English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 28 January 2010, 04:23   #1
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

A1200, IDE, 4gb cf and the typical 'noob' nightmare... HELP?!?

Okay, read through this entire thread and still I have yet to spot something that can get to grips with. Besides having lovingly owned an Amiga 500 'back in the day', a shed load of copied games and a zipstick I'm a tad clueless here. Well, I've recently got back on the 'scene', scored myself a beautiful A500 (I was actually one of the turds that upgraded to a A500+ ) and a A1200.

Anyway, here's the line up...

A1200 3.0 (not mine but bit like this one) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amiga-1200-com...#ht_1255wt_918
Sandisk 4gb cf / http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_2287wt_918
44pin f>f IDE cable http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_2757wt_975
CF to IDS 44pin adaptor http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_2968wt_804

Got my PClappy with latest version of WinUAE installed too.

Now, besidesknowing how to use torrents and bringing back the odd mates/relatives PC back to life it appears I'm a Complete noob when it comes to this so if poss I'd be VERY grateful if someone could provide me with a step-by-step (as if I were 10yo, lol) guide using exactly what, where and how to use and what it will do etc. is it possible to just drag and drop some files onto the card or do I have to specially format it? I've got tons on preconfigured .lha games and demos (can't wait to see Phenomina's Enigma and Digi Concerts again) just no idea how to get the Amiga to recognise the drive.

Also, I've been gripped by this subject for the last 4 nights (hence the shocking time I'm up now) and have been reading LOTS about ClassicWB? but this can only be run on a 3.1(escom) Amiga right? and which is better? a A1200 with 3.0 or 3.1, as I read there were some probs with 1200's after Commodore buggered off, high density pc drives etc.

I realllllllllly don't want to have to resort to one of these boys http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_3982wt_957 as I already have all the kit, just not the knowledge. Apologies in advance if a noob guide has already been posted! *holds head in shame*

Hope all the above is clear and understandable, if not feel free to ask questions!
Old 28 January 2010, 09:18   #2
thomas

Quote:
is it possible to just drag and drop some files onto the card or do I have to specially format it?
If the Amiga should recognise it as a hard drive, you have to install it with Amiga software. Windows will not be able to read it any more. But you can use Drag & Drop inside WinUAE.

In order to install the CF card for the Amiga on a PC, you have to run WinUAE and use the "Add Harddrive" button. Then boot from bootable ADFs with install software on it or use one of the pre-configured Amiga packs like ClassicWB.

To prepare the CF card, run HDToolbox and create one or more partitions. Don't forget to enable the "bootable" check mark on one of the partitions.

If you put the CF card back into the Amiga it should boot from it immediately.
Old 28 January 2010, 12:57   #3
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

Thanks for the swift reply thomas but that doesn't really help I'm afraid...
Old 28 January 2010, 14:19   #4
thomas

Quote:
Hope all the above is clear and understandable, if not feel free to ask questions!
Well, what do you need to know ? At which step are you stuck ?
Old 28 January 2010, 21:19   #5
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

Every bit! oh by the way I should have mentioned that the A1200 is ON THE WAY,don't actually have it yet, just the A500, anyway to get it set up before hand what DO I need to do?!?!

I've got about as far as right clicking (as admin,found THAT much out lol) to open WinUae, creating a hard drive and ticking read/write button... the rest might as well be in German though

Last edited by ipod_sock; 28 January 2010 at 23:05.
Old 28 January 2010, 21:50   #6
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod_sock View Post
have been reading LOTS about ClassicWB? but this can only be run on a 3.1(escom) Amiga right?
Nah, all versions run on 3.0 ROMS - only the 3.5 and 3.9 versions require 3.1 ROMS.

It's all on the webpage: http://classicwb.abime.net/

Last edited by Bloodwych; 28 January 2010 at 22:14.
Old 28 January 2010, 21:51   #7
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
On the rom query, yes amiga technologies models where fitted with 3.1 while the cbm used 3.0

i have a commodore 1200 on 3.1 rom's, these also leave a longer delay upon booting for some of the older hd's but i dont think it will make any odd's you having the 3.0 rom's unless you intend to put Os 3.5 or 3.9 on there?

there also still avail new from amigakit.com

Chris

Edit: I need to be quicker lol
Old 28 January 2010, 22:37   #8
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
ClassicWB should work on your A1200 with 3.0 ROMs, there are hardly any differences between the two, as long as you don't plan on installing OS3.5 or 3.9 which will require later 3.1 ROMs (or ROM images that are loaded and stored in RAM on bootup, something requring an accelerator). You could always switch the 3.0 for 3.1 ROMs some day, it's an easy swap if you can just find someone selling the ROMs (or flash your own EPROMs). Commodore A1200s can have 3.1 ROMs in them, and standard 880k DD Floppy drives too.

