English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 September 2007, 22:14   #1
huschel5

Question harddisk Samsung 40GB - A1200T OS3.5 recognize only 7GB

Hello,

Im new here

So I have a problem with my harddisk. I want to install a "old" 40GB HD. To install OS3.5 I used my Install3.1 disk and partioned the HD with 2GB bootable for OS3.1. Then I installed the HD in my PC and installed via WinUAE my OS3.1 very quickly.
After that step I installed the HD back in the A1200T, installed IDEFix to use my CD-Rom. So it was possible to install OS3.5 without any problems.

Now I want to create the other partions with 4GB, 4GB and the rest maybe 27GB.
But the hdtoolbox recognize only a 7GB HD and I don't know why

What can I do, to use the complete HD?

I have a A1200Tower, Kick 3.1, IDEfix to use HD and CD-Rom, M-Tec 1230.

Sorry of my bad english

Many thanks

bye bye
Old 04 September 2007, 22:50   #2
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huschel5 View Post
Hello,

Im new here

So I have a problem with my harddisk. I want to install a "old" 40GB HD. To install OS3.5 I used my Install3.1 disk and partioned the HD with 2GB bootable for OS3.1. Then I installed the HD in my PC and installed via WinUAE my OS3.1 very quickly.
After that step I installed the HD back in the A1200T, installed IDEFix to use my CD-Rom. So it was possible to install OS3.5 without any problems.

Now I want to create the other partions with 4GB, 4GB and the rest maybe 27GB.
But the hdtoolbox recognize only a 7GB HD and I don't know why

What can I do, to use the complete HD?

I have a A1200Tower, Kick 3.1, IDEfix to use HD and CD-Rom, M-Tec 1230.

Sorry of my bad english

Many thanks

bye bye
remember that the command idefix must be resident on memory to make large drives to work...
check your startup-sequence for the command c:idefix
also you need another better hardisk installation tool
get here hdinstalltool:

http://aminet.net/disk/misc/hdinst.lha

use that instead hdtoolbox

bye
Old 05 September 2007, 09:21   #3
thomas

Quote:
I used my Install3.1 disk and partioned the HD
In this step you already had to enter the correct geometry for the HDD, so that the OS sees the entire 40GB. Now that you have done it wrong, it's quite difficult to add the rest of the space.

Best thing to do is to create an emergency disk with the OS 3.5 installer, boot from it and reinstall the entire HDD.

Quote:
remember that the command idefix must be resident on memory to make large drives to work
He is using OS 3.5, it does not matter how IDEfix is installed. Actually IDEfix is not needed at all when using WinUAE.
Old 05 September 2007, 20:50   #4
huschel5

Hello,

many thanks.

I created today with WinUAE a hardfile with OS3.5 and used it as boot-disk. And I installed my Samsung HD into the PC and started WinUAE. I deleted the HD and make everything new via hdtoolbox. Now the hdtoolbox recognize 40GB
So I craeted my partions and install via WinUAE OS3.1 and then OS3.5. After that I installed the Samsung HD back to my A1200T. The A1200 boot without any problems but my other partions are unkonwn. The boot partion are 2GB, the other 15GB and the third one 20GB.
So I installed the HD back to my PC and start with WinUAE without any problems. But back on my A1200T the both partions are unknown. Why?

How can I install OS3.5 and use my complete HD?
Old 05 September 2007, 22:38   #5
thomas

Make sure the AmigaOS ROM Update is present in the Devs directory of the boot partition and make sure that FastFileSystem version 44 or higher is listed in the Add/Update dialogue of HDToolbox with the right identifier (DOS\3). And make sure that your partitions have that identifier, too.

In WinUAE select the A1200 chipset and choose IDE0 as HD Controller to simulate the same situation.
Old 08 September 2007, 14:46   #6
huschel5

Hi,

I had done the follwong today:

Boot with emergency-disk (e-d) and OS3.5 in the CD-drive. I opend the hdtoolbox and the amiga recognized only 7GB. I read the datas of the HD and reboot but there are only 7GB recognized. Ok, I would like to create 3 partions but it was impossible to format the partions. I marked the partion and clicked format but no new window appeared.

