English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 19 March 2005, 15:00   #1
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Question WHDLoad Exits

hello, while playing on y whd load installed games i cant seem to exit back to workbench. Sometimes it says press PrtScr to exit, but i dont have that key on my a600 keyboard. And other times it says press F10 to quit, but pressing that dopesnt even work.

what should I do?

Old 19 March 2005, 15:07   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Change the "QUITKEY=***" to something more usable, either in the main WHDLoad pref file (SYS:S/), in the game icon's tooltype or if you're running from a script, add it to the line.
Old 19 March 2005, 15:39   #3
Smiley
Amiga-less!

Ok thanks, just noticed I put this thread in req apps instead of prb apps SORRY

Still doesnt work,

The WHDLoad website says this:

The VBR moving feature requires at least a 68010 to work. On a 68000 this option has no effect, because the VBR is always at $0 and cannot be moved.

Last edited by Smiley; 19 March 2005 at 15:57.
Old 19 March 2005, 16:04   #4
DopPie
Zone Friend

Correct a stock A600 cant use quit keys. The only way to quit is a reboot.
Old 19 March 2005, 17:43   #5
Amiga1992

Yup yup, not even an A500 would do it.
Old 19 March 2005, 21:43   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Actually, the reason you can't quit on your A600 is because of the amateur that installed the games. If you try any of the games I patched (which don't use the Kickstart 1.3 interface that is) you will find you can quit on any Amiga. It's pure laziness on the patchers part not to intercept the quit key in the level 2 interrupt and gracefully quit back to WB.

(I don't need to name names, I've stated who are the useless ones in other threads).
Old 20 March 2005, 01:51   #7
DopPie
Zone Friend

Well, anyone that makes a working whd patch is not a useless programmer from my point of view. I dont really think a quit key is the criteria for a programmers qualification. It is however better to use a compatible method.
Old 20 March 2005, 06:32   #8
Codetapper

It depends if you want quality installs or not I guess. I say that anyone that is clever enough to create a WHDLoad patch for a game but doesn't bother to make it quittable IS useless! Why do 99% of the work and release rubbish when 1% extra effort would make it perfect?

And if you look through the WHDLoad docs, you will see that being able to quit a game is one of the main features mentioned repeatedly. By not allowing the quit option, you aren't following the guidelines for what an install should do.
Old 20 March 2005, 16:03   #9
DopPie
Zone Friend

Sure, strictly you are right. But I don't think the majority of users have 68000. I think most whd users have accelerated amiga's. In that case the install works fine. Not being able to quit doesn't make it useless. I have a nice collection of whd games here. Alot dont quit on my A600 but I think it is still good for something and that is playing the game. That situation is far from useless. You know what is useless? A whd install that still requires a floppy ;-) Since I don't think those installs exist all whd installs are usefull! (maybe elfmania that requires a floppy) Hey, there is grey between black and white you know.
Old 20 March 2005, 21:00   #10
Amiga1992

Personally it really annoys me not being able to quit back into WB.
Old 20 March 2005, 21:18   #11
spiff
Oh noes!

Quit keys are nice.. but what annoys me the most is the recent usage of kickstart emu/files and OSemu for most installs. Pretty much all of them are useless on CD32.. and I'm guessing most none expanded A600/A1200s.. where as the older JSTs or early WHD versions with file rips work great.

Then again.. some HD installs have extra button fixes as SOTBIII JST
Old 20 March 2005, 22:09   #12
DopPie
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Personally it really annoys me not being able to quit back into WB.
Agreed, but just an annoyance is different from "that software is useless" or "the one that programmed that is useless" which is a bold personal attack to the programmer (which is not me because I have yet to make a whd install )
Old 20 March 2005, 22:17   #13
oldpx

Depends on who says that. Codetapper surely uses the most suitable words for he knows this stuff better than most people.

Old 20 March 2005, 22:56   #14
DopPie
Zone Friend

Sure, but useless is a bit.....radical is that the word? Anyway enough on this
Old 20 March 2005, 23:02   #15
Codetapper

Arrow I think I know my stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
Quit keys are nice.. but what annoys me the most is the recent usage of kickstart emu/files and OSemu for most installs. Pretty much all of them are useless on CD32.. and I'm guessing most none expanded A600/A1200s.. where as the older JSTs or early WHD versions with file rips work great.
That's because most of the NDOS/MFM games have already been installed and only the Dos ones are left with lots of O/S calls. If there's only a few you can patch them but it's easier to use KickEmu. OSEmu is a cut down version of KickEmu and those installs are less reliable than KickEmu ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopPie
Agreed, but just an annoyance is different from "that software is useless" or "the one that programmed that is useless" which is a bold personal attack to the programmer (which is not me because I have yet to make a whd install )
If you're going to spend say 5-10 hours patching a game, why not do it properly? To add the quit key legally usually takes no more than one minute. One minute extra out of a 5 hour install is not much extra effort is it? I stand by my comments that it's useless programmers that don't add it when they've done all the other work. Failing to patch the keyboard routine usually means they don't fix the keyboard acknowledgement delay which makes the keyboard screw up and stop responding eventually (on all Amigas, not just 68000's - and the bug is present in probably 90% of games made before say 1993).
Old 21 March 2005, 08:03   #16
DopPie
Zone Friend

I did not know that part on locking the keyboard up. Thats a big fault indeed.