Later A1200s had modified PC HD floppy drives which can be a problem. I got an AmigaKit modified one and it lasted less than a day before not reading anything anymore. So try and stick to the DD drives if you can, and make sure you get yourself a floppy drive cleaning kit for it (a floppy disk with a cleaning disc in it with a little bottle of alcohol to drop on it). Use this before you put any disks in the drive, and only use new disks. Don't buy boxes of other peoples old disks because they could have mould in them which kills floppy drives.

Rather than using an IDE-CF adapter and a ribbon cable, you could look out for an adapter that plugs directly onto the IDE port, not requiring a ribbon at all. I've had better luck with these models in my experience, as the ribbon models didn't make the HDD LED go, but the plug-on ones worked with the Amiga's HDD LED, as well as having one of their own that you can see flashing through the vents in the back of the Amiga. If the one you have already works though, keep it. At least the ribboned models can be moved out of the way of other expansions if they're installed (like the Indivision, which won't fit with a plug-in CF adapter).

The CF card needs to be formatted from AmigaOS as an Amiga filesystem. The default is FFS, which is slower, supports shorter filenames, and smaller partitions than SFS, which is available on Aminet. Be aware though, if using SFS you'll use more RAM, so if you're using an A1200 without an accelerator you might just want to stick with FFS unless you find another filesystem that works better (AFS was good, and I read good things about PFS3).

Once the card is formatted, it should be able to be mounted from within UAE or the A1200. You should probably make two partitions, one must be called Workbench: and have all the system files installed to it. The other partition can have all your programs, games and files. It doesn't really matter where you put your stuff, you can always make Assigns for them if the computer is looking for it somewhere else. I usually make a Programs/ Files/ and Games/ directory in the root of Work: (the second partition) and then just make assigns for the three drawers, give them a drive-style icon, and leave them out on the desktop for easy access.

I guess to install ClassicWB, you'd be best to follow the instructions on how to do it with Windows, as it's been designed for Windows users to easily as possible transfer the files to a real Amiga. I imagine it's not too complicated if you're a PC guy, but I haven't tried it myself. Personally I'd just do the whole lot with the Amiga and install Workbench from floppy disk. Do you have a set of Workbench floppies? You'll need them to prep the CF card on the A1200 (unless you open the PC and plug it in there, then use UAE). You need to use HDToolBox and follow the instructions for preparing the drive and setting the Max Transfer Rate, partitioning the drive so it can be formatted. There's a decent guide to follow here http://wiki.abime.net/amiga:killergo...winuae_realhdd
Old 29 January 2010, 03:11   #9
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

Thanks for all the info so far guys, especially Rebel-CD32 with the very detailed posting... I'm learning!!!

Btw, what are the benefits of installing graphics card/accelerators as the games only run within a certain spec no?

For new demos? graphics/music work? net browsing?
Old 29 January 2010, 03:49   #10
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Adding extra RAM via a RAM expansion card will let you play many more WHDLoad games, it'll speed up the operation of Workbench and let you run many more applications. An accelerator really isn't needed unless you plan on using your Amiga as your main computer, going online and web browsing, rendering, image and sound processing work, or for watching demos. For games, all you need is more RAM in the A1200, and a PC with UAE for running the very few CPU-intensive games and demos.
Old 31 January 2010, 03:36   #11
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

So, I think the right thing to do here is wait til the Miggy 1200 arrives then I can complete ALL the steps... will repost when have the goodies in my hand
Old 31 January 2010, 05:20   #12
EmuChicken

Hey bud, I just installed a CF drive to the amiga... >

I found it almost impossible to format and set up the drive to work with the Amiga STARTING FROM THE PC... so youd be best running the workbench 3.1 "install disk" and set up the hard drive from the Amiga via HDTools.
Once thats set up you can move the drive to the PC via WinUAE (DONT reformat in windows! just select the drive within Winuae!),

Boot using the Classicwb HDF file, then set the SFS stuff of the REAL amiga drive... copy all the contents of the HDF to the REAL drive and youre all set for the real amiga.
You might want to copy some other stuff over too (killergorilla whdload packs perhaps?)
Old 01 February 2010, 00:14   #13
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

Thanks for the heads up EmuChicken (funny avatar btw, lol!) but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuChicken View Post
workbench 3.1 "install disk"
install disk? I know what the workbench disk is, mine will come with wb3.0, I specifically wanted the C= logo as opposed to the Escom/Amiga International one

Quote:
HDTools
Is this on the workbench disks?