So I installed the HD into the PC and checked with WinUAE the HD. WinUAE recognized 40GB but if I would like to partion the HD it was only possible to format 7GB, why?
Therefor I created three partions with 2GB and formated them.

I installed the HD back into the amiga, boot with my e-d without problems. The amiga recognized the three partions. So I installed OS3.1 of the OS3.5-CD. Then reboot (and boot with e-d) and installed 3.5 pre-installation and reboot (and boot with e-d). As next step I would like to install 3.5 but it isn't possible to choose my partion. As default the 3.5 will install on the e-d.

Now I boot without e-d and installed IDEfix. But during installation of IDEfix a error occured and told me that I have to less space on my SYS. But why? I need IDEfix for my CD-drive.

To check the hdtoolbox datas like thomas told me I booted the amiga with my e-d and checked the hdtoolbox:

identifier: 0x444F5303
version: 45.1
size: 26124
file system name: L:FastFileSystem[International]

I don't understand why it is so difficult to use my 40GB
Old 08 September 2007, 15:03   #7
thomas

Quote:
WinUAE recognized 40GB but if I would like to partion the HD it was only possible to format 7GB, why?
In the "Install Drive" dialogue of HDToolbox there are entry fields for Tracks, Sectors and Cylinders on the left and on the right it displays the total number of blocks. You have to adjust the values on the left manually so that the total number of blocks matches the value printed on your HDD's label or in the manual of the HDD. Sometimes it's called LBA, sometimes User Sectors.

Quote:
I installed the HD back into the amiga
Why ? Why didn't you install 3.5 in WinUAE ?

Quote:
Then reboot
Why ?

Quote:
and reboot
Why ?

When booting from the emergency disk, you can isntall 3.1, 3.5pre and 3.5 without rebooting. Reboot is only needed if you boot from the HDD.

Quote:
that I have to less space on my SYS. But why?
Because there is more then 2GB of free space and the old installer you are using cannot cope with numbers bigger than 2GB.

Quote:
As next step I would like to install 3.5 but it isn't possible to choose my partion.
That's probably because of the 2GB problem, too.
Old 08 September 2007, 15:45   #8
huschel5

Ok, I will try the installation with my e-d without reboot.

I want to install 3.5 on amiga side because for 10 years it wasn't possible to use the PC for installation

I installed the 3.5 the first time via WinUAE but the amiga doesn't recognize the 40GB only 7GB.

If I have time today I will try to fill out all datas of my HD manually in hdtoolbox and install via e-d the 3.5 without reboot.
Old 08 September 2007, 22:07   #9
huschel5

I booted the amiga with my e-d and filled out the hdtoolbox manually. Now I created a SYS partion with 1.7GB. But I can't format the partion with my e-d. Therefor I booted the amiga with my 3.0 Workbench and quick formated the partion. Then I booted the amiga via e-d and started the installation of 3.1. After the 3.5pre installation I had to rebot the amiga. Then I installed idefix and installed 3.5 completly.

Now it was possible to partion the complete HD. But if I tryed to format the partion a error occured: seek failure

What have I done wrong?
Old 08 September 2007, 23:54   #10
thomas

Quote:
Now I created a SYS partion with 1.7GB. But I can't format the partion
Do not call a partition SYS. Never use the same name for different things.

Quote:
But if I tryed to format the partion a error occured: seek failure
Use Quick format. The Format program is not able to access past the 4GB border.

Quote:
Then I installed idefix
Why ? Do you have IDEfix hardware ?
Old 09 September 2007, 14:04   #11
huschel5

Ok, I'll try to use clearly names

Yes I use IDEfix hardware and M-Tec 1230. But I search a Blizzard 1230 1240

So far as I rember I used quick format and the message "seek failure" occured.