to be original :/

6.5/10
Old Yesterday, 20:00   #2325
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
The Incredibles 2. I love the Incredibles, so there was no chance that this movie was going to appeal to me as much. Regardless, its a good Pixar movie. I would have liked a little more humor here and there, but the Incredibles is more about trying to be a true action adventure movie and not a cartoon. The sequel again succeeds there delivering animated characters that have more on screen presence and emotion behind them than you will see in many a live action movie. Stunning work.

BUT! There is always a but. What it doesn't have is a sequel to Syndrome, my favorite animated baddy of all time. The baddy in this movie is at best lackluster; really lame motivations and poses almost no threat at all. And as I believe that an action movie is only as strong as its villain... the movie loses some quality and rewatchability there.

So yeah. Good. But I long back to the days where Pixar consistently delivered great movies. Basically the days where they tried to be original :/

6.5/10
I really think that EDNA needs her own spinoff movie
Old Yesterday, 20:40   #2326
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I think that would become another Minions. In moderation, cute as heck and funny. Fill an entire movie with it and it starts to lose its flavor.
Old Yesterday, 20:52   #2327
jmmijo

Quote:
I think that would become another Minions. In moderation, cute as heck and funny. Fill an entire movie with it and it starts to lose its flavor.
But the premise would be how EDNA came up with the NO CAPES thing as she was all about CAPES to begin with until all the INCREDIBLES that she initially created the suits for lost their lives

So yeah it would be a Montage type of movie
Old Yesterday, 23:51   #2328
malko

Quote:
[...] So yeah. Good. But I long back to the days where Pixar consistently delivered great movies. Basically the days where they tried to be original :/ [...]
Unfortunately, it seems to me that we can say that these days are over. There are still sometimes pearls like "Inside Out" but since Disney bought Pixar, we are too much served n°2, 3, 4, etc. of films that have been pearls of originality. I do not forget that Pixar used to say, in the beginning, that there would never be any follow up to any of their movies (Toy Story excepted).
It's sad and the same phenomenon happens with the "LucasFilm" 's movies (Star Wars franchise), and probably will happen with the "Marvel" 's movies (especially since Stan Lee has died recently).
It's not good when so many franchises are under the same roof...
Old Today, 00:18   #2329
malko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
[...] Next movie I saw was Foreigner (2017) - It is just unusual to see Jackie Chan in movie that is not comedy. Apart from that, this movie even quite predictable, is well made action/revenge flick, with its light on old conflict (IRA / Ireland), terrorism and political games. Movie also sheds light on bureaucracy and slow and ineffective justice.

What makes this movie more interesting, swearing in Irish dialect... worth watching. Pierce Brosnan aged well, and delivers good performance, just as you could excpect from seasoned actor. It is almost hard to recognize him, specially since just day later I saw another movie with him that I will cover next.

7.5 / 10
[...]
Thanks for the tip. Did not know that Jackie Chan has played another drama movie.
If you didn't see "Shinjuku Incident", give it a try. It's a good one