Quote:
Boot using the Classicwb HDF file
?????????????????

Quote:
then set the SFS stuff
?????????????????

Last edited by ipod_sock; 02 February 2010 at 00:32.
Old 01 February 2010, 08:13   #14
EmuChicken

erm...
1. insert the CF HDD into the Amiga, put in the Install 3.0 floppy disk, load it up
2. workbench loads up, load up the "HDtools" program from the floppy
3. format the bugger

let us know once youve got that far ;-)
Old 01 February 2010, 13:52   #15
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
erm...
1. insert the CF HDD into the Amiga, put in the Install 3.0 floppy disk, load it up
2. workbench loads up, load up the "HDtools" program from the floppy
3. format the bugger

let us know once youve got that far ;-)
Man things must be grim, emu handing out advice? .

Well its not always as simple as that.
But try as emu said, and get back to us.
Old 09 February 2010, 19:58   #16
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

Okay, so got the 8mb to enable WHDload to do it's thing, this won't cause a conflict with the CF card fitted internally right?
Old 09 February 2010, 20:07   #17
Allen1

Quote:
Okay, so got the 8mb to enable WHDload to do it's thing, this won't cause a conflict with the CF card fitted internally right?

No the internal CF card will work fine, just the PCMCIA port that will not work unless you get a smaller memory stick (4MB) or unplug the trapdoor expansion if you need to use the PCMCIA for file transfers etc.
Old 10 March 2010, 03:50   #18
ipod_sock
1st love = Psygnosis

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhh, got my A600, got my 37.350ks, got my PCMCIA reader, got a 128sandisk (will read after using Amigakit software) and a 4gbsandisk, no joy, won't recognise... got the 'fat95' and cfd so I don't have to keep using the Amiga kit disk but where do you intall em'? am I using the right files? how do you place em' in 'L'???

Using 3.1wb and 2mb, what on EARTH is going wrong?!?!? I've even managed to make a few game disks from .ADF images from the 128mb card but wanna get started with the 4gb, use ClassicWB and WHDload but tearing my hair out here!!!look at the time!

A few shots...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/kevs355/1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/kevs355/2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/kevs355/3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/kevs355/4.jpg

PLEASE, if anyone can do an absolute THICKO NOOb guide with screenshots, I'd be your best FWEND!
Old 10 March 2010, 10:32   #19
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
AHhhhhhhhhhhhhh, got my A600, got my 37.350ks, got my PCMCIA reader, got a 128sandisk (will read after using Amigakit software) and a 4gbsandisk, no joy, won't recognise... got the 'fat95' and cfd so I don't have to keep using the Amiga kit disk but where do you intall em'? am I using the right files? how do you place em' in 'L'???

Using 3.1wb and 2mb, what on EARTH is going wrong?!?!? I've even managed to make a few game disks from .ADF images from the 128mb card but wanna get started with the 4gb, use ClassicWB and WHDload but tearing my hair out here!!!look at the time!

A few shots...

PLEASE, if anyone can do an absolute THICKO NOOb guide with screenshots, I'd be your best FWEND!
Check the tooltypes of your HDToolBox, could be set wrong.
Old 10 March 2010, 11:29   #20
Allen1

Quote:

A few shots...

Hi there ipod_sock,

I assume you intend the 4GB card to be used as an internal hard drive on the 1200 or 600?
Remember to check that the 4GB card still works on your laptop before fitting it in the Amiga, it may have gotten damaged or maybe the CF adapter is faulty these things happen and as alway make sure the Amiga is switched off before opening it up (just in case)

You need to open the 1200/600 case and fit a 44 pin CF to IDE adapter on the internal connector and plug in the 4GB card before HDTools can find it (as in previous photo you had on a different thread). Once it has been found then you can make your partitions (less that 2GB is recommended in size) and then format them so they are seen, one of the partitions ie "Workbench" must be made bootable.

Last edited by Allen1; 10 March 2010 at 11:47. Reason: one of those days